Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » So You Say You Want a Revolution? 1x1x1

Captain Robbins (played by HRA)

(So you say you want a revolution? Well, you know, we all wanna see the plan.
1x1x1 With Me, Terel, and MadRatBird on the topic of REVOLUTIONS!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!)

"I can't believe the news today! Oh, I can't close my eyes and make it go away! How long, how long must we sing this song? How long, how long?" The alarm blared, reading 5:30 AM, Sunday Morning, December 1st. Snow was on the ground around his house, just barely more than 2 feet of it, making it terribly hard to shovel. But that didn't concern him at all.

"Because tonight! We can be as one tonight! Tonight! Sunday Bloody Sunday! Sunday Bloody Sunday!" Once again, the alarm carried on, but no longer just to be an alarm. It's job was now not to wake him up, but to keep him awake until he could get to his precious coffee and shower.

Jacob Robbins, 24, 5 foot 8 inches, blonde, long hair down to his shoulders, and blue eyes, stood up, climbed out of bed, and stretched. His neck and back joints cracked as he stretched, then he cracked his knuckles. Felt much better to be up out of bed now. He rubbed his eyes, and walked into the bathroom, turning on the light.

His eyes adjusted soon, and he turned on the faucet. Below, his feet felt cold against the tile ground, sending a shiver up his spine. Jacob splashed cold water into his face, running it through his hair, and shaking his head. He turned on the shower, letting the water run for a bit to create the steam he needed. Hot and cold, that's how he ran.

While that was happening, he ran downstairs, and got the coffee brewing, ran upstairs, and undressed. He stepped into the shower, the hot water running down his back. His eyes burst open. Now Jacob was awake, but he sure as hell needed that cup of coffee.

After around maybe ten minutes in the shower, he hopped out, and dried himself up. The mirror was fogged up, so he couldn't see his reflection in it. Not that bad of a problem, though. He always was scared about how he looked, so the more times he didn't need to see himself, the better. Although, he DID have a pretty good amount of muscle on him, and less fat than he thought, but still.

He put on a Pink Floyd shirt, pulled on some jeans, combat boots, grabbed his aviators and bomber jacket, and headed for the stairs. He clipped the aviators to his shirt by sliding one of the ear pieces down the inside of his shirt, and put the bomber jacket over his shirt.

Jacob heard the beep of the coffee pot, and descended down upon it like a bird of prey, grabbing the pot, and pouring himself a glass of the liquid gold. It filled up his mug, and he drank it down slowly, savoring the last bits. He grabbed himself some money, finished his coffee, and put on his jacket and aviators.

Time to go to Starbucks.
Emma (played anonymously)

((Hope this is okaaay~))

Sleep?

What is this word? What does it mean?

There'd been a woman walking the streets since two hours before now, just a little sluggish in her movements but nothing that seemed to suggest she was drunk or high.

She wore a coat - dark brown in color with its hood pulled tight above her head. The style of it was almost like a duster, but a little shorter. A dark blue scarf squeezed her neck and face, concealing it from the nose down, only a fraction of her face left visible, that fraction being her one eye. The other was hidden by the lengthy blond hair that fell before it, messy and wavy but clean.

The coat left her body hidden due to it being buttoned up and belted shut, her legs at least clothed in winter tights and brown boots. In her hand, she held a styrofoam cup and based on the way she held it, it was obviously empty. At the next available trash bin, she threw it away and searched nearby for a place that could replace the cup.

That fluid was the very essence of life! Without it, she could not function. Without it, she could not deny herself sleep. A Starbucks was within walking distance, and she saw its sign from down the street. After walking toward it (and nearly getting hit in the process by an individual thinking it was far too early for pedestrians to be out, so he decided it'd not much matter if he ran a red light), Emma finally reached its front doors, waiting in line patiently. She said not a word during this wait, though internally she did comment about the size of the line this early. She supposed people still had places they needed to be regardless of the time, and she was no exception.

During her long wait, Emma thanked her lucky stars she lived relatively close to everything since her apartment was about half a mile away and still downtown.

No one was yet behind her, though that was likely to change here soon considering Jacob's intention was to venture here, and that decision was made several minutes ago.

The line moved slowly.
Captain Robbins (played by HRA) Topic Starter

(AWESOME!!! :D I'm going to post right now, because I'm going to assume that the Government isn't directly involved in getting a cup of coffee and saying hi to a girl, or if it is, WE'RE BEING INVADED!!!)

Jacob hopped out of his car, nothing impressive, really. His boots made a deep indent into the parking lot snow, pushing the imprint of his combat boots into the snow, and with every step, a few more clumps of snow stuck to him. He didn't mind one bit. All he wanted was his coffee, and he could tell that more than a few of those there did, too.

He opened the door of the Starbucks, and peered inside. Goddammit... So many people in the line. And he had to sit in the back of this thing? More like stand. Well, if you want something that bad, you'd do anything for it. And he was practically ready to rebel against the Government to do that!

Jacob stood behind the girl in front of him, as the laws of common sense would suggest you had to do. He hopped about, and sighed. If this took a while, he was going to scream. Just like that guy on his shirt, but instead of screaming out of a wall, he'd be screaming in a building. How weird.

"If half the city woke up at this time, and went to this place, it'd be a smaller line, and much faster," Jacob remarked, and pulled his jacket closer to him. Still cold in that place. The jacket was pure leather, and brown in color. However, the edges were worn away from age, and matched the color of his hair. He had the fur on the collar, which he didn't button up yet. "And pretty cold in here, too,"

((YOU NEVER KNOW!))

Emma was finally next. She eyed the little display with fruits and yogurts and teas beneath the pastry display. Should she grab a snack as well? Hm.

The woman glanced over to the man only after he spoke. Otherwise, she did realize he moved in behind her as any normal person would have done, but she ignored him up until that point. Her lips twitched in a small smile. "That's what happens in the winter," she replied with playful sarcasm, though her voice wasn't laced with any underlying irritation or anything. The line advanced.

By that time, she looked back to the display and chewed on her lip. Banana nut bread or cinnamon roll? Hnngh. She lifted her finger a little bit and pointed toward the pastries, barely moving it from side to side. Her lips twitched, but no words came out. ...Was she seriously using the eenie meenie miney mo method? Looked like it. Her finger stopped facing more toward the cinnamon roll. By the time it was her turn, she gave the barista a tiny smile and placed her order. "Do you have something with cinnamon in it?" she asked.

"Yes, ma'am. We have a uh..." the barista paused for a split second to think - Emma remarked to herself that the woman likely needed a dose of what she was serving - and then she continued. "A cinnamon dulce latte."

"Alright, sounds good. That and a cinnamon roll, please," came the rest of her order.

After that, the price was given and Emma handed her cash - her last bill: a ten. When the change was given, she gave her name and went to stand and wait, tucking the change back into her worn wallet. Her eyes glanced over to the blond male just for a moment as he ordered, mentally complimenting his jacket. Ugh, what a girly thing to do, too!

((The truth is out there!))

"Really? I supposed it would get warmer. But then again, why would I buy this coat if it did?" Jacob smirked, eyes wandering, and he snapped back, smiling again. He was a random type of guy, and did what he chose. He stood, and waited for Emma, as he later found out her name was, to order. Jacob watched her order, and smiled slightly. What an interesting morning this would be.

He walked over, and ordered his usual. Grande Caramel Frappe, and a latte. Frappe because he'd had it since he was a little kid, and latte because it was cold. Two shots, too. Then he ordered a usual sandwhich, gave his name, and walked over to where she was standing.

"Cinnamon, eh?" Jacob asked, bobbing up and down on his feet. Not really a fan of cinnamon. More like whatever he could get his hands on. "Tried something similar before,"

((God help us all!))

Emma waited with endless patience, hands tucked away in her coat's pockets. The smell of coffee alone helped wake her up, and this put her in a pleasant mood. Sleep stole the time she could spend being awake, moving around, doing things... she hated it. It wasn't at all healthy, but she slept once every other day, sometimes with an unintentional nap breaking the cycle.

The deep circle beneath her only visible eye hinted at this, but she seemed alert enough to pass it off as it simply being the way she was. Many people had natural circles beneath their eyes at any given moment! When he stood next to her and made conversation, she gave him a wider smile and lowered her head so that she could look at the floor easier. From that position, her eyes moved upward to peek at him again, not directly facing him but not exactly turned away either. "To go with the cinnamon roll," she replied. "It's my favorite here. Though you can't go wrong with a little coffee with hot cocoa mixed together." Mmh lord that sounded delightful right about now. Realizing she may just leave the conversation hanging, she asked him, "Oh? What was that something?"

"No, but black coffee works just as well on me, to be honest," Jacob said, and couldn't help but chuckle inside at how she was acting. When he realized she had said something to him, he thought about it, and responded, sticking out his tongue in a manner of distaste. "A spoonful of it. I learned the hard way NOT TO BREATH. Never again."

He thought about the situation he was in. Sleeping, but barely, and full of nightmares of things past. Such a lovely way to sleep. Somewhat scared of the night, but hey, he had good reason to. And for a reason he forgot now, he always slept clutching an old t shirt of his that he didn't know what it was. Never opened it.

"So, does the floor look good? I think it was just waxed,"

"Black is good with sugar. I can't stand just straight black coffee. Smells wonderful but tastes just awful," she replied. By that time, she lifted her head to look at him again, mainly because she'd started laughing at his reply. "That wasn't bright, but I doubt you need me to tell you that," she laughed.

When he asked if the floor looked good, she looked back down at it and narrowed her eyes, pretending to analyze it carefully. "They missed a spot," she said with a faux stern voice. The smile emerged again and she released a sigh from her nose, looking back up at him and parting her lips to speak when she was interrupted by her name being called along with her order.

The young woman walked over to the barista and accepted her drink and pastry, leaving Jacob a few feet behind, and paying the woman a quiet thank-you before turning away. Emma's eyes glanced out the window and noticed it began to snow a little bit. "Looks like I'm eating indoors," she muttered idly to herself. "So what's got you up so early, stranger?" An attempt at continuing the conversation? Probably. However, before she said a word, she'd check to see if he was eager to end their casual exchange beforehand. She didn't want to force this on the man. Really she was bored and he wasn't irritating, so what was the harm in talking? Not like she spoke to many people this casually often at all.

"Yeah... I.. uh... Yeah." Jacob chuckled, then grabbed both his drinks, food, and looked around for someplace to sit. He dropped his stuff on the table near him, and yawned a bit. Man, he needed that caffeine. All of it. "Want to sit down? I get tired of standing for more time than I should,"

He looked down. He put a hand to his chin, and began to stroke the imaginary beard he had just magically grown. "Yes, yes. Quite. Indeed they did. You can never get good service these days," He chuckled, and smiled at her. He sat down on the chair with a sigh.

"Jake. Call me Jake, please," He said, and stretched out. "Well, it isn't easy getting up at 5:30 every day for no reason other than to beat the lines to Starbucks. But yes, that is why I suppose I do it. That, and to escape my nightmares. What about you?"

He managed to get a decent chuckle out of the girl when he played along. As far as him asking if she wanted to sit, she nodded and caught his yawn. "But yeah, sure, let's sit," she answered at last. When they sat down, she rubbed her eyes with her fingers, which were still swallowed by gloves.

"Emma," she replied. Well, she figured he already knew her name since he was standing so close to her when she ordered, but just in case he forgot, she repeated it. When he returned the question, the woman shrugged and contemplated a reasonable answer. There was no reason to really lie about it, though, aside for the fact that she expected to be nagged about it and wasn't really looking forward to it.

"Insomnia. Nightmares. I've been up since around 3:00 this morning. Went to sleep somewhere around midnight," she finally answered. However, she failed to mention her insomnia was voluntary. And while she had very vivid dreams, and although they were likely considered nightmares because of their content, there was something strange about them that made them not quite nightmares.

((Last post for me. I, unlike our characters, actually love sleeping))
"Insomnia, eh? Sounds like great fun. Well, your reason beats mine, I guess. At least you have a reason. I used to like sleep. Now I wish that it was over. If only I got rid of my dreams," Jacob said, staring off, then took a sip of the Frappe. It chilled him, chilled him to the bone. But he still drank it anyway. Why? He loved that stuff. It was like a milkshake to him.

"So, how's that coffee of yours doing for ya? Good?" He wanted to get off of that awkward topic of not being able to sleep. If she had problems, and she didn't want to talk about them to a complete stranger, then she didn't need to. He was fine with that. But like he was when he was young, he was a giant softie when it came to others.

Emma shrugged and offered a little smile. "See, I don't miss sleep. I hate sleeping," she replied, chuckling just a little. A sip to her own drink gave her time to think. "I wish I could offer advice on how to get rid of nightmares aside for trying to learn lucid dreaming."

It felt like heaven to drink such a hot drink in this weather, even though she wasn't yet outside. She was still pretty chilled in here, but the latte helped a great deal. She looked over to him mid-sip when he asked the question, taking a moment to drink her fill before sitting the cup down.

"It's nice. Like a treat, almost, but not too sweet." Speaking of treats! She looked over to the cinnamon bun and took off her gloves so that she could pick pieces off and pop it into her mouth. Didn't want to dirty her gloves after all!

((As soon as I get out of school, I'm getting one of those Frappes. Man I need it))
"Lucid dreaming. Sounds fun. Maybe I should try it later in life," Jacob said, shrugged his shoulders, and yawned. Now that they were talking about sleep, well, it seemed weird that he was tired. But hey, when you've barely had anything to wake you up.

"Like the frappe, but warmer?" He asked, and finally took another long sip out of his Frappe. He got used to the cold, but unlike her, he would wait for the warm drink. See, when you get out into the cold, drinking something warm, and holding the same thing, works wonders. Drinking something warm inside, well, not so much. Fires helped at that point.

((Haha, doesn't it?!))

Emma took another long, slow sip. "It's phenomenal...," she muttered into her cup. The words were almost eerie, but only if one knew what her nightmares consisted of. Perhaps it was strange that her sleep was riddled with these awful nightmares, and yet she seems to have experience controlling them?

Oh well. She didn't think it mattered much, so the comment may simply encourage the man to seek out his own methods sometime. To his question, she nodded and smiled. "Mhm, yeah. Once it warms up, maybe I'll see if I can't get a frappe version of this. Something cinnamon-y." Good lord, what boring conversation they were actually indulging in!

"More cinnamon? Is that even possible?" Jacob chuckled, and slurped up half of his drink. When it came to these frappes, he loved them. He cherished them. Oddly enough, he gulped them down twice as fast. One would think that he would slowly drink it. But no, he drank it fast, and no one would tell him different. For now.

Yes, it was quite the boring conversation. Only made more awkward because he was socializing with the opposite gender. Which he never really did. Luckily, or really, unluckily, the news popped on. The TV mounted in the coffee shop began showing pictures of Government members burning down houses. Houses with people in it. They said it was because of a disease, but he didn't believe that BS.

"What... On... EARTH?" He said, and looked at the TV.

"There can never be enough cinnamon!" she replied happily, grinning even wider and seeming to look much more awake.

She was slow with her drink, perhaps because of having this conversation with the stranger (which never, ever happened with her being completely comfortable during the thing like now - it was more like a pleasant little surprise, you see). However, her pretty calm and happy demeanor changed drastically when the news popped on.

Emma stopped drinking.

She looked visibly angered, though there was another expression on her face - one of disbelief. "What...? Why the Hell would they show this?!" she asked, having to quieten herself after her second sentence began to avoid yelling.

"There are people in there? Is this real? Seriously?" A sort of desperation coursed through her and she felt helpless. This was evident by her lowering her head to glare at her drink, and by her arms falling limp at her sides. "What next?" she finally added, sighing and shaking her head.

"Mother should I trust the government..." Jacob whispered to himself, but loud enough for everyone else to hear. It was from a song called Mother by Pink Floyd. Very applicable in this situation, though. He used to think that the Government was there to help them. Now he was done with them. "I don't want to listen to this bullshit anymore. Not one bit more."

The TV said the Government declared Martial Law. Now it was getting to be the final straw. He thought about what to do for a bit. Now, he was no dummy. He knew that if he played his cards right, he could get a position of high power now. But what he really wanted to do was beat the crap out of the Government. Make them pay, put them out of power, and get a new order in.

"Do you like the Government, Emma?" He asked her, getting an idea. It was going to be now or never.

Emma blinked a little and almost looked up at Jacob, instead keeping her gaze on her drink, brows still pinched together but now more out of confusion than distress. She swallowed, not afraid, just... uneasy. She wanted to say she didn't want to listen anymore either, but for some reason, words just wouldn't come together for the young woman.

She was picking at her nails now, chewing her lip, just overall trying to ignore what she was hearing but having no choice but to listen in. The information needed to be absorbed. The question prompted her to blink rapidly again, meeting her eyes with his. What?

She almost glared at him. Not because he pissed her off, really, but because she felt almost offended to have him ask it like that. "No," she said as calmly as she could manage. Of course not! she added mentally. She wanted to yell.

Instead, she bottled her anger and looked around, judging everyone else's reactions to hearing the news. Of course not everyone was as distraught as these two, primarily because they were so preoccupied with fussing at the baristas for not being fast enough or for not getting their order right, and so on.

Some just weren't paying attention, too absorbed in their devices to glance up at the screen and truly listen.

Some simply shook their heads in disgust and continued with their previous conversations or whatever it was they were doing.

Finally, Emma looked back to Jacob. "Not at all."

"Then do we need this government? Can we do without this one? Not saying we don't need a government, no. We do. But why not shape this into something we like? Something that everyone wants?" Jacob asked. It probably was fast, it probably was too soon, but when you've stayed that close to becoming something big, hell, you'll do anything to get there.

He had a bloody big grin on his face when he realized that, yes, if it worked out, there would be a lot of good things happening to him. A position in power, most likely. But for once, a Government that worked for the people, and with the people.

There was a moment where Emma smiled. It was an upset grin that would leave her later. For now, she let it remain on her face as she listened. "God, if only it was that easy...," she replied. Her eyes were still locked on her drink, and she didn't seem to be interested in it at the moment either. "I wish one person could make a difference," she added. Apparently she thought of trying to fix things herself, but felt she couldn't. She didn't even know where to begin.

Now, here's the part where her smile faded: Emma glanced up, saw Jacob's wide grin, and she frowned. Her eyes widened, and for a moment she just stared.

"Good God you're serious...?" she practically whispered in disbelief.

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » So You Say You Want a Revolution? 1x1x1

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus