Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » SciFi RPG: Interstellar Wayfarers (CLOSED)

"On Beta Antares Four, they play a real game. It's a man's game, but of course it's probably a little beyond you. It requires intelligence." The soldier chuckled, taking out his cards, and laying them out, shuffling them around. "Fizzbin. It's not too difficult. Each player gets six cards, except for the player on the dealer's right, who gets seven."

While the guards and the men of the Death Korps joked around and played a game of Fizzbin, Robbins was holding a rather interesting conversation with an equally interesting person. When he spoke, though, there was something about him that seemed... unsure. "Good luck turning us over. If I were you, though, I'd watch out. Helping our wounded might bring on another war for you. But I understand. We have been in hundreds of wars, all throughout our existence."
Cigol Nikephoros (played by Alonzo) Topic Starter

The Valhalla, was battered and beat all over the place and she cried out with the fury of her weapons to soothe the pain. Navigator Liala could feel it too, every time a missile struck the hull, a sensor rod destroyed, a weapon room incinerated; she felt it all too well.

But that didn't stop neither of them. The ship continued its wild piloting and threw back as much fire as it could toward the Bismarck. Then they were finally pass the battle barge and nearly out of weapon's range. With their current course, they were now handing furiously toward the Hand of Terel.

"We have successfully completed our maneuvers Commander," Liala said, enthralled in her navigational data. "We will exiting the Bismarck's weapons range momentarily and are currently on a collision course with the Hand of Terel."

"The Bismarck managed to bring up their shields after our first fusion nuclear launch," alerted Intelligence Officer Briten. "We are still trying to assess their damage levels."

"Our own shields are nearing collapse, at 10%. Over half our weapons are inoperable. Trying to get a full assessment now," reported Chief Tactical Officer Nai'ti as the ship shook once more under the Bismark's fire.

"We shall worry about that all in a few," stated the Commander.

He was watching his tactical screens, reading the data of both the Bismarck and Hand. Perhaps there was a way to truly put on a show and make sure that they escape the Bismarck's firing range early.

"Navigator Liala..."

Tonia Liala's avatar popped up on one of the command chairs tactical displays.

"Navigator, we will be staying on the collision course," Commander Cigol said.

"Commander," Liala said with a look of confusion. "If we're going to ram a ship shouldn't we be-"

Navigator Liala stopped dead in her tracks, brought up several screen and threw herself into the data. She looked back at the Commander and gave a devilishly grin.

"Ohhhh Commander...I didn't think you'd were this impish!"

"Well in any case, you saved me and explanation," Cigol commented, as the ship once again rocked, slamming him into the shock frame. "Once again your piloting skills are key. And send them a cyber greeting if you're abled."

Navigator Liala nodded and blinked from existence. Cigol, tapped a few buttons opening up a line down to Engineering. "Assistance Chief Susan, report."

"Commander! We're facing overloads down here and the shutdown of most of the conversion reactors! If we don't give it a rest soon, we'll be servilely lacking on power for anything. Not to mentioned that last attack, completely knocked out the FTL jump drive and engine power has been reduced by 17% and rising. Let's not even mention the heat sinks malfunctioning or that I'm having to reroute power just to make sure the engines stay at their normal levels," Assistant Chief Susan said, just as exhausted as the rest of her team.

"Assistant Chief, we need that power."

The engineer gave look of annoyance then submission. "I am not Chief Dext, Commander. I can only do so much. I'll do what I can though."

And the link was cut.

Communications Officer Ty looked over to the Commander, "Sir, just before we got into battle with the Bismarck, the Hand of Terel, sent back a reply to our message."

"I don't want to hear what those Tacs Riah'ssel (hairless cats/infants/those that are naive) have to say," Commander Cigol spoke with a surge of ice. "What until after we have passed them, then open another channel."

Ty seemed to recoil in his chair and nodded hastily, before focusing on his work.

The ship shook again and soon alarsm began to sound.

"WARNING COLLISION ALERT! WARNING COLLISION ALERT!"

That was the cue, and Liala sent the large lumbering battleship into another series of maneuvers. The Valhalla went aimed at the Hand of Terel like a vengeful bat out of hell. She kept on screaming toward until, she was merely a few thousand kilometers away, and then her thrusters cut in. The ship pitched and yawed, traveling so close to the Hand of Terel, that one could literally see out the windows into the other. They knew by now that the Bismarck, if they were smart, dare not fire, unless they wish to risk a stray shot hitting the diplomatic ship.

Liala located where their command deck was a devilishly thought entered her mind.

She sent a digital clone of herself to the Hand of Terel and wormed into their communications.

"Heya guys. Sorry about this. But I just wanted to say, you might not wanna move, as uh...things could get bad. I mean Imma good pilot, don't know about ya'll. Just either way don't move and enjoy the show of yours truly! Bye!"

She sent the Valhalla into a roll, have the top "Conn" mast, that was sheared off earlier on the bottom. They neared the bridge tower of the Hand of Terel, the distance closing remarkably fast.
Time seemed to stop, as those in the Navigation Bridge realized that they could look out and see people on the command deck of the diplomatic ship. It was only for an instant, until the Valhalla, activated her all her thrusters and secondary engines, and she went rising above the command tower, with her tail end began to pitch up. The ship continued this maneuver, her nose now pitched directly over top the other ship's bridge before she pitched down, and through another set of maneuvers, was back on the original course traveling "backwards."

"Liala...you have to show me how to do that. I think that'd be more than enough to scare my husband into paying child support," Chief Tactical Officer Nai'ti murmured impressed.

Liala appeared on her screen and smirked, "Not often I get to do that. We should be out of range now."

"Begin damage control and repairs, and have a damage report for me soon," Commander Cigol ordered. "Ty open up a channel and let them know we are willing to accept their response at the moment. However, also advise them this is the third time they have violated a sanctioned military order to vacant the battlezone."

Communications Officer Ty nodded.

"Lt. Briten, get me an assessment of the Bismarck, the Time Dancer, and the other ship that has disappeared," Commander Cigol stated, before making his way to the lift. "I will be in the Main Infirmary. Mr. Nai'ti you have the Conn."

"Aye sir," responded Nai'ti.

Lt. Colonel Follox and the few marines, went running through the corridors of the Time Dancer, trying to find the engineering crews, as the ship rocked and shook.

"Sumsobitchs!"

He looked at his hand scanner and went over the map that most his teams had crudely put together, before everything hit the fan.

"Sir, their command deck isn't that far from this position. If we can maybe we can make it there before the hostiles do."

"Good head marine. Let's get moving," he ordered as they hurried toward the ship's bridge. "Keep your eyes sharps and guns hot. I don't trust any bastard on this boat that's not carrying the letter V on their sleeve."
"SIR! They've gone out of shell range! Should we fire the missiles?" The 1st Lieutenant asked, and looked over at Braesk. He looked over, and was about to reply, when he heard someone.

"Fire every missile. I want them locked on, and I want those bastards blown halfway to hell. And I want it done NOW!" Ascrith ordered, and now began to retake control. "I want the engines at full power. Follow their course, get them destroyed, but keep us in between the Hand, and everyone else, of course."

The ship rocked, too, as it moved and was hit by enemy weaponry. She wasn't about to get out of this alone, or without a scratch. Hell, they already got scars that would stay with their soldiers for a long, long time.

Robbins looked out the window of the Hand, and saw an amazing thing. The ship flew right past them. He was amazed at the piloting skills. Hell, after this, if both survived, he'd shake his hand. Well, if the pilot was a man, that is. He didn't like shaking girls hands. Too damn awkward sometimes, but he'd do that, if he needed.
"Sir! The Valhalla is ona direct collision course with us!" The sensor officer reported.

Captain Tolarim started spouting an impressive array of obscenities, "That tears it! If they're trying to ram us I'm blowing them out fo the sky, neutrality be damned to the Void!"

"Sir! Our computer systems are being hacked!" Came the voice of Aelya, their ancient AI, "I am attempting to-"

She was cut off by Liala over their comms, "Heya guys. Sorry about this. But I just wanted to say, you might not wanna move, as uh...things could get bad. I mean Imma good pilot, don't know about ya'll. Just either way don't move and enjoy the show of yours truly! Bye!"

Everyone in the bridge stared in amixture of shock, horror and a hint of awe as the Valhalla's Navigation Bridge passed within visual rangeof the bridge of the Hand. Captain Tolarim stood up, eyes wide, "Those Flicker-life fools are utterly insane!" He exploded, "They used us a gods-damned shield! So much for damned neutrality being a protection!"

Meanwhile, Nariel and Nathaniel had been staring at the piloting display, both of them seemed a little less fazed than they should have been, "Wow, that's the second most impressive display of piloting skills I've ever seen." Nariel said.

Her husband glanced at her, "I think we should go up to the bridge. A display like that can't mean anything good." He looked over at Robbins, "I'm afraid you will have to excuse us, captain. It appears a situation has come up." It appeared that Terelain Elders had a knack for gross understatement.

The two hurried from their rooms, probably assuming that Robbins would go back to his men. By the time they got to the bridge, Captain Tolarim was staning up, his tail twitching agitatedly and his claws slowly extending and retracting, "Tell my fighter screen to get off their lazy behinds and do their jobs!" He snapped, "If any of those missiles look as if they're going to so much as sneeze in our directon I want them blasted out of the sky! And someone tell me what the hell just happened with that insane stun those idiots just pulled!?"

"Captain, calm down." Nariel ordered sternly, "Comms, broadcast to all ships."

"Channel open, Elder." The comms officer said quietly.

"I hope you had fun with that stunt you just pulled, Valhalla. I must say I was quite impressed with your pilot. In all my twenty three thousands years I've only seen one other example of piloting that could overshadow what I just witnessed, never mind how utterly reckless that was." Her tone was was like a mother scolding a bunch of little children, "now then. I want everyone to stop shooting and listen. I am getting tired of you children actin like spoiled brats. 'He stole our ancient artefact and destroyed it', 'He invaded my planet' , 'He blew up one of our ships', 'He blew up our planet'." She mimed their voices with high-pitched childish tones, "All of these accusations and attacks are getting rather pointless. Now you endanger my vessel, drag in third parties and otherwise make a mess of things. Well play time is over children. The Bismarck is to autodestruct its missiles, the Valhalla is to retreat beyond weapons range of the Bismarck and this fighting is to end immediately, or by all the stars in Heaven I will put an end to this myself... and boys? You won't like it when I do that. You have thirty seconds to comply, or I dispatch a message to my homeworld. In three months time the Grand Fleet will roll down on both your nations, enforce a ceasefire and bomb any planet that resists into dust. This is not a threat, gentlemen, this is a fact. End transmission."

The entire bridge of the ship was silent, they were all staring at the Elder in shock. "Dear... did... you just declare war on them?" Nathaniel asked mildly.

"They've begun to annoy me." she replied, "They better pray I don't get angry."
"Oh boys, don't try to make Ascrith do what you want. He listens to three people. Me, his leaders, and Himself. So, whatever you do, don't try to make him stop. Those missiles are going for the Valhalla, and the Valhalla only. They shut themselves off when they hit a friendly, so in reality, if it hits you, most you get is a dent. I'm sorry, but if you declared war on us, you can go straight to Hell, and we will help you all the way," Captain Robbins said, standing tall, and watching them. They weren't that smart when it came to things that were happening.

"Let me remind you what is going on, hmm? You have a battleship, a very large one, too, guarding you and trying to stop anyone from getting to you. That battleship can also blow the hell out of you instantly. You have 20 of the deadliest humans in the universe also inside, and you have me. So, what's your choice?"
Nariel turned to him, a slight fronw on her face, "My dear boy... this might be a lightly armed diplomatic ship... but you don't kno who you're dealing with here. Let me make this clear for you. I'm old. Very old. Very very old. I've seen pretty much everything at least twice. I've been in a siutation similarto this once before... during the Second Great War. The Gillorians made the choice of firing on me. I made the choice of allowing myself to be angry. The Gillorians are now extinct. It took seven hundred years and the utter annhiliation of one hundred and seventy two planets, eight stars and the significant alteration of the orbits of twelve planets. I've lived long enough not to particularly care about dying any more. You can blow this ship to hell and back, but I can assure you that you will regret it." She took a deep breath and then said, "I am trying to end this conflict peacefully. The threat of force seems to be the only thing you lot respond to... so I'm using it. Unless you want your precious battleship to engage the Valhalla again? i'll even give you ringside seats at the observaton deck so ou watch the fireworks when they both blow up."

"If all else fails, I can attempt to infiltrate the systems of both vessels and disable their weaponsand shields." The AI, Aelya, said, "I may not succeed... but I think I can outsmart their cyberwarfare suits... I am, after all, one of the most advanced warfare intelligences ever designed... and I've had thousands of years of self-improvement."

"Could you do that?" Nathaniel asked.

"As I said, I might fail. But I can certainly try. I'did something similar back during the War and destroyed an enemy ship the same size as the Bismarck. Of course, the systems I have to work with on this vessel are not militay grade... but i think I can work around it. I might be able to subvert their own cyberwarfare suites." The AI replied.

"Damn....and not surprised. There's a large wave of missiles heading for us," Lt. Briten stated dismissively, not even awed anymore.

"The way we are flying now I don't think we can evade them De'nala," Liala said to Chief Tactical Officer Nai'ti. "I'm all outta tricks..."

It was the Lieutenant's turn to grin now and Liala got a curious look. "Lieutenant...what are you planning...?"

"Well..." the Lieutenant managed to hid, what ever scenario she was running from Liala, who looked on anxious. "I'm planning to blanket the area and blow us up."

"I don't think the Captain would like that idea Lieutenant," Liala quipped. "But you're being mischievous about it. So I think I just may like it."

Liutenant Nai'ti released the security controls and allowed Liala to analyze the data. Her eyes returned back to the African officer and she nodded. "Oh this is good....oh this is really good."

"Well...then, lets get started..."

Commander Cigol walked into the Main Infirmary, and the sight was something he could never get use to. Bodies filled every available space. Blood splattered on the once pristine white walls. Moans and wails of pain and suffering echoed, throughout the place and doctors, nurses and medics tried to treat the wounded and those that weren't too far gone.

"Commander, this way." Dr. Lucas Rodden, scooped him up and dragged him toward a private ward. He worry his doctor's mask, and surgeon's gloves, blood all over his coat. "He's in worst shape than I originally thought, but he slightly better. The nanities are taking longer than usual in accelerating the healing process. Dr. Stratos deduce, that it may be from some outside psionic influence that's causing them to act that way. Don't really know. Found internal hemorrhaging that had to be taken care of immediately, and some shrapnel poisoning."

The came to the ward and Commander Cigol saw Captain Nikoli in the bed, his usual eye patch removed and replaced with bandages.

"Can I speak to him?"

Dr. Lucas Rodden grumbled something about always messing with the rest of his patients, before, injecting a substance into the IV pump.

Captain Nikoli's eyes flickered open and he searched his surroundings in a somewhat panicky state. His eyes fell onto Cigol and he realized where he was.

"Sta..sta..."

"Status?" Commander Cigol asked.

Captain Nikoli gave a sluggish nod.

"We are heavily damaged Captain. Shields are barely operational, most of our reactors are looking at emergency shutdowns, and most of our weapons are gone," Commander Cigol reported.

"En...en...enemy...?" Nikoli rasped out with a struggle.

"We are still trying to assess their damage, but we believe we struck critical blows upon their vessel. We are still in the process of detaining those responsible for the crimes on Calypso, but there has been...intervention by several other vessels in the area," responded the Commander.

Captain Nikoli nodded and turned his head away. Commander Cigol simply stood by, awaiting any more inquires. After a few moments, the Captain looked back to the Commander and their eyes met. Cigol could see the return of the pain that the crew of the Valhalla had fought so hard to not allow the Captain to succumb to.

"Sto...stop...su....surr...ender..." Captain Nikoli struggled to say, their eyes still locked.

"Captain, that would be unwise. They would surely destroy us," Cigol countered.

"Stop...no...m...mor..more....lives...."

It was silent in the room. The Commander looked at the Captain and nodded.

"Yes sir Captain."

Commander Cigol turned on his heel and exited the Main Infirmary.

He would surrender.

"Lieutenant Nai'ti..." Communication's Officer Ty called out. "I'm getting a message from Fighter Control, relayed from Commander Cigol. They state we are to issue an immediate surrender order, and notify the Bismarck that our commanding officer will be heading toward them on an unharmed shuttle."

Everyone looked up in shock.

"What?!" exclaimed Nai'ti.

"Its an order. We are to surrender," Ty said.

Silence filled the command deck.

"What ever decision you're going to make, better make it soon. Those missiles aren't stopping," Lt. Briten noted.

Lieutenant Nai'ti closed her eyes and then sighed. "Power down weapons. Sound the alert. Ty, send the message of surrender and let them know Commander Cigol is on his way in a shuttle."

Communications Officer Ty nodded and sent the word. Lieutenant Nai'ti slumped in the command chair, her shoulders sagged. Navigator Liala popped up on one of the displays and shrugged.

"Was bound to happen Chief."

Commander Cigol sat alone in the small shuttle craft, two boxes beside him in the co-pilot's chair. He looked over to them and his eyes lingered. In one was a specially made, battle sword he received from his feline wife, when they were first married. Most thought it merely a trinket, but they never realized that it was quite the lethal weapon in the most capable of hands.

In the other box, was a device, given to him long ago by his superiors at C.A.I.N. He knew of many who found themselves using it, but admittedly, didn't think he would have to.

He saw the Valhalla's bay doors open up and he set an automated course toward the Bismarck.

With nothing else to do, but wait. He removed the device inside the second box and attached it to himself, before sitting in the back and beginning to meditate.
"Sir, the Valhalla has surrendered! What is your orders?" The 1st Lieutenant asked, shocked. He stood up from his position at the front of the ship, and looked at Ascrith and Braesk. Everyone was in shock and awe. They finally did it. They finally beat the Valhalla back to her hole. And now they were surrendering.

Ascrith looked at Braesk, amazed that the ship would actually surrender. He usually would try to destroy the ship, but he didn't want to. Not now. He wanted to help them. Deep inside, both of them felt a tang of sorrow for the men. "Deactivate the missiles and reroute them. I want those men unharmed. Send over 10 unarmed shuttles carrying medical personal, and I want that ship in tow in 20 minutes. We are bringing her back. Inform them of our decision, Colonel,"

Braesk nodded, and turned on his comms. They knew that there probably was going to be a war with these people, he knew that nothing good was going to come out of fighting them. But maybe, maybe he could help them.

"Valhalla, this is the Bismarck. We accept your surrender. We are sending over 20 shuttles to help with your wounded, and evacuate the ship. On board is our best surgeons, who will hopefully be able to help the Captain with his wounds. We are asking the status of his condition, so we may assess what we have to do,"

Ascrith walked forward, carrying a ceremonial sword with him. Yes, he did have his favorite sword in his sheath, but he knew what had to be done. He ordered the bay doors opened, and stepped forward to help. He watched the men come in, and that's when his heart almost broke, knowing what he did to these men.

Robbins stood his ground. He wasn't giving in, he wasn't leaving. He was angry, oh so angry at them. At their ways, at their cockiness. They would pay. Oh lord they would pay. He looked at his wrist, and began typing something on it, looking very, very angry. Back on the Bismarck, the massive supercomputer that was the heart of the ship lurched to life, and began transmitting a strong and powerful signal. It was going to jam their communications, and hack into the network to destroy the AI. Hopefully, it would work.

"You picked the wrong enemy, Elder. You picked the wrong nation. And you know what? We are tired of your genocidal ways. Yes, we did commit genocide. I don't know how we are going to get through that one, but I swear on my life, you won't get through this. Declare war. I dare you. Or, wait, should they come out here to find your dead body in space?"

Robbins reached into his vest, next to his chest, and pulled out a small, 9mm Walther pistol from the old ages, pointed it at the man, and fired off four shots, three for the chest, and one for the head. Six more shots left. He knew that there was going to be a war between someone, and he knew who it was going to be with. And with that, Jacob shouted the kill order to his comms, directed at the Death Korps, who reacted fast.

The lieutenant heard it, and looked at the soldiers. Not good for them. He had one hand on the deck of cards, when he lifted his SMG up into the air, and fired off a few rounds. The rest of them did the same with their guns, picking targets and spraying them.

Commander Cigol heard a beep at the shuttle's controls and went to attend to it.

"Valhalla, this is the Bismarck. We accept your surrender. We are sending over 20 shuttles to help with your wounded, and evacuate the ship. On board is our best surgeons, who will hopefully be able to help the Captain with his wounds. We are asking the status of his condition, so we may assess what we have to do."

The Commander quirked a brow and hit the communication controls and intercepting the message.

"This is Commander Cigol Nikephoros, Commanding Officer of the Valhalla. You will not, I repeat you will not send shuttles to the ship. She will remain outside of weapons range and accept no assistance from the Bismarck. I await for a shuttle dock to be cleared and taken into your custody. End."

He left the communications channel open and stared at the large juggernaut. The shuttle was no more than a knat next to the behemoth. All the Commander could do was wait, with a brow raised.

"...cleared and taken into your custody. End."

Everyone heard the transmission from both the Bismarck and the Commander's shuttle. Liala was still piloting the mauled battleship far beyond the weapons of the battle barge, but orders had been orders and they had long stand down from their any intentions that seemed hostile.

"This...this just seems wrong..." Chief Nai'ti spoke aloud as she shook her head.

"Everyone's luck runs out eventually De'Nala. And seems ours have," Liala sighed. "I just hope the Commander knows what he is doing."

Lieutenant Nai'ti let her eyes swivel to Liala's digital avatar and locked in. "The problem is...I think I know just exactly what he's doing. And I don't know whats worse. Him doing it or us never able to stop him from the first place."

"What do you mean?" Liala asked.

"Think Tonia. After the Ursan incident, his wife retired from the Kitt'ane Royal Fleet and took the kids away from the Inner Worlds to the frontier," stated Nai'ti.

"Wait..." Liala scanned the ship's computer and returned her gaze wide eye. "No, you don't..."

"They were on Calypso, Liala. They were on Calypso..." the tactical officer said, trying not to choke up.

Lt. Colonel Follox bursted onto the Time Dancer's command deck, hot and bothered.

"Alright! I need to know what the hell is going on out there and with my people, and I need to know now!"
"What the hell? Did they really say that?" Braesk shouted, angry. He knew what he had to do. He grabbed the 1st Lieutenant, and told him to take the comms. He was going down to one of the bays. He reached it, getting into one of the shuttles, and getting on the comms. Somehow, he was going to get there. He typed a few things, and with that, encrypted the message, and sent it out again. He wanted permission to help. He also put that the ship was standing down, and no weapons were online.

Ascrith stood, holding a medal that he had with him. It was the Medal of Valour that the first leader wore on his shirt. It still was stained with his blood from when he was shot. Words couldn't describe it, and he didn't expect them to. He was sorry for what he did, but he knew that this wouldn't be very easy. He was, in fact, prepared to offer himself up. Which was why he was unarmed, and wore no armor, just some clothes.

Cigol tapped a few keys into the shuttle and let the automatic docking procedures take over.

He passed bay a surface and saw his reflection in it. He saw the cuts and bruises and scars on his face, all indications of the battles they went through. He looked at the small device on his arm, monitoring his body signs and then took a final look at the sword on his hilt. He readjusted it slightly and fixed the collar of his dress uniform, just as the shuttle shuddered and docked. He heard the airlock pressurize and he opened it up and let his eyes adjusted to the bright light.

Cigol glimpsed around and did a double take as he realized there was obvious high levels of psionic energy on board the Bismarck. He closed his eyes and relaxed, using his own meager psionic abilities to block it all out, before descending down the ramp toward his welcome party.

There was only one person visibly awaiting his arrival. With no emotion visible on his face Cigol came to in front of the man, who must be Field Marshal Ascrith Taranis and braced to attention. With the sharpness and training of a prime officer, Cigol saluted, eyes forward and spoke.

"Executive Officer, Commander Cigol Nikephoros, of the Coalition Alliance battleship Valhalla."

He said nothing more, waiting for the Field Marshall to respond. His mind simply a narrow tube, slowly making its way down to his final goal.

"Lieutenant Nai'ti, the shuttles are still on an intercept approach," Lieutenant Briten reported.

"There's chatter on the comms," stated Ty. "They are demanding we accept their assistance."

Chief Tactical Officer Nai'ti simply shook her head. "Make sure every docking port is secured and lock down. Turn them away Ty and tell them orders are orders. No one is to step aboard this ship. No one."

Communications Officer Ty nodded. Nai'ti called up Liala.

"I don't want us to provoke them any further, but make it harder for them to dock with us," Nai'ti ordered.

Liala nodded, and she set to work. The Valhalla's thrusters and secondary engines went bursting in a random sequence, sending the ship tumbling wildly in space. Making it difficult for anyone to enter or leave.

"That should do it De'Nala."
Ascrith stood alone with his thoughts, staring up at the open bay doors. He saw the shuttle come in, flying in low, and beginning his landing. Ascrith knew that he was going to be in trouble, soon, which was why he left everything alone. In his sheath was the sword that his master gave to him, the oldest relic they owned. His master was actually Jacob Robbins the 1st's, the man who started this up but died before it could be finished. Jacob Robbins the 2nd gave the sword to him before, he, too died, and Matthew Andrews took over.

Ascrith stood in front of the shuttle as it landed, and watched as the man came up to him. Ascrith stood in his dress clothes, a dress of black, white, and gold clothing. He wore a gold tie, with the SS lightning bolt on the front. When the man came up, he clicked his heels, and saluted with his right hand. In his right was a medal. After the salute, he handed the medal out with both hands, staring at this man who he beat.

"Commander Cigol, I present to you an old, and treasured relic that was given to me to protect. This is the Medal of Valour, given to only the bravest in battle. This particular one was worn by our first leader when he died." Ascrith said, staring at him. "I believe that you have earned this out of all the men I have encountered,"

double post

Commander Cigol Nikephoros took the medal and stared at it for a moment. He touched the small device on his arm, activating an open communications link to all the ships in the area, allowing everyone to see what was happening. He returned his gaze to the Field Marshall, devoid of emotion.

"I accept this medal, in the name of all those who served and are still serving in the defense of the Valhalla and those in which they are charged to protect."

He let that sink in for a moment, before pinning the Medal of Valor on his uniform. He braced at attention for few moments saying nothing. Then he began to undress. Taking off his uniform and revealing a regulation black skinsuit underneath. He folded his uniform with care, making sure not to mess up his ribbons and medals, and placed it near the shuttle ramp, before returning back to the Field Marshall.

"Nai'ti," Ty called out. "I just got an active audio/visual link from the Commander's shuttle."

"On screen."

The view screen blinked to life and they saw the Commander standing facing Field Marshall Taranis with what appeared to be a uniform on the floor nearby.

"Whats going on?" Nai'ti asked.

"I don't know," Ty admitted. "It just activated a few moments ago."

"At this moment, the Valhalla should be getting instructions in its computers to initiate a set of protocols I am bound to initiate in the event that I am captured. A hold over of the days, when I was an intelligence operative for the Coalition," Cigol explained. "I have modified them of course. But to put shortly; I am no longer in the Executive Officer of the Valhalla. I no longer hold the rank of Commander. And I no longer have any ties to the Coalition."

"Wait!? Liala can you confirm?" asked Nai'ti in shock.

Liala's digital avatar popped up, "What ever he did is blocking me from stopping it. There's a letter of resignation in there and..."

Liala disappeared for a moment before popping back. "He told me to stop. There's nothing I can do..."

All eyes turned back to the viewscreen as they watched their former Commander and friend, place himself in the pit.

"I am a dead person as far as the Coalition Alliance knows Field Marshall. The being you knew, Commander Cigol Nikephoros died moments ago when you gave him that medal. I am a nobody. A nobody who has nothing to loose."

Cigol unsheathed his sword, eyes still locked on the Field Marshall.

"My wife and children died on Calypso, Field Marshall," Cigol said bluntly. "They died and I was not able to save them. But, that is the way in which the universe works. A stroke of randomness, can cause waves in which we must deal with. This is how I shall deal with it. With a duel between you and I. A duel to avenge my family and those that have fallen."

Cigol threw the sheathe aside and stood in a combat stance.

"One thing that is different between you and I, or even my Captain, Field Marshall, is that I am not a barbarian. I am a civilized person and I accept defeat with modesty. I know I will die on this ship. I know I will not leave. But I will do so in combat, just as my wife, but civilized combat. A reminder that even if you killed me, it will not be done in the reigns of savagery, but that of gentlemen."

Cigol raised his sword.

"And if you live, you shall be reminded of it...haunted by it each and every single moment."

"My god..."

Everyone turned toward the lift to see a disheveled Captain Nikoli braced against the wall and watching the viewscreen.

"What...what in the hell is...that bastard doing...?"
"Then, Cigol, I will not die as a barbarian. I will die as a gentleman. And I will die knowing that I caused the deaths of my killer's family. I will die with that thought on my mind. But if that is your wish, so be it." Ascrith said, putting one hand behind his back, and pulling out his sword. He looked at it, knowing exactly what he, and the old Commander will do. They will die. Not as barbarians, clashing at each other's throats, but as gentlemen, fighting for their crew.

"Valhalla, what is going on down there?" Braesk asked, staring up at the ship, then back at the bay. He could see two people standing there, both with swords. Both alone. And he knew that feeling. He had gotten it so many times before. But he didn't expect Ascrith to do what he was going to do.

Ascrith then took a combat stance, holding out his Master's sword, ready to fight this man. He knew none of them were getting off this ship, but he knew that one of them would die in battle, and the other would die slowly. He hoped Cigol didn't die slowly.

"Then we begin, hmm? You first, Commander. I do not wish to hit again for the first time,"

Cigol didn't hesitate.

In one of the most obvious moves and show of emotion, he lashed out like a viper, aiming at Ascrith's heart. He knew it would be deflected easily, but it was a symbolic attack. An attack, that should effectively hit home to Ascrith, just what Cigol felt, or the lack thereof.

"Captain!"

Lt. Nai'ti ran to Captain Nikoli's assistance and gave herself as a crutch to their commander.

"We need to get you back to the Infirmary."

He pushed her away and shuffled himself to the commander chair, before dropping down into it.

"What...what the hell is going on?" he rasped, as he watch Cigol begin a duel with Field Marshall Taranis.

Lt. Nai'ti stood at the side of the captain and watched the duel on the viewscreen. "Comman...former COmmander Cigol has resigned from the Coalition Alliance and ordered all support ships from the Bismarck to not dock, while he went over there."

Captain Nikoli shook his head furiously, "I don't...I don't ca...care, what he did! I want...to know why my XO...is aboard that ship!"

Everyone was silent and they really couldn't give their captain an answer. Then Liala spoke.

"Captain," she said, with a pause. "His family was on Calypso. They died in the attack from Bismarck."

Alexi Nikoli's face light up red, in anger.

"That sanctimonious, pale skinned, skinny, blue blood hypocrite! Get me a link to him NOW!" the Captain coughed and wheezed.

Lt. Nai'ti immediately called for Dr. Lucas Rodden to the bridge.

"Valhalla, what is going on down there?"

"That was from the Bismarck, Captain. A Captain Braesk. He's been attempting to have his shuttle dock for the last thirty minutes," Communications Officer Ty noted.

"Let the bastard on. Get a line to the Time Dancer and that other ship out there. And don't forget to get me a line to Cigol ASAP," the Captain ordered.

Ty nodded and tended to his work. He opened up a channel to the Bismarck's shuttle, "Valhalla to shuttle craft, transporting Captain Braesk. Your craft, and your craft only is allowed admittance to dock with our ship. Please standby and allow our Fighter Control to guide you in."

Communication's Officer Ty, opened up another channel, and began transmitting. "Valhalla to Time Dancer and the Hand of Terel, our Captain requests an immediate response from both vessels. I repeat, our Captain requests an immediate response from both vessels."

Ty closed that link and began the final set of orders. He worked at his controls trying to get a line to the former Commander's communication device. Of course, he was blocked. He tried a different method, and was blocked again. The communications officer was getting upset.

Why the hell would the Commander do this? Why?

The thought was surely upon everyone's mind. He tried another set of codes and was blocked again. Liala's digital avatar popped up on the screen.

"Need some help?"

"Probably. There's authorization codes in here that I don't even think are suppose to exist. Think you can break through them?" Ty asked Liala.

Their cybernetic crewman shook her head. "If it's the Commander's work, I doubt it. And I can't spare the power to try the brute force method. There might be another way though. The shuttle he took...its comm line is still active yes?"

Ty reviewed his board and nodded, "It is. Actually wait..."

Ty tapped at a few keys and looked at Liala. "I'm going to need you to hack into-"

"Done."

With that Liala's digital avatar disappeared. Ty waited for a few moments, and an alert appeared indicating a backdoor line between the ship and the commander.

"Captain, we have a line to Commander Cigol..."

"You hypocritical paleskin! Get your insubordinate ass back this instant before I have you strung up so far in the brig for a court-martial, you won't even get the luxury of a firing squad!" Captain Nikoli yelled, nearly frightening most of the crew on the deck.
Everything happened very quickly aboard the Hand of Terel.

The instant Robbins had opened fire on her Elder Amaar had rushed forward, allowing the bullets to impact the shield she had in place around her body projected by a personal shield generator hidden in her clothing since before her first meeting with Robbins, part of the 'precautions' she'd told Tolarim about. Nariel, like most Terelains, was skilled in an ancient martial art they called Tae Kil Raan but unlike most Terelains of the present age it was not just the Peace Forms she knew, exercises to keep the mind and body fit, but also the War Forms. She'd been practising them daily for twenty three thousand years. Suffice it to say, she was very good.

Nariel had whipped her hand out to knock the gun from Robbin's hand with a blow intended to break his wrist, which would be followed by another blow to is chest. Even though he was wearing body armour she expected the blow to at least distract him whilst her husband also reacted, he too was closing in on Robbins to attack him himself.

Neither Elder showed any emotion, not even shock or surprise or anger. Their faces were completely blank, impassive. This too was part of the art of Tae Kil Raan for Terelain warriors entered a semi-meditative state they termed Alir during combat, a place of complete detachment from the situation, of utter calm. The Ancient Terelain word would roughly translate as 'Standing in the calm of the Eye of the Maelstrom'.

At the same time the others on the bridge had activated the shields on their workstations, designed to protect them in case the bidge was boarded by hostiles. A signal was automatically sent to the Honour Guard below. The two hundred and fifty strong complement of marines knew exactly what they were to do. A contingent was dispatched to secure the bridge whilst the rest of them headed towards the hangar bay, where the Death Korps men were fighting the guards stationed there.

These guards also had personal shields, though not as powerful as the ones owned by the Elders. They had all had them activated before joining in the card game, since they weren't about to sit down and relax with a bunch of armed men who might turn on them without some kind of protection if things went wrong.

The opening attack on the marines had startled them but only four of them had been killed when their shields had overloaded and failed during the initial attack and now they had drawn their weapons themselves and had returned fire, taking cover where they could find it, guarding the exits that led into the rest of the ship. The ceremonial spears they had appeared to have been modified with small plasma emmiters and whilst they were unwieldy and slow to fire a bolt of plasma could do just as much damage as a blast from their energy pistols.

Finally, Aelya had detected the attack by the Bismarck's computer and reacted accordingly. She was a demilitarised AI... but that just meant that her programming had been altered slightly to incorporate emotions such as compassion, mercy, empathy and a regard for sentient life beyond the crew of her ship and the other members of the Fleet. The rest of her capabilities had largely remained intact, though the Hand had not been equipped with what they would consider to be a military grade cyberwarfare suite, she nevertheless had some capacity in fending off cyberattacks and Terelain technology was quite advanced.

Aelya had moved to seal off already-infiltrated subsystems and began a purge cycle for them whilst blocking off her attacker's access to the uncompromised systems, simultaneously attacking the Bismarck's own computer systems in order to overtax the intelligence assualting her, which she had quickly realised was not a true AI, but what her people reffered to as an API - an Artificially Preserved Intelligence. Though it was rather crude in comparison to the elegant cyberengineering that comprised Aelya's own psychological matrices, or that of the preserved mind-states of a Terelain API.

Aelya had survived seven hundred years of the most brutal and terrible interstellar war she'd ever ncountered, as well as observed hundreds more as the Flicker-Life races arose to interstellar capabilities in the region the Terelains hailed from. She was twelve thousand years old and she knew quite a few tricks to mess with this upstart computer trying to usurp her control over the Hand's systems.

"Valhalla to Time Dancer and the Hand of Terel, our Captain requests an immediate response from both vessels. I repeat, our Captain requests an immediate response from both vessels." The voice of the Valhalla's communications officer came over the intership comms, distracting Tolarim from the fight that had broken out in his bridge, he'd already drawn his on pistol but dared not fire when the Elders were so close to Robbins.

"This is the Hand of Terel. We cannot render assistance. Captain Robbins of the Bismarck has just attempted to assassinate my Elders and his men are attempting to take control of this vessel. We're a little busy at the moment. We'll render assistance as soon as we can." Then, remembering that this was an open broadcast to all ships he said, "This an act of war against the Third Kingdom and by the Ancestors I'm going to make you treacherous HRA Tk'aeya regret this if it's the last thing I do! If the Elders die then the Younger Gods have mercy on you, because we surely won't!" He turned to his helm officer, "Mr Rilam as soon as Aelya is done purging the systems take us back into Aether-space. We can drop off the HRA wounded on a neutral planet and then get back home. Comms get a signal through to the Fleet, tell them about this mess."

As soon as the fighting had erupted within the diplomatic ship, the Hand's fighter escort, thirty Fang class Interceptors and fifteen Claw class Multi-Role Bombers, opened fire on the White Flag fighters that had escorted Robbins to the Hand and who had taken up defensive psoitions alongside them. The pilots were not about to let themselves get caught unawares.
The Death Korps men broke off, their shields soaking the plasma and energy bolts, then shutting off to vent the kinetic energy they absorbed. Each of them reloaded their guns, slamming another clip into the gun, and cocking it. They moved like Neo from The Matrix, dodging and landing behind their cover, and firing their weapons at the same time.

As soon as they got behind their cover and reloaded, they tossed two grenades each. One smoke, and one flash. They didn't dare fire anything besides that, otherwise, they'd risk blowing out the hull. As soon as that happened, they got out of their cover, and began firing again, their masks filtering out the smoke, and letting them see.

They had laser sights on their guns, so they could find their targets easily. Their masks also found the weak points, and so they directed their shots to those weak points. 8 gauge slugs and 13mm APHE bullets streaked across the smokey room, finding their targets.

The men who were on board the White Flag fighters thought that the Geneva Convention would make them invincible to attack. They had no intention of helping either side. But they were wrong. However, their bay doors were still down, and the men running the Autocannons ran out with the massive 40mm guns. Behind them, all of the fighters blew up in a massive inferno, covering the area behind the Death Korps with flame. No one cared, though.

Robbins saw the attack coming, and tossed the gun into the air, and moved his hand with her attack, stopping her from hurting him. Of course it would be a distraction, and to some effect, it worked. He did get pushed back, but he kicked out, using the body to flip him backwards into the air. He flew backwards, landing on his feet, and pulling out another high powered 9mm gun. He grabbed the second gun that flew into the air, and with both of them, open fired.

The Super Computer was prepared. The API had an AI backing him up, and that one would never be hacked by anyone skilled enough to try. Both of them together held the coding and information, so that if you hacked one, you couldn't do shit. And both of them were so protected, hacking them was like trying to solve a 5x5 4D rubics cube that fought back.

Ascrith blocked the attack easily, knowing full well what it was meant for. But he had to look like he was putting up a fight. And so, he aimed for the man's hand, slashing through the air slow enough for him to block. Ascrith had one intention that day. To end it all. He was tired of all this war, tired of fighting. He needed a break, and death was the only way out. And what more honor was there to die at the hand of an enemy?

Braesk docked, and tried to get out of the shuttle. The doors slammed down, and he removed the guns he was carrying, laying them all out. He carried no weapons. Not even a toothpick or a pencil. And with that, he tried to find the command deck.

"Someone tell me where the Captain is!"

"Someone tell me where the Captain is!"

The operators in Fighter Control, scrambled to their stations and tried to get someone on the line, before suddenly Liala popped into existence on one of the screens.

"Captain Braesk? Yup its you. There's a lift a few meters from here. One of the operators over there will point you to it. Get on it and I'll bring you up."

"You hypocritical paleskin! Get your insubordinate ass back this instant before I have you strung up so far in the brig for a court-martial, you won't even get the luxury of a firing squad!"

The voice squawked all around, causing Cigol to clumsily block the attack from Ascrith. That didn't stop him however and he quickly recovered, bobbing to his feet, and feinting to the right, probing Ascrith's reactions.

"Don't you ignore me you son of a bitch! Answer me god dammit!"

"I thought I adequately blocked all attempts to establish a communication line. As usual, I underestimated the dynamism of Navigator Liala and Mr. Ty. In any event, I am no longer a member of your crew, or a citizen of the Coalition, Captain."

Captain Alexi Nikoli still in his medical gown, sat fuming in his chair. Dr. Lucas Rodden came half jogging out the lift, straight for the captain.

"Dammit Nikoli! I told you to stay in the Infirmary."

"Not when my XO, is committing desertion Lucas. Not at all," the Captain coughed.

"Take it easy Captain," the Chief Medical Officer stated, as he pulled a hypospray out his med box and injected its contents into their commanding officer. "You need to get back to the Infirmary."

"Not until that blue blood bastard gets back to this ship!" the Captain roared.

"I do believe I made it obvious, that will not happen Captain," Cigol said, many forgetting that he was still on the line. "You know that it is impossible now Captain Nikoli, C.A.I.N protocols."

"Damn the C.A.I.N protocols. What about that of the Valhalla? We don't leave our people behind nor do we let them commit suicide," Captain Nikoli said.

They could hear the clash of metal against metal as Cigol and Ascrith commenced with their sword duel. It took a moment for Cigol to reply.

"You are correct Captain Nikoli. I remember all too well a similar discussion concerning you," Cigol admitted as they saw him dodge another attack. "However this is different Captain."

"Bullshit. Your logic is flawed on that! This is no different, you're just a hypocrite!" responded Captain Nikoli. "When Rosline died, you and the Valhalla crew scrapped tooth and nail to make sure I wasn't a Captain Ahab on a crusade for revenge. How is this any different than you loosing you family on Calypso?"

They saw Cigol miss the ball again, obvious that a chord was struck. He was slashed, blood gushing from the superficial cut.

"It is different Captain because you are needed. You are meant to live and carry on the charge," Cigol said.

"And you're not?!" the Captain yelled furiously. "Who the hell do you think you are to be a martyr!?"

"I am not Captain, the thought didn't cross my mind," Cigol admitted. "I am simply here because I am selfish, wanting to kill the man who's inflicted so much pain. Kill the man who represents so many others out there who's broken families apart. Kill the man who's so much like the Sekans, the Ursans, Robert Neil and Eragon Horde. A final release to do what, officers and protectors of the Coalition Alliance couldn't ever do. And..."

Cigol paused for a moment to send forth another attack before finishing.

"To discharge the duty of an Executive Officer, of his Captain; ensure the ship is ran smoothly and the Captain is not in harms way."

There was an audible beep and a zipping sound.

"He's closed the line Captain," Ty reported. "And the Hand of Terel reports they are having some issues."

"Get them both back!"

Captain Nikoli slumped in his chair, as Dr. Lucas Rodden tended to his stubborn patient.

Cigol just couldn't do this. He couldn't abandon them like this. Not when people here on the Valhalla thought of him more than just their superior, but a friend...family...
"Ssthat Leader to bridge, hostiles eliminated. Moving to assist the marines in the hangar bay." One of the pilots reported over the intership comms.

The tactical officer replied, "Ackowledged Ssthat Leader." He then flicked the ship's internal comms, "Commander Kahr to hangar bay. initiate Defensive Protocol Vitralis."

The chaos of the hangar bay was cut short by the commander of the Terelain forces releasing a particularly harsh and rancid-sounding curse, "I hate Protocol Vitralis!" He shouted.

The artificial gravity generators handling the gravity in the hangar bay suddenly went into overdrive almost tripling the gravity in the room. At the same time the hangar doors opened out onto vacuum, without the atospheric shields in place. In the same instant, the Terelain defenders increased the power to their sheilds to trap the air in a small bubble around them. The increased drain would only allow them about a minute before the shields overloaded and failed and they'd be completely exposed to the vacuum of space.

Defensive Protocol Vitralis; open compromised areas of the ship to vaccuum and hope that you can space the enemy, so named because it was first employed by the Terelain battleship RNV Vitralis during the Battle of Aerin as a desperate last-minute attempt to prevent Gilloran boarders from taking the ship.

It was risky, and in all likelihood the Terelain marines would be killed, but they were Moralinri and it was thei duty as the Warrior Bloodline to die in defense of the Kingdom and her people.

At the same time that the hangar bay doors opened, the Terelain fighters arrived one by one and began opening fire on the Death Korps soldiers.

Meanwhile, Elder Amaar released a cry of pain as Robbins' last hail of bullets managed to overlod her shields, she'd turned with preternatural grace, however, almost as soon as he'd tossed his gun into he air, relaising that he was about to attack her again and she dived behind a nearby console. Bullets still struck her back, however and she was bleedingprofuely from several gunshot wounds.

Her husband's exression did not change from it's almost peaceful state, but his claws did unsheathe themselves and he threw himself at Robbins with a furious rain of fast, powerful blows, heedless of the guns he was using. Robbins had hurt his wife.

Nobody hurt his wife.

Aelya was quite oblivious to the physical combat aboard the Hand she was focused almost entirely upon the task in hand - defending and counter-attacing the enemy API/AI. She suppressed the virtual equivalent of a joyouslaugh. She hadn't had this much fun in centuries. combining an APi and an AI back-up to foil enemy infiltration was rather creative for such a young species. She was almost impressed.

Almost.

Aelya would have sighed if she could. This would have been a whole lot easier if her old comrade-in-arms Euthyra was here to give her a hand. He'd been the Tactical AI aboard the Fleet Flagship. Together they'd have been able to melt this rather irritating computer's circuits. As it was, with her alone against it, she was having to pull a few of her fancier cyber tricks to try and fend it off.

She dedicated a couple of subroutines to defending the Hand's systems and concentrated the bulk of her processing power towards outsmarting the supercomputer. First she attacked its connections to the Bismarck's systems, and then she turned her attention to the systems themselves, seeking to undermine them in any way possible, including attempting to overload systems to cause fires or seal bulkheads.

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » SciFi RPG: Interstellar Wayfarers (CLOSED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus