Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Can I offer you a coffee or tea?

Quipy_Cat

Heyoo everyone...

This is kind of an advertisement post... xD Umm yeah...
So, I started a group where anyone from anywhere can chat about anything. I'd like to invite those who need a laugh or just an excuse to make a cup of joe...

It's a freestyle type of group with just a few rules... And yes memes are allowed... fill the gallery with them. I dare you. :P

I hope you have a good day and a great RP

It is called Pull up a chair...
https://www.rprepository.com/group-site/4283/10421
A whisky, if you have it?

Here's a thought.

Many folks here come to write a role play or partake in one, but has anyone experienced LARP? And, if so, how does that reflect upon the character, or characters you design for writing?
There's at least a couple of us, WinterBlackDraoi!

I got my RP start through a local fencing club that overlapped strongly with the local LARP group. It was a medieval fantasy game and I loved every second of it!

Since then, I played in a few different LARP games in a couple different genres. Even organized and ran a series of games (phew... that's a lot of work, even if it's fun too!). My favorite one was an airsoft GI Joe game we ran in a rented out warehouse. That was crazy fun!

I'm sure, to some degree, it's affected my writing and characters. But I couldn't pinpoint exactly how. I've found the different mediums of story-telling (LARP, table-top, play-by-post) all lend themselves to exploring different kinds of stories. And different parts of the story get highlighted.

What about you, Winter?
I began with reading the White Dwarf magazine and Proteus. But later I became interested in historical reenactment. After that I threw myself out to different periods. However, I engaged myself with a LARP group for a few years and portrayed myself as a Dark Elf, long black hair, pale thin features, (I was a victim of typecast). I was also interested in table top games, and had a vast army of Skaven, that would completely destroy themselves while attacking the enemy. So, in a way it helped me develop my characters with a sense of purpose, if not humor.
I've never LARP'd! Most of my experience in RP comes from a mix of forum, instant message, and journal-style (like Dreamwidth or Livejournal). Getting into D&D and ttrpg in general has REALLY shifted the way that I think of RP and how I build characters. I used to be all about the 1x1 romantic RP's with lots of drama and horror. Now I seem focused on making cute or quirky NPC's and puzzles or traps for others to solve.

I'll tell you one thing though: swapping from mostly forum-based RP to D&D, then trying to get back to forum stuff is not like riding a bicycle. It's more like swapping one entire brain fitness regime for another, and it takes some doing!

(And yes, I will have a mocha please; my sleep schedule is bonkers during these interesting times.)
Quipy_Cat Topic Starter

I have been looking into LARP... I really want to try it.

I have been medeling in Cosplay but... it's just for a day that you are the character you have been preparing for almost a year.
I do gather inspiration from Cosplaying, games, some airsoft, DnD, reading, and my imagination but...

LARP is something that I think could really help in writing, correct me if I am wrong but I think it helps you express and explain a scene, emotions, and actions better since you had first-hand experience.

So that is a Whiskey, Mocha... anything for you Juls?
Can't ever pass up coffee.

And you should definitely try it at least once, Quipy Cat! Most games that I've encountered are always looking for folks to play NPCs or monsters. Sometimes they'll let you come try it out for free. (Or a small fee just to cover the insurance cost)
Quipy_Cat Topic Starter

Well that’s a coffee coming up, any specifics?

I almost took part in one, but firstly my Chef classes prevented me from going... and secondly ... my wonderful country doesn’t host such events... I must travel far and beyond... which I gladly will do thanks to my profession, just in a year or 3 from now :,(

But thanks I will see if there isn’t another opportunity that presents its self
Rogue-Scribe

I’ll have a Long Black please.

WW2 LARP’ng was my first ever rpng.
That sounds pretty cool, Shadow-Ranger. How'd you handle guns for that? Something that actually shot a projectile like airsoft?
MasterWinter

Peppermint tea, for me, if you please.

-takes a seat to join the group-

I've LARP'ED before, but my experience was a mix of good and bad.

The good was: The people who ran the group were a fun bunch. It was where I think I got an actual start, to understanding taking on a different personality. I never was an actual player, rather I was an NPC. So I took on many different roles. Including being a body guard for a baron, who's player happened to be one of the people who ran the group. My group was Nero or Nero West, I honestly don't remember, it was back in CA.

The bad was: Trying to find reliable transportation. Since at the time I lived with my mom mostly, and, in short, things were strained between her and I, I never could give a definite answer as to if I'd be able to go to an event or not. So when I was able to go, none of my "friends" were able to give me a ride most of the time.

So on one hand I wished I hadn't gotten into LARP, due to I wasn't able to go often enough and really enjoy myself fully. Especially when they did weekend events. Those were the best. But on the other hand, I got to escape from the real world for a while and enjoy myself.

Because I LARP'ED and got into RP, it's helped me cope of not being able to participate in LARP anymore. Even if I wasn't as overweight as I am, there's still the issue of bad joints. I broke my left ankle in three places years ago, and it still tweaks to this day. Not fun really.

With being an NPC and taking on so many roles, even if it was one at a time, I think it was also what got me into portraying more than one OC on a profile. Back before coming here to RPR that is, like on MySpace or Anirp, where you could have multiple OC's on one account. It's also how I can work more than one OC in general in an rp.

Like my rp with Tusitala2017. I have three OC's I'm portraying from one account, even though only one OC is the main focus. I portray her cousins to help move the rp along.
Rogue-Scribe

Juls wrote:
That sounds pretty cool, Shadow-Ranger. How'd you handle guns for that? Something that actually shot a projectile like airsoft?

Well, I was a kid. I had a replica Thompson M1928A1 cap-submachine gun and for grenades we used pine cones and dirt clods, and rocks for tank shells. One time we used firecrackers and bottle rockets in an old golf course.

My next step up was Civil War re-enactments with black-powder muzzleloaders shooting paper bullets.
Ha! That reminds me of one game we ran up in Pennsylvania and the story involved the bad guys setting off some explosives. So we used some fire crackers for a rather pale imitation.

But LUCKED out when the nearby mining quarry set off some kind of explosive like two seconds later that rumbled across the whole dang site!! We could not have asked for better timing!
Quipy_Cat wrote:
Heyoo everyone...

This is kind of an advertisement post... xD Umm yeah...
So, I started a group where anyone from anywhere can chat about anything. I'd like to invite those who need a laugh or just an excuse to make a cup of joe...

It's a freestyle type of group with just a few rules... And yes memes are allowed... fill the gallery with them. I dare you. :P

I hope you have a good day and a great RP

It is called Pull up a chair...

I'll take a tea...

Hey, Quipy_Cat, I'm going to put a link right here so people can just click on it and join the group instead of needing to search by the name. Here it is:

Quipy_Cat's new group, Pull Up A Chair:

https://www.rprepository.com/group-site/4283
Quipy_Cat Topic Starter

Abigail_Austin wrote:

I'll take a tea...

Hey, Quipy_Cat, I'm going to put a link right here so people can just click on it and join the group instead of needing to search by the name. Here it is:

Quipy_Cat's new group, Pull Up A Chair:

https://www.rprepository.com/group-site/4283

Thanks... I was struggling with it... and was way thick to ask for help... thanks again

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Can I offer you a coffee or tea?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus