Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » A reminder to UK citizens!

Whatever the weather, whatever your views, please please if you're 18+ and registered, don't forget to vote today! It's a very important election and your vote really does matter.

Side note: this thread is not intended to break site rules regarding politics. Please don't use it to argue with each other over who you're voting for. I posted this with the sole intention to remind people to vote.

Side note 2: I've read accounts of people being told they need photo ID in order to vote. If anyone is telling you this when you visit a polling station and you don't live in Northern Ireland, then it's a lie. You do not need photo ID.
I really wish I could have voted. I'm a US citizen studying in the UK for a year so I'm not eligible to vote here. I'm really disheartened by what has taken place these last couple of days :(
Riik Topic Starter

Honestly, in hindsight, I don't think the election would have gone any other way. With the 2017 election combined with polls drawing closer and the morning queues at the polling stations, it really looked like things were going to be a lot closer. But at the end of the day, the election turned out to be more about Brexit than people really thought it would. To those disheartened by the result: maybe when Brexit is over, things might go the other way. Don't lose hope.
Ozzyotter3001

Lmao so what you're saying is that my vote didn't count

Glad I didn't vote then
Riik Topic Starter

Ozzyotter3001 wrote:
Lmao so what you're saying is that my vote didn't count

Glad I didn't vote then

That's not what I'm saying at all.

The smallest majority in this election was a margin of only 105 votes. 29 MPs have a majority in the hundreds.

Ultimately, there have been many elections where voting trends are unforeseen. Whilst the polls predicted a Conservative majority, nobody expected Brexit to make as much of an impact in voting direction as it did. As it turned out, the election was a lot more one-sided than first thought. Compare that with 2017. Everyone were expecting a Conservative majority, only for it to end with a hung parliament. Just because one election turns out to be a done-deal does not mean the next one will.

I used to be in the camp of 'my voice doesn't matter anyway'. From what I've seen, it's a position more often taken up by younger people. But it's wrong. The only way to make a difference for your future is to make your voice heard, whether voting, protesting or offering feedback. Things don't change unless they're given reason to.
I often find that I think my vote won't matter, but I vote anyway.

Even if it doesn't matter at least I tried.

Like how I'm sure Trump will be re-elected no matter what but I'm still going to vote against him.
Dragonfire Moderator

Hey, guys! While this topic definitely had a good message behind it and everyone who has posted behaved themselves well, because the election in question has now passed, I'm going to lock it at this point. We just want to remove the temptation for it to be turned into a venting session with regards to the results (or spiral down the political rabbit-hole in some other way).

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » A reminder to UK citizens!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus