Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » What happens when an RPer's game goes down.

Trickster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWb3cxA4g_U

Six years RPing on Star Wars Galaxies with her friends and she's torn to pieces about it being shut down in six months. The poor girl. Someone should probably try to talk to her and convince her and her roleplayer friends to create an RP community here so they can continue their roleplaying adventures.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I will send her a message.
Sanne Moderator

She gets a C for trying, but she should've spent some more time in drama club rather than playing the game. :)
Kim Site Admin

I feel very sorry for this girl, and I think all the ridicule (so very typical of Youtube) that she's been getting is completely unkind. When a community, online or off, goes away that you have been a part of for many years and there is nothing that you can do about it, it's appropriate to feel upset. All of us here should understand better than anyone how satisfying RP can be, and how much sheer work can go into developing a character and staying true to it. I've seen RP groups create such a social glue that people traveled around the world to meet up. Sometimes it even leads to marriages. Playing games together is a non-trivial bonding experience for so many.

If Furcadia closed its doors tomorrow, I suspect a lot of people would be devastated and expressing their grief in all kinds of ways.
I can't help but suspect this is as fake as things on the internet get.
Wouldn't the the first time someone pulls this stunt
Sanne Moderator

Kim wrote:
I feel very sorry for this girl, and I think all the ridicule (so very typical of Youtube) that she's been getting is completely unkind. When a community, online or off, goes away that you have been a part of for many years and there is nothing that you can do about it, it's appropriate to feel upset. All of us here should understand better than anyone how satisfying RP can be, and how much sheer work can go into developing a character and staying true to it. I've seen RP groups create such a social glue that people traveled around the world to meet up. Sometimes it even leads to marriages. Playing games together is a non-trivial bonding experience for so many.

If Furcadia closed its doors tomorrow, I suspect a lot of people would be devastated and expressing their grief in all kinds of ways.

I agree with you, but this reminds me too much of 'LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE' to be taken seriously. If Furcadia ended tomorrow, I would be both angry and upset (mostly because of all the money I invested into it and all the lifers I have), but I don't understand why anyone would go record a video of them crying and then posting it for an audience of millions who probably never even heard of Furcadia. Plus I feel her crying is very, very fake. What can she possibly get from posting that video besides a few comments saying "Aww, that sucks"? I get that people grieve differently, but this feels more like fishing for attention than genuine grief.

Through Furcadia I didn't just meet my significant other; I also met countless of friends who stuck with me through thick and thin. But Furcadia isn't the only place on the world where we can roleplay. Nothing is stopping this girl from setting up a free forum from the hundreds of free forums she can choose, letting all her roleplay friends know that they can go there and roleplay further.

So while I understand how painful it can be, it's not the end of the world at all. It's one thing to be upset, it's another to act like you'll die without it. For her to act as if it is, is in my books ridiculous and by posting a video like that, it's to be expected it draws negative attention. I just can't feel sorry for people who've been on the internet for so many years and still don't know how it works. It's like going on an American Idol audition, singing like a dying cat set on fire, and then crying when you get rejected for it.

Maybe I'm being very harsh like this. It just doesn't feel real and for the right reasons.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

While I don't log on to Furcadia anymore (I should!), I'd be sad to see it go.

If it wasn't for that place, I'd never have met Kim and thus, would never have met any of you either! Amazing to think how browsing through a list of online games and thinking "the graphical style on this looks interesting, I'll check it out" can do so much! And that was in ancient times when Furcadia was less than 6 months old!

As far as this girl goes, I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. I've seen many people who get so completely immersed in their MMOs that it becomes their life. Being told that the game you play is being shut down must be pretty devastating.
Fulco (played anonymously)

Furcadia's my RP fix, heh. Creative writing is like a drug to me. Furcadia is also where I talk to all my friends, and get the majority of my art commissions. So I can't say I wouldn't be at least a little upset.

Not too sure on what to say about her posting it online. Sat on the fence, as it were. I'd probably find somewhere to rant about it.
Kinda reminds me of when they started making people pay to play ROSE. Was playing free one day, trying to log on and it not working the next. I didn't cry or anything, but I was pretty upset about it. I mean, after working hard and getting a high level something or other, then losing it. But then I found titanROSE, so it's all good. Not as crowded, but still.

I personally think..to protect themselves, people probably shouldn't post videos like this on youtube. But eh, I could be wrong. Just as long as they're prepared to take whatever people say, I suppose. On a kind of but not really off-note, I can't imagine actually physically crying over something like this. I'm more..cry on the inside. xD

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » What happens when an RPer's game goes down.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus