Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Anyone on the West Coast, USA?

MasterWinter

Hello fellow RPR members, Winter here.

So. I know I mentioned about the fire doing the damage it did to Big Basin. But I hadn't realized just how bad things were getting to be on the West Coast.

bvnlErU.jpg

Quote: "I don't believe everyone is aware of how much the West coast is burning right now.

you hear about the fire in California maybe a peep out of the one in Oregon but can we talk about the entire West coast.

Washington State hit a historical moment with more than 330,000 acres burning in 24 hours, that is more than the last 12 fire seasons in Washington all together.

Pray for everyone on the west coast this week as the temperature still rises and strong winds fuel this chaos until Thursday evening."

Source: Got this from Facebook at this link here

That's just one thing I've seen recently. Then there are things like this video from another Facebook post here.

My reasoning for posting this is: I just wanted to not only bring awareness, but to check in and see if those on the West Coast are doing okay as they possibly can. I know that at least some cousins of mine from Santa Cruz had to evacuate. So far my former choir teacher is still where he is, my aunt who helped me move to GA hasn't had to evacuate with her husband and dog.

These are tough times we are in now. And this fire is certainly not helping people on the west coast. Be it from making people evacuate, or if they don't then they deal with crappy air pollution.

Please be as safe as possible, and I hope things will work out eventually.

I'll leave ya'll with some laughs to hopefully make you smile.

-Winter

Funny stuff to hopefully brighten your day

zbXNGEp.jpg

DETKWMP.gif

xwtpWBr.jpg

WvDklU5.jpg

WyPfkPT.jpg
Oregonian here.

Part of the problem is that there's a lot of wildfires on the west coast every year. Yes, I'm pretty sure things have been getting worse in recent years, but part of why you don't hear too much about it is that people are just... kind of used to it. And in Oregon in particular, you're not likely to hear much about fires if they aren't threatening Portland or maybe Salem. The rest of the state, in addition to just being sadly used to fighting fires every year, tends to just... go ignored. :( I can't tell how much of the obliviousness is some degree of intentional (as in the media not deeming it worth reporting on or it generally being dismissed) vs. the rest of Oregon just... well, not picking the right times to speak up. But, uh, that starts getting into political crap there...

In any case, thanks to smoke it's been orange outside for days, but that's about all I've personally been dealing with. I'm not even sure how much it's affecting breathing since I haven't had to go outside. At least everyone's already wearing masks...? ^^;
MasterWinter Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
Oregonian here.

Part of the problem is that there's a lot of wildfires on the west coast every year. Yes, I'm pretty sure things have been getting worse in recent years, but part of why you don't hear too much about it is that people are just... kind of used to it. And in Oregon in particular, you're not likely to hear much about fires if they aren't threatening Portland or maybe Salem. The rest of the state, in addition to just being sadly used to fighting fires every year, tends to just... go ignored. :( I can't tell how much of the obliviousness is some degree of intentional (as in the media not deeming it worth reporting on or it generally being dismissed) vs. the rest of Oregon just... well, not picking the right times to speak up. But, uh, that starts getting into political crap there...

In any case, thanks to smoke it's been orange outside for days, but that's about all I've personally been dealing with. I'm not even sure how much it's affecting breathing since I haven't had to go outside. At least everyone's already wearing masks...? ^^;

Literally my only way of knowing what's going on for you guys, is as mentioned in my main post above, the fact I got some friends and family over there. The west coast that is. Other wise I'd be oblivious of it too, unless it showed up on my Yahoo! page when going to check my e-mail. I RARELY watch the news, if ever, so yeah. Makes me feel bad that I don't know things till kinda late, and then I'm like: S**t! I should check in on people!

Yea I've seen photos of the orange sky over there. It's icky to say the least.

If you ever do need to go outside, please stay safe as you can!
Zelphyr wrote:
Oregonian here.

Oregonian here as well, but I'm just outside one of the fire evac zones... the smoke and ash is really bad where I am. It looks like a Mad Max set outside. And with the falling ash, maybe Silent Hill.
Got a little bit of an update. I've been managing to avoid news (info burnout) for the most part for a little while now, so... pretty out of the loop.

One, went outside, and smells like what I expected. Well, debatably not as bad as I expected, since I've been able to smell it inside faintly for awhile now.

Two, a nearby area is on alert for possible evac. Like a city or two over.

The chances of me personally being directly threatened by the fires is super low. The smoke, sure, but the area I'm in is pretty safe from the fires themselves. So no worries there for my sake. Hope the rest of those anywhere near fires are able to stay safe as well.

And a thing to be aware of: many firefighters, particularly those from the really small towns, operate on a volunteer basis. Even those that don't still work with serious risk to them. Extra love is warranted.
Not in the US, but on the West Coast. For the past couple of days the Canadian Government has giving Air Quality Warnings due to the fires on the American West Coast, but as aforementioned by others, this is a pretty common occurrence for this type of year. What I will say though is that usually my province (think State) of British Columbia is also generally on fire at this time and it has been extremely quiet here this year in comparison to the norm. Sadly, not the same for my southern friends, and my heart goes out to those of you affected or at risk of being so. It is always scary. I have lived in a place when you can see the entire horizon on fire and you just wait, biting your nails waiting for a potential evacuation.

On a side note, still would not wanna meet a Cardassian. Unless it's Garak. Then, hell freaking yes! In all other instances, there are four lights.

garak.gif

Demilicious wrote:
Not in the US, but on the West Coast. For the past couple of days the Canadian Government has giving Air Quality Warnings due to the fires on the American West Coast, but as aforementioned by others, this is a pretty common occurrence for this type of year. What I will say though is that usually my province (think State) of British Columbia is also generally on fire at this time and it has been extremely quiet here this year in comparison to the norm. Sadly, not the same for my southern friends, and my heart goes out to those of you affected or at risk of being so. It is always scary. I have lived in a place when you can see the entire horizon on fire and you just wait, biting your nails waiting for a potential evacuation.

On a side note, still would not wanna meet a Cardassian. Unless it's Garak. Then, hell freaking yes! In all other instances, there are four lights.

garak.gif

While yes I agree that it's not unusual for the West Coast to have fires, I've not seen nor heard on this level before. Especially when it hit Big Basin. That was just, damn.

Hope your friends can stay safe as possible, Demi. And glad that for you it hasn't been so bad. Small grace is always nice.

XD Omg! Wasn't Garak the one who at one point, I think (been too long), who was trying to hit on Doctor Bashir once? Silly Demi. <3

Zelphyr wrote:
And a thing to be aware of: many firefighters, particularly those from the really small towns, operate on a volunteer basis. Even those that don't still work with serious risk to them. Extra love is warranted.

Yeah. It's bad for firefighter's in general, but especial love to the small town volunteer's. <3

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Anyone on the West Coast, USA?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus