Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What kind of plots are popular?...

JetStorm

I need help,I don't exactly know what types of rps are popular on the RPR. Back then I received at least 17 messages in my inbox a day,now I'd get 1 per week,I feel like I've lost my rp touch,either that or I'm just flat out boring. I have a few characters for Pokemon,one for Fnaf,one for Steven Universe,and the other two are used for Circus themed rps,but I'm not so sure if those are popular among other players. So does anyone know what types of rps are popular,and I'm not asking for a link to other rps,i just want to know what themes are the most popular or most loved. And please don't suggest sexual themes,I don't like those types of themes.
Hello Jetstorm! Sorry to hear your inbox is as empty as it's mine (Though Im the one at fault in the later) Anyway, regarding your worries. I don't think there is an specific setting that every player likes in general. Rpr is as diverse as it's big so tryung to pin point exactly what everyone is after can be a bit tricky! Even so In my case Im always up for a romance themed rp with a nice dose of goofiness, bad puns and yes the one topic that shall not be named.

I must admit I find particularly hard to rp with people with canon characters im not familiar with their setting and unless Im eager to rp with said person I doubt I will bid my time to study the entire universe behind a particular chararacter just to be able to rp with them, studying for an rp hoping you dont break the rules of said universe and possibly ruin the rp does becomes an additional stress for me so I tend to avoid themes Im unfamiliar with...that said I think that theres a much better gamble if say you take a particular character from their universe and drop it somewhere else...say megatron arriving to a universe where no other transformers exist and machines are just that so that it makes it develop an existencial crisis of how much he misses battling optimus prime only for him to be an overall better boss when he returns to his fellow decepticons causing powerstruggle between their kin. Another option is to play with the setting (though this would require a better understanding between both writters) say adding a completely new oc to the setting...say an overly sweet decepticon toaster that is as inoffensive as it's cute and adorably aggresive.

I often try to avoid canon characters and canon plots as they it makew me feel as if the rp is on rails. Playing with the 'what ifs' and 'ohh that would have been so cool to see' are what I value the most in an rp. So back to your question I think what every person here is sure to be drawn to is creativity. I mention this not because Im implying or trying to boast around, clearly if something RPR has taught me is that there are people way better at writting than me and that I need to learn from them if I hope to be better. So in a resume try to picture all those wonderful series you love and ask yourself "What could I have done to make it even better? What I would have loved to see? What would I have changed?" And theres your rp. Happy fishing!
JetStorm Topic Starter

0089 wrote:
Hello Jetstorm! Sorry to hear your inbox is as empty as it's mine (Though Im the one at fault in the later) Anyway, regarding your worries. I don't think there is an specific setting that every player likes in general. Rpr is as diverse as it's big so tryung to pin point exactly what everyone is after can be a bit tricky! Even so In my case Im always up for a romance themed rp with a nice dose of goofiness, bad puns and yes the one topic that shall not be named.

I must admit I find particularly hard to rp with people with canon characters im not familiar with their setting and unless Im eager to rp with said person I doubt I will bid my time to study the entire universe behind a particular chararacter just to be able to rp with them, studying for an rp hoping you dont break the rules of said universe and possibly ruin the rp does becomes an additional stress for me so I tend to avoid themes Im unfamiliar with...that said I think that theres a much better gamble if say you take a particular character from their universe and drop it somewhere else...say megatron arriving to a universe where no other transformers exist and machines are just that so that it makes it develop an existencial crisis of how much he misses battling optimus prime only for him to be an overall better boss when he returns to his fellow decepticons causing powerstruggle between their kin. Another option is to play with the setting (though this would require a better understanding between both writters) say adding a completely new oc to the setting...say an overly sweet decepticon toaster that is as inoffensive as it's cute and adorably aggresive.

I often try to avoid canon characters and canon plots as they it makew me feel as if the rp is on rails. Playing with the 'what ifs' and 'ohh that would have been so cool to see' are what I value the most in an rp. So back to your question I think what every person here is sure to be drawn to is creativity. I mention this not because Im implying or trying to boast around, clearly if something RPR has taught me is that there are people way better at writting than me and that I need to learn from them if I hope to be better. So in a resume try to picture all those wonderful series you love and ask yourself "What could I have done to make it even better? What I would have loved to see? What would I have changed?" And theres your rp. Happy fishing!

This helps me out alot,thank you for the advice.
PinkBrat

Personally, I dont know if you are about quantity over quality. I used to have a lot of roleplays back in the day but I was still unfulfilled. I accepted nearly every story I got and asked to rp with others too. I find it much better to advertise for particular stories I want to do. I usually get a few offers for that single story that can be played out in a variety of ways. I have a lot of characters and I'm creative. I post different settings and genres and just have people come to me that way. I make sure to try and put out as many different stories as I can so I can reach a broader range of people.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What kind of plots are popular?...

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus