Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Autism Awareness

Happy Autism Awareness Month everybody, I hope your having a fantastic month.

Facts about Autism, from someone with it.

Some peoples senses are heightened when they are Autistic. (Hearing, Sight Smell, Touch)

The sensory issues most Autistic people have arent fears, they are painful.

We do feel emotions, no matter what people tell you. We can feel compassionate or frustrated.

Nonverbal people, especially kids can get frustrated trying to get there point across. You try going for a day saying no words and functioning fine.

We understand things in a different way and will take alot of what you say seriously unless we've worked hard to read social cues to tell things apart.

Telling us things like 'Tables dirty' is gonna be hard realize your saying that you want us to clean it.

We love facts and information, I can tell you how much water the toilet or the most common things left in someone's stomach.

We hold onto information for a long while, keeping it in our heads for years.

Most people can forget or bury a traumatic event, we replay them over and over and get stressed in similar situations.

I cant say these apply to all Autistic people but these are alot of things that apply to me and some of my Autistic friends who range in age and severity.
Great post
Great post since I also suffer from Asperger's Syndrome.
Being apart of the amazing Autism community myself , I can understand why it's super important to spread awareness for Autism . I even have a classmate in my life stills class who is autistic and nonverbal
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Thank you for sharing all of this.
Thanks for posting this. I actually have ADHD and more, I appreciate you doing this!
I have autism so I 100% support this, thank you so much
Thank you for the heads-up. I appreciate this, and you!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Autism Awareness

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus