Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Older male OC's, what is your opinion on them?

This is an interesting topic you've brought up here, Winter. The oldest character I have at the moment is my thirty-six year old Maxwell, though he's far older because of supernatural circumstances. Characters older than forty, though? Never had a chance to play as one; the closest I've gotten is Maxwell and a very long-lived deity who acts like she's a youthful grandmother despite looking twenty-seven.

But playing alongside one? I'd like that! I've started to develop a mild curiosity with older men and women, especially if older sometimes doesn't equal wiser. Though for an older/younger dynamic, the youngest I can offer is my twenty-year-old Merrin; I'm not into playing people younger than eighteen. Romance-wise? I don't mind at all; I'm pretty open to any possibility of romance, even with older characters.

(Also, Moriarty from Fate/Grand Order, huh? Good taste. Very good taste.)
I love them though haven't had much experience playing them or with them, I have enjoyed the experiences I have had. My oldest character is 48, Jack, Professor, currently in a relationship with a much younger student.

I like older non-supernatural characters because of the maturity they have, as well as they just have a sort of spark and development to them that is especially nice to write with. Age gaps are fun as well, but writing similarly aged character is just as much so.
I play a diverse range of ages. It widens the scope for opportunities and unique perspective massively. I'd encourage everyone to step outside their comfort zone and try a new perspective.
MasterWinter Topic Starter

Wow! This picked up since I last viewed it! Sweet!

Also apologizes for the delay in responding. This topic got lost in the sea of updates, and I've been busy settling into my new living space. -anime sweats-

So sounds like many would love to see something different for once, and have an older OC on RPR.

tenor.gif

Because among my many OC's who I've started, and struggle to finish a decent amount of before I toss them up onto RPR, I do happen to have an older male OC in the works.

Base look

1hCa1UJ.jpg

Most of you might recognize him, some might not. For those of you who don't his name is Reinhardt and he's a tank from the Overwatch game. Funny thing is I hadn't even thought to use Reinhardt, until I saw some images of him like the following two.

Fancy Reinhardt

ZulRiVK.jpg

EuQhrkI.jpg

So we shall see where I can go with him.
I love him!! Keep us posted.

Here's a couple of mine in the advent anyone needs connections in the same age range.

https://www.rprepository.com/site.php?char=1425952

https://www.rprepository.com/c/primo/285719

Fiebs wrote:
I love him!! Keep us posted.

Here's a couple of mine in the advent anyone needs connections in the same age range.

https://www.rprepository.com/site.php?char=1425952

https://www.rprepository.com/c/primo/285719

I promise to keep ya'll updated!

TCJq6eC.gif

Very, very nicely done with your OC's! I enjoyed reading them! Especially Silas!
I absolutely love older characters, and not just 'ancient being who still looks young' although that can be super cool as well. (and I have a few of those.) It's rare and refreshing to see an actual older character in general.

One of my fav characters of mine, EVER is Eli. He's physically in his late sixties roughly, but is actually much older. He's world weary and cynical, bitter over not being as strong as he once was. He also has a bad limp and some chronic pain. In my opinion he's actually my most interesting character and has a ton of depth, but can be one of the hardest of mine to find RP for.
https://www.rprepository.com/c/magus

Warlocke wrote:
I absolutely love older characters, and not just 'ancient being who still looks young' although that can be super cool as well. (and I have a few of those.) It's rare and refreshing to see an actual older character in general.

One of my fav characters of mine, EVER is Eli. He's physically in his late sixties roughly, but is actually much older. He's world weary and cynical, bitter over not being as strong as he once was. He also has a bad limp and some chronic pain. In my opinion he's actually my most interesting character and has a ton of depth, but can be one of the hardest of mine to find RP for.
https://www.rprepository.com/c/magus

-book marks Eli's page to finish reading later-

I so want to read his history, but at the moment I'm trying to get over a cold. So my body is saying: Less doing things, more sleeping. But so far what I've read about him is good!

I like how you do what I do. Make him supernatural, but give him issues like the hip pain/trouble. Reminds me of my werelion who's got the limp in both his legs and both knees are bad. It makes him feel that he is not the proud warrior he once was, and that no one would want to love him because they'd have to take care of him so much.

My werelion's human form is Ujiyasu Hōjō from Samurai Warriors. And since Ujiyasu uses a Shikomizue for a weapon and a walking stick, it made perfect sense to use him for my OC. When my guy's knees went bad he opted to use the Shikomizue, though again he feels it makes him look weak especially since he is a Southern Warlord.
Sergeant Ursa (played by MasterWinter) Topic Starter

Hey all, Winter here!

So. It took me some time to get this guy decently ready, but here he is! I still have some fleshing out to do, so he is not fully complete.

If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know. Other wise, I hope ya'll like him!
I think he looks good, Winter.
At first glance your character reminded me of Odin the Norse father of the gods

I have a few older characters that participate in my RPs frequently like Bowen who isn't so young yet still menacing
Bartender Morgan also pops into many stories often and gets in trouble from time to time
Zachary is a powerful wizard and he also plays the grandpa role for other characters too! And I have a few others if you wish to take a look for ideas
Sergeant Ursa (played by MasterWinter) Topic Starter

BOWEN warlord rogue bandit wrote:
I think he looks good, Winter.
At first glance your reminded me of Odin the Norse father of the gods

I have a few older characters of mine that participate in my like frequently like Bowen who isn't so young yet still menacing

Ah! Dōmo arigatōgozaimashita (thank you very much) Tusitala! I will certainly look them all over! Just from what you've said thus far about them, makes me very interested in reading about them! ^-^

Edit: -re-reads your post- You know, I'd not thought about that. That he looked like the All Father. Now that you mention it, I do see it. Cool!
In a narrative sense, I use older men to portray what reality and experience does to a character. They say age brings frailty, but to me, age brings dangerous wisdom.

Are you more intimidated by a brown hair and cherry cheeked wizard, or an old one with plants growing from his grizzled grey beard?

I dunno, I feel elder characters are underappreciated

Thatguywhogames wrote:
In a narrative sense, I use older men to portray what reality and experience does to a character. They say age brings frailty, but to me, age brings dangerous wisdom.

Are you more intimidated by a brown hair and cherry cheeked wizard, or an old one with plants growing from his grizzled grey beard?

I dunno, I feel elder characters are underappreciated

My vote goes to the: "old one with plants growing from his grizzled grey beard"

That would just make me do a chit ton of: WTH?! How did he do that?! Are those real? How does he keep them alive? Etc.

And I so agree with you on what you said: "age brings dangerous wisdom"

Don't mess with old people, for they have far more experience and wisdom, and most likely can and will use it to kick some butt.
Honestly, for me, an older male oc is nice to have. Considering most elders do have a sense of wisdom. As for me, my character Antero is a time traveler, and while he's in his older form, he has more experience and is much calmer when things go wrong. I honestly think people should have older male OC to be like a father figure or a guide really.
AFWinters

Older males are great for story and May-December relationships, I think. They used to be pretty much the only type I'd go for in RP, but a good one was always difficult to come by.

CoyBoat275's post
CoyBoat275 wrote:
Honestly, for me, an older male oc is nice to have. Considering most elders do have a sense of wisdom. As for me, my character Antero is a time traveler, and while he's in his older form, he has more experience and is much calmer when things go wrong. I honestly think people should have older male OC to be like a father figure or a guide really.

That's what I think too. Now I know it cannot always happen with an OC, or plot in general, but if there could be a way to fit in an older male to fit either a father figure or a guide it would be cool. I think I had an older male OC be a mentor, and in a sense a father figure, to a different OC of mine, but it was for back story only.

I may try to get into more older male OC's, if I can work on it.

I don't recall anyone giving their OC an older form before. But that is cool. ^-^
AFWinters wrote:
Older males are great for story and May-December relationships, I think. They used to be pretty much the only type I'd go for in RP, but a good one was always difficult to come by.

Curious, as I am trying to understand, how is it great for May-December relationships?

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Older male OC's, what is your opinion on them?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus