Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » The best parts about RP

Heyo! Positivity central here!

I've been struggling hardcore with my mental health the last few months especially, and while things are on the upswing, I'm in desperate need of more happy and positive things in my life.

So, here I am starting a thread where we share only the best parts about RP. The things we love, adore, make us happy, make us want to dive in for more! <3

Here is what I am personally think of for myself right now

1. When my partners and I are so excited about our characters/plot/ideas that we gush for hours and hours about it the point that we have inside jokes for things that haven't even happened in RP yet or ever!

2. When a scene makes me so emotional and hits me in the heart so hard that I literally cry. Happens to me at least twice a week; then again I am a big ole softy!

3. When someone has a very well made, organized, beautiful character page. With tons of detail, art, references, Pinterest board, youtube playlist! I love love love it!

4. When in my LFRP posts I ask for people to message me with their own ideas and thoughts about my ideas and thoughts and they ACTUALLY MESSAGE ME WITH IDEAS AND THOUGHTS :D :D :D Omg it makes me so happy when people message me just as excited as I am with ideas, theories and thoughts on my ideas.

5. When I click with someone almost instantly whether just talking OOC before the RP or within the first ten posts of the RP and I can tell it's going to be AMAZING because it already is.

6. When someone understands when I need to end an RP, put an RP on hold, or my muse is just not there. <3 Support and understanding makes me happy.

7. Those nights that I get a groove going with an RP partner and we're posting back and fourth for hours!! So much fun.

8. When the plot points we/I/my partners have been thinking about for weeks, and months and potentially even longer finally come into play whether in ways we expected or ways we didn't, and we are just glued to the our seats or falling on the floor with emotion.

9. When my partners or I create art of our couples/characters together. <3 <3

10. Sending songs back and fourth that remind each other of our characters or the current scene :)

11. When people are willing to discuss issues happening in the RP in a mature and productive fashion and instead of having to end the RP we are able to continue it with everyone happy :D :D

12. When my partners are as obsessed with my characters and I am, and I am as obsessed with their characters as they are. *-*

13. Whenever one of my partners becomes more than just a writing partner, but a friend. A good friend who is always there for me, and I there for them, through good and bad. Who supports my career and I their career. Who makes writing with them so much fun, not only because they are a great writer and their character is fantastic, but because I am writing with someone who is like my best friend <3 I love all of you, y'all know who you are.
Claine Moderator

1) When I get excited about a RP I can't. stop. drawing. it. All day I sit at work wanting to go home so I can work on RP art!

2) Giving / recieving character art! I'm always so grateful when a friend draws my character! But as I said above, when I'm into a RP you can't stop me drawing it, so I also equally love giving art to my friends!

3) Silly half-IC half-OOC crack banter. It's so much fun and actually helps cement the dynamics between characters!

4) Being so hype and in the moment that you can't help but staying up late for just-one-more-post. (Getting up the next morning for work is the worst part of RP)

5) Looking back on friendships and realising "Wow I've known this person for x years." and realising how lucky you are to have met them, and how weird the circumstances of you meeting each other were.

6) Talking to old friends and getting nostalgic for old characters / stories that happened years ago.

7) Looking back at your old writing (or art) and realising how much you've improved.
Rogue-Scribe

I highlighted a few points from Mercy and Claine to comment on...

Mercy
Mercy wrote:
7. Those nights that I get a groove going with an RP partner and we're posting back and fourth for hours!! So much fun.

10. Sending songs back and fourth that remind each other of our characters or the current scene :)

12. When my partners are as obsessed with my characters and I am, and I am as obsessed with their characters as they are.

Claine
Claine wrote:
4) Being so hype and in the moment that you can't help but staying up late for just-one-more-post. (Getting up the next morning for work is the worst part of RP)

5) Looking back on friendships and realising "Wow I've known this person for x years." and realising how lucky you are to have met them, and how weird the circumstances of you meeting each other were.

6) Talking to old friends and getting nostalgic for old characters / stories that happened years ago.

Yes! These! To Add to Claine's#4 and Mercy's #7... You get those post exchanges going that feeds each other and don't want to stopyou get to work all sleep deprived and you check RPR to see if you can post to your favourite RP at linch/breaks!

To Add to Claine's #5 & #6, I'm still in RL contact with some people I met in stories we were writing tewnty years ago. We reminisce about old stories and co-writers that we have lost contact with over the years. It is also heartwrenchingly sad when you find that old online RP friends pass away. I had a period of mourning back in February when I found out a friend and co-writer from the first decade of this century had died. The bonds are real!

On Mercy's #10 Its fun to share songs in an RP with my writing partners! I added several youtube subscriptions because of music shared with my character that I didnt know existed!

On Mercy's #12 Yes! This! we love each others characters we get excited to make a character connection and work on each other's histories! :)

I'll add more but i'm working....
Since this is really similar to what Mipps has started previously with this forum topic here and I agree with what everyone said, I'm just gonna link it instead of typing it out because I'm laaaaazy. :)
This thread rocks! <3

1. Working in the lore/general environment into posts. I have worked really hard to build up an old fashioned kingdom, and it hits me right in them feels when players occasionally include facts about the lore into their posts. It shows me they're enjoying the setting enough to mention it, and that means the world.

2. Humor! I love posts that end up making me sincerely laugh at loud; be it a goofy spin on words or the player itself cracking jokes at the expense of their own roleplay, etc!

3. Unique characters. I don't think many of us enjoy stereotypes, so it's always a blast to create alongside an original character -- bonus points if they have a beautifully detailed profile, too!

4. Story tellers. As much as I adore running larger group plot for folk, I enjoy getting to just play and join the action as much as the next person. So I really admire fellow story tellers/creators that propose a truly engaging and exciting plot.

5. The possibilities! When all is said and done, what I love most about roleplay is probably the endless possibilities when players are creative enough. Sky's the limit!
1) Meeting someone whose ideas blend well with mine and when we improvise it’s like a dance but with prose
2) When their characters really tick my boxes and I feel proud of my friends for being COOL
3) Making up crack scenarios between us
4) Pitting each of our characters together in really unlikely pairings (see 3)
5) the history
6) Finding a new favourite song from a character’s playlist
Oh, Mercy. You're so awesome to put this up (and Mipps too for having the idea) because now I'm getting secondhand joy from all the things you guys have mentioned.

1. Going online and seeing my notifications and inbox filled with good stuff. It's like Christmas Day and every single one is like an incredible surprise present.

2. Other people actually reading my character's profile and mentioning what they think about it. It's incredibly flattering to know that other people appreciate my creations. Even more when they tell me which part they like. Pure endorphins.

3. Getting random messages about how they want to write an RP with me. Then they say they just found me in a random forum thread and followed the trail to my profile. Do you know how incredible it feels when other people confess they were actually attracted to what you offer to the world?

Okay, typing on my phone and it's getting really difficult. But my list could practically go on forever. These things are probably my Top 3 though, and they're what makes me refresh my browser just to see new updates. I love RPR.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » The best parts about RP

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus