Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Option to hide kudos from news feed (solved)

Anon2020 (played anonymously)

So my topic is about kudo’s. I and some of my RP friends have been wondering about, if there could possibly be an option to hide the kudo’s someone gives a person, so it doesn’t appear in the news feed.

Now. I’m aware of the simple option to unfollow a friend on RPR. However. I do not wish to unfollow someone, and miss anything important they might do that would get put in the news feed section.

Personally some of my friends and I feel like the kudo’s are there for a popularity contest. We are aware that isn’t the case. But with all the kudo’s we see our friends give one another, and we ourselves rarely get any, it makes one wonder: What does one have to do to get a kudo’s on this site?

Most of the time I only get kudo's when it's the holidays of December, where you earn a candle icon on your writer page for giving so many people a kudo's. That is literally the only time I mostly see any to me.

Otherwise it's like exploring the Sahara desert for a swimming pool.

My friends agree with me it can seem like such, though I admit that myself personally seem to be the most, shall we say, envious of all. I’ve done my best to do different things to stand out, even giving kudos to other people. Yet I feel as though I am not good enough to earn a person’s kudos. I sit and see my friends post them to other writers and their characters...and it is like: I don't want to stop watching a person fully, just give a way to turn off or make private the kudo thing.

I am aware that most people will disagree with me. I am aware that most would find this to be not of importance. I accept both of those. I am also aware that myself and my friends, who I will not name out of respect for their privacy, may be the only ones who feel this way. Especially to those of you that might consider this to be a bit on the selfish side. Again, I accept this.
I'd also like to see this as an option. I understand that kudos is a nice way to gauge how good a roleplayer can be with people. But some would rather just talk to the player themselves and not bother with them at all. It would be nice to turn them off if you're not interested in seeing kudos for any reason.

If not that, then just an option to turn off certain notifications in your news feed would be nice, if that hasn't been implemented already.
Kim Site Admin

You can uncheck kudos to stop seeing any notifications related to kudos: https://www.rprepository.com/settings/personalnotifications
Anon2020 (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
You can uncheck kudos to stop seeing any notifications related to kudos: https://www.rprepository.com/settings/personalnotifications

Ah! Thank you, Kim! I feel a bit silly, for not having double checked to see if there was such a thing. This is most helpful.
Kim wrote:

Short of bookmarking that page... how do you navigate to it? I see 'Alert Settings' which is similar, but I'm missing how to find the page you linked through the site navigation. :)
Kim Site Admin

Juls wrote:
Short of bookmarking that page... how do you navigate to it? I see 'Alert Settings' which is similar, but I'm missing how to find the page you linked through the site navigation. :)

When you go to your homepage, in the sidebar (or at the bottom, if on mobile) you will see a section labeled "Filters" with a bunch of links to filtering your notification feed - for example, only seeing notifications from a particular group.

The top filter is just titled "all," and shows you the normal notification feed you're used to seeing when you load up the homepage. Click the pencil next to "all" and you can customize how notifications are served up to you. :)

I'll put this on my list of features that should get a feature spotlight news post too. :)
Kim Site Admin

Also: for those wondering how some people get so many kudos -- a lot of people ask directly for kudos. This doesn't have to be weird or forced.

"I'm so glad you are enjoying RPing with me! Would you mind putting that in a kudos too? It would mean the world to me" is a great way to remind people to spread the love when they say something nice to you.
Anon2020 (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Also: for those wondering how some people get so many kudos -- a lot of people ask directly for kudos. This doesn't have to be weird or forced.

"I'm so glad you are enjoying RPing with me! Would you mind putting that in a kudos too? It would mean the world to me" is a great way to remind people to spread the love when they say something nice to you.

I hadn't thought about asking to be given one before. I guess in my thoughts, asking for one would be a bit like tooting your own horn.
Kim wrote:
Juls wrote:

When you go to your homepage, in the sidebar (or at the bottom, if on mobile) you will see a section labeled "Filters" with a bunch of links to filtering your notification feed - for example, only seeing notifications from a particular group.

The top filter is just titled "all," and shows you the normal notification feed you're used to seeing when you load up the homepage. Click the pencil next to "all" and you can customize how notifications are served up to you. :)

I'll put this on my list of features that should get a feature spotlight news post too. :)

Ah! Got it. Thank you. :)
LakotaSiouxWarrior

I personally like them. They are great reading and I love seeing the love between freinds being celebrated.
Kim wrote:

Oh, I see! Thank you so much, Kim.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Option to hide kudos from news feed (solved)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus