Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The forgotten studio ghibli film.

Yeah, you read the title correctly. No, it's not some obscure movie nobody has heard about. While big names, like My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited away always come to mind whenever one thinks of the beloved Japanese animation studio, people don't seem to realize that there is one Studio Ghibli film that was made not under the studio's name.
81ThK2YkKxL._SY445_.jpg
The Last Unicorn was a beloved animated film from the early 80's. Created by what would later be called Studio Ghibli, it was originally ragged on by critics for messy artwork, and poor work. Though, the people loved the movie, me included, where it became an integral memory in many people's childhoods.
I ever so vaguely remember this movie in the back of my head but never knew it was by Studio Ghibli.
I adore the Last Unicorn, but this film isn't the only 'Ghibli' film that wasn't made under the name Studio Ghibli. Nausicaa is one as well. The studio was named Topcraft, and went bankrupt. However, three major headliners of Topcraft went ahead and bought it out (the rights, etc) and out of the three the two most famous are Miyazaki & Takahata (RIP).

I love that you shared this though. The Last Unicorn is never truly attributed to Ghibli, like Nausicaa. Ever since I was little, whenever I see whitecaps on the ocean I think "C'mon! You can do it!!" - Unicorns for the win. <3
JetStorm

I remember getting The Last Unicorn on my 8th birthday,and I still love it to this day.
I had no idea that they had anything to do with this movie?? It’s like every other person I meets favorite movie. I watched it a few times as a child but never comprehended what we being said

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The forgotten studio ghibli film.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus