Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Things you refuse to do for 'weird' reasons

Oh forgot another major one for me...whenever I go out to eat, I have to sit with my back to a wall so I can watch the room. It makes me feel uncomfortable if people are behind me and I can’t see what they’re doing. I like to know the situation at all times. 😂 In the same vein, I hate when people walk too closely behind me. Not in crowded places, but like in college, when somebody would just (for some reason) insist on walking DIRECTLY behind me...makes me grit my teeth and be hyper aware of all the sounds going on behind me — that might just be a female thing, though. I know a lot of women inherently distrust strangers lurking in their blind spots, and I’m definitely one of them.
MercyInReach Topic Starter

Omg, thanks all of you for telling me your own 'strange' habits/won't do's. :) I will go through later when my brain isn't mush or hyper focused on one thing and read all of them since I did read some and noticed some things I also can't do/don't do for similar reasons.
Lumaslily

Everyone thinks I'm ridiculous for this but here I go!

I will NOT go near an aquarium or a fish tank because I have a fear of fish. One time at the zoo I thought I could conquer my fear and walk through the aquarium exhibit without looking down or closing my eyes. The little fish was fine and I even looked at the sharks. But then this HUGE UGLY BASS was swimming across the glass tank. Everyone was in awe while I had my head down, but I wanted to see too!

I see these lifeless eyes looking directly at me, into my soul, I was done for the rest of the trip.
Using plastic spoons for items like yogurt, pudding or anything that is eaten cold. I find everything tastes metallic if I use a metal spoon, but only with cold items. Hot items like soup, oatmeal, ect are okay to use a normal metal spoon because things don't taste metallic.

I usually have a couple disposeable plastic spoons kicking around for this purpose, and usually wash and reuse them to cut down on unnecessary waste.

Another one is waking up at 6:35 am, instead of 6:30am, because 6:30am just really sucks. I really am not a fan of early mornings, and I've discovered that 5 minutes can make a world of difference in terms of my attitude and ability to keep a positive outlook for the day.
1) I can't touch lined paper or hear it rub against each other! Oh it's like nails on a chalk board to me! I hate it so much, my spine shivers and the noise and the feeling. It's stuck with me for a bit

2) the sound is snow/splash pants.. Rubbing against each other. I lived somewhere when I was younger where the temp was -30C or higher every day in the winter. You needed snow pants. But I hated how they sounded, how they look, how they felt. I hated when a bunch of other people wear them and walk around. It's like a bad band!

3) food textures. I have no idea why but it has made me so picky. I can't eat food, cuz of the texture, weather it be too grainy, oily, mushy, crispy. If I hate it, I can't eat the food. It feels like I'm eating somthing wrong, like celery. How it gets stringing. Or mushrooms cuz they act like rubber. Even dumb things like soup with a bit or oil on the top ruins my day!

4) if something creeks, I do everything in my power to avoid it or stop. I feel like I'm sneaky around, or someone is going to yell at me. The floor creeks? Avoid it the best you can unless you step on it, then run. Door creeks, closing it as quickly as possible. I feel like I'm a bad person if it creeks

5) I must travel from place to place the same way. More room to room, if I'm at the school, I have go down the same hallway, stairwell and side of the hallway to feel normal. If I use a different route, I feel like I'm going to Miss It, be late, look weird walking inside. Dumb stuff

6) when I go to a fast food place and I see the same coworkers, I feel like they judge me for ordering the same thing everyday. I worry and sometimes go somewhere else to avoid them and not feel like a loser with no life

7) I have to have my phone turned away from people, I just hate the idea is them looking at what I'm doing and possibly judging me for it. Even if I'm just playing a game or texting someone.. I don't want them to
See it!
I cannot wear knitted clothing. It's just so itchy and uncomfortable. When I was a child, my mother used to force me to wear knitted jumpers and it drove me to the point of tears. Felt like torture that she forced me to wear those things. I have a similar issue with 'ribbed' clothing or clothing with tight elasticated cuffs. I used to not be able to stand jeans either, but I can endure them nowadays but tend to avoid them in favour of other trousers.

The sound of forks against plates. Noooope nope nope nope nope. One set of my grandparents have very squeaky crockery. Dinner there I spend half the time holding my ears because of all the damned squeaking that goes on. My family looks at me like I'm mad. It can also cause overstimulation in my ears which sort of sets off a weird shuddery feeling where every little noise sets it off during that state... shouting can also cause that as well as unexpected loud music.

I refuse IRL cuddles. Sad, but... I have a very sensitive waist. touch me at the sides of my stomach area, and you're in trouble. I don't hit people, but the accidental flailing and spasming is unpredictable. People seem to like the squeak it makes me yelp though. I guess to them it's hilarious. Even worse when people catch me by surprise when doing it.

I cannot sleep with a thick pillow. Makes my neck really uncomfortable.

I don't open youtube links in my default browser unless it's something I know I enjoy watching. I have to open them in a browser I'm not logged into google on. Mostly because I don't want to corrupt my recommendations.
this is super weird and awkward, but. Thanks to some jerk kids who I went to school with like ten years ago, they knew I was afraid of dead people and played off that.

#1 They told me that when your walking/driving pasta cemetery, if you breath the ghosts and demons will enter your body and losses you. So now it's just ingrained in me to hold my breath.

#2 I can't watch/read about Ancient Egypt. Those kids told me that into looked at a picture of a mummy for more than a hour I would turn into one. It scarred me so badly as a kid the entire subject of Egypt turns me off. It sucks because I wanted to be an Egyptologyst too.
I refuse to let people touch my feet. It's to the point I always sit cross legged and keep my feet under me. Though I know the reasoning for that. When I was little my toes were constantly getting in grown toe nails. And most of the times we went to a local pediatrician to fix it, but the anesthetics they used barely worked, so I could feel most of everything they did. To make matters worse, they refused to cauterize the toe nail to keep it from happening again for whatever reason. So my toenails kept getting ingrown over and over and over, until like, a year or two ago, I had my last ingrown toenail dealt with, and the doctor we saw decided to cauterize it, and my toes have been good since then.
Setting my alarm anything other than XX:00, XX:15, XX:30 or XX:45. No XX:25 og XX:10 here.

Isn't completely melted. Like, eating a piece of toast with a bit of unmelted butter is just impossible. Then I'll either scrape it off or or give it another go on the toaster to make it melt completely. If someone is making me breakfast, they'll have to butter my toast first, otherwise I'd rather just go without the butter. Luckily, my SO has a weird thing about when his coffee to be poured, so we compliment each other rather well on that part!
0V3RL0RD-P4RR0T wrote:
I refuse to let people touch my feet. It's to the point I always sit cross legged and keep my feet under me. Though I know the reasoning for that. When I was little my toes were constantly getting in grown toe nails. And most of the times we went to a local pediatrician to fix it, but the anesthetics they used barely worked, so I could feel most of everything they did. To make matters worse, they refused to cauterize the toe nail to keep it from happening again for whatever reason. So my toenails kept getting ingrown over and over and over, until like, a year or two ago, I had my last ingrown toenail dealt with, and the doctor we saw decided to cauterize it, and my toes have been good since then.

I feel you there.

Though for me it's less being touched and more being seen without at least socks because it still ain't really pretty down there. Then again I don't really like being touched in general anyways. But damn, those needles were scary long and the rest of the process was neither comfortable nor completely painless. Not something that's fun to go through multiple times. -.-

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Things you refuse to do for 'weird' reasons

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus