Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Whisper?

giphy.gif

What's up with this term? Is it simply a private message? Does it imply anything else? <.<
It's just a pm, yes. The term comes from Furcadia, where private messages were called whispers since the beginning. Given how old Furcadia is, the term whisper is.... old, but rather niche. But there's a considerable amount of overlap with RPR users and Furcadia users (I'd legitimately estimate that 99% of Furcadia has an RPR)
Literally furcadia lingo for private messaging. I've got no idea why they've got to always tell x and y is whisper friendly. What, asking stuff through PMs is some sort of roleplaying sin? LMAO

Edit: Turns out, it's a furc exclusive term, so don't even bother with it.
Luscinioide

Churchtuary wrote:
Literally furcadia lingo for private messaging. I've got no idea why they've got to always tell x and y is whisper friendly. What, asking stuff through PMs is some sort of roleplaying sin? LMAO

Edit: Turns out, it's a furc exclusive term, so don't even bother with it.

Silly boy. Don't you know it's practically a gift for them to tell you it's okay to message them? ;^) You should feel honored.

Sarcasm aside, most Furcadia profiles you find here are, in fact, Furcadia exclusive unless they say specifically RP on RPR. It doesn't make sense, I know. But don't get your hopes up for most of those profiles, because chances are they're not interested unless you will RP on their client.
MordosKull

Back in me days of playing in MUDs and MUCKs the term whisper was also used for pms. Also 'we' (its weird saying we, as if some part of a collective or something) used the term 'page' to talk about private messages- that actually took me a long while to understand. From what I understand, whisper and page and stuff like that are all interchangeable.
Sacrilege wrote:
Sarcasm aside, most Furcadia profiles you find here are, in fact, Furcadia exclusive unless they say specifically RP on RPR. It doesn't make sense, I know. But don't get your hopes up for most of those profiles, because chances are they're not interested unless you will RP on their client.

There's also players who only play on discord, and who favor other places as well. Just RPR serving its original purpose: hosting character sheets. Our forums and such came later.
Zelphyr wrote:
Sacrilege wrote:

There's also players who only play on discord, and who favor other places as well. Just RPR serving its original purpose: hosting character sheets. Our forums and such came later.

I second Zelphyr, here! ‘Whisper’ is still primarily used by Furcadia folks, and is a holdover from MUDs/MUCKs. It’s usually a tipoff that the person is a Furcadia player...or over thirty. Oops. But yeah, if you see a “Whisper [x]” it’s just a direction to the in-game username associated with that character; ‘whisper-friendly’ just welcomes DMs.

RPR is just the host and not strictly a “these people play on RPR only” spot, so I hope I’m mildly misreading the slight hostility further up - it does actually make perfect sense. Additionally, many settings and players span multiple platforms (Furcadia settings, included), and it generally doesn’t hurt to send the player a message asking if they’re wanting to RP.

In my experience, players will get more choosy based on ongoing continuity concerns with their characters, rather than the platform, itself!
Juls Topic Starter

Thanks for the answers everyone. I will admit I wondering if it might have a slightly dirtier connotation. XD *pulls mind out of the gutter*

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Whisper?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus