Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Christmas Eve's Eve (that time again.)

nightmqre

I made a thread like this one last year, on Christmas Day. I was planning to get this out on Christmas, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to now...so I'll settle for this instead.

It's the 23rd, and 11:23pm at night. Christmas Eve's Eve! Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, I hope you're having a wonderful winter holiday. And of course, a happy early new years.

This year has been a rough one, with my mom going into hospital near-death, losing friends, in general just being a teenager; but I've survived another year, and despite it being a small achievement of just..life, I am celebrating that fact either way. I have changed so much as a person, in identity, personality, and actually starting to fully understand my sexuality as well...teenage years are hard for everyone, so I'm glad I'm slowly managing to push through it year by year...

aNd I'm turning 15 in 21 daysss!! Wooo!!

Anyone having a hard year as well, just as I said last year: You're still loved. If not feeling like anywhere else, then here. Someone here 100% loves you, as a friend, as a partner, as an acquaintance. If not, then know that even if I don't know you personally, I care. :)

And now...21 Reasons to Smile (2019!)
1. A Federal Judge kept the Trump admin from ending No-Cost Birth Control.
2. Marsai Martin made #BossMoves with her film Little: At age 14, she's Hollywood's youngest executive film producer, period.
3. Missy Elliot was inducted into the songwriter's hall of fame: She's the only female rapper in the bunch!
4. Lori Lightfoot Becomes Mayor of Chicago: On April 2, 2019, Lightfoot became the first black female and first openly gay leader of Chicago, which is now the largest city in U.S. history to have an openly LGBTQ mayor, and the largest U.S. city to be headed by a woman.
5. The European Union Banned Single-Use Plastic: So long to plastic cups, plates, forks, and straws in Europe. The E.U. banned single-use plastic items after 2021. The change could help avoid nearly $25 billion-worth of environmental pollution by 2030.
6. Dame Julie Andrews Joins the Untitled Bridgerton Netflix Series: Let this be your reminder to reach for the stars. Because for real, THE Julie Andrews will be playing the character Lady Whistledown in our upcoming Netflix series based on Julia Quinn's best-selling Bridgerton books.
7. California "CROWN Act" Bans Workplace Discrimination of Natural Hair: No more telling employees or kids in the Golden State that they can't rock cornrows, locs, or an afro to work or school!
8. The Birth of Little Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's baby may only be seventh in line for the throne, but listen, he gets bonus points for being the physical manifestation of the special relationship between the U.S. and the U.K.
9. Baby Yoda Graced Us with His Presence: The unexpected viral star of Disney+'s The Mandalorian made his big debut and my heart hasn't stopped soaring.
EMLRk7-YX0-AEt-ARH.jpg
10. Black Women Own Beauty Pageants: For the first time in history, five Black women — Toni-Ann Singh, who was most recently crowned Miss World, Zozibini Tunzi as Miss Universe, Kaliegh Garris as Miss Teen USA, Cheslie Kryst as Miss USA, and Nia Franklin as Miss America — hold the crowns for the world's top beauty pageants.
11. Dolly Patton's "Books for Birth" has now delivered over ONE MILLION FREE children's books to D.C kids.
12. A woman brought 97 dogs into her home to protect them from Hurricane Dorian.
13. Julie Akens, a Journalist, started a non-profit organisation which turns school buses into tiny homes for homeless families.
14. More than 1.4 million students participated in an international climate strike led by Greta Thunberg, where they refused to go to school in hopes to finally get something done.
15. Lil Nas X is the first openly gay man to be nominated for a Country Music Award.
16. A rare leopard that was thought to be extinct was spotted in Taiwan's wilderness after 36 years of being "gone"!
17. Meng Meng the panda bear gave birth to TWINS!
18. The Abor Day Foundation is planning to plant 100 MILLION trees as fast as they can.
19. New York banned single-use plastic bags!
20. THOMAS SANDERS EXISTS-
21. Someone in Kenya has invented a glove that allows hearing-impared people to convert sign language to speech!

Happy Winter and/or Christmas to everyone that reads this.
RimCaster

That's nice coming from you ^^

Merry Christmas to you Static and everyone!
And now...subtract one "Eve." T minus 20 hours to go.
Rogue-Scribe

Merry Jul/Solstice static!
nightmqre Topic Starter

Routhey 12 hours to go until my sister'site alexa alarm viciously wakes me up to open the stocking fillers.

^^;
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Happy Christmas Eve static. What a excellent post.
10 hours to go! Have fun, guys and gals. ^v^
I'd like to add that:
  • Earlier this year, singular "they" became officially correct APA format
  • A lot of folks got some hope back Dec 18 (you can look up why, will not discuss it here)
  • Based on reviews, the new Cats film sounds destined to become one of those "so bad it's good" movies
  • A late night comedian helped fight censorship by sending a library a giant, "unhidable" edition of a book (which kids promptly used as a tent and the video is cute)
  • This year has featured adorable footage of a baby hippo being well cared for at a zoo (or a refuge, I'm actually not sure)
  • An unfortunate revelation in nerdom revealed a massive underlying community full of love and support (again, not going into details here, but I've seen some amazing handling of the situation prioritizing real people over fandom and a very positive shift within the fandom itself)
  • An attempt was made to make the song "Baby, It's Cold Outside" less creepy to modern ears. While it's, uh, not great, it's nice that someone tried. ^^;

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Christmas Eve's Eve (that time again.)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus