Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Pick 'main' alt/character

Sanne Moderator

Not a high priority suggestion, but perhaps sometime in the future it would be neat to label a character as your 'main' character, be it OOC or RP. :3
Kim Site Admin

This sounds like it might be a part of the larger request for being able to order and categorize characters. I think there might be a place for it in the future. If not a declaration of "main" character, than perhaps an ability to feature one of your own characters on your profile for whatever reason.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Sorry for necro'ing an oldie, but this crossed my mind again today and I was wondering if there's ever been anything done with this? :)
Giving my honest opinion, I fail to see the point in this on RPR. For OOC, what does it matter? And for RP, it would just be the character you use the most, and some people prefer to try and use characters they don't often use if they are looking to start new RPs. Maybe I'm not quite understanding what Sanne is asking for, but I don't see a point in this feature.

Picking a character and placing them at the top of the list as a 'featured' character. In places like Furcadia it's a common term to denote a character you use the most. Usually, this character is the one a player invested most time in or finds the most developed.

Before we had kudos, characters were featured based on certain criterias, too. It's a low priority feature, but it can help show off the character you are most proud of without having to make someone read through your profile.

This suggestion is old, though as Kim said, might tie in nicely with organizing characters into categories. Possibly dividing them in categories like medieval, sci-fi or whatever you feel fits to make it easier for people to browse your characters.
It also makes some folks go ":O OH YOU'RE ____('s PLAYER!?)" if they happen to recognize you. ... which has no real purpose beyond recognition, but hey, it happens, especially when usernames & main 'alts' don't match up.

</useless two cents> It sounded nice at 10:43 PM.
Minerva

I've long outgrown purposefully pampering a "main" character, but I would ---love---to be able to categorize my characters. Me, I'd do it by plot relation. Ash Ferous Luci Zenthus Rudianos Rumea, Auroch for example, theb "misc" for Itachi, Rafe, others. Or maybe by world setting ooo~

Copper_Dragon wrote:
It also makes some folks go ":O OH YOU'RE ____('s PLAYER!?)" if they happen to recognize you. ... which has no real purpose beyond recognition, but hey, it happens, especially when usernames & main 'alts' don't match up.

</useless two cents> It sounded nice at 10:43 PM.

That's what I was thinking as well. XD Even 3 years after I stopped using a certain alt as my main character, people would recognize me quicker if I told them "I used to play ___" than saying "Hi, I'm Sanne!"

Minerva wrote:
I've long outgrown purposefully pampering a "main" character, but I would ---love---to be able to categorize my characters. Me, I'd do it by plot relation. Ash Ferous Luci Zenthus Rudianos Rumea, Auroch for example, theb "misc" for Itachi, Rafe, others. Or maybe by world setting ooo~

Considering I too stopped using a main character in that sense a bit after I originally posted this topic, categorizing is my main goal with this too. :) It shouldn't be limited to just 'timesetting', but be freely customizable by members. Like.. sorting PMs in folders!

Something I'd like to request for this, as well, is to be able to order the categories ourselves so we could still achieve a 'featured' category when customized, for example. I would be bothered if the categories were unchangeable from being displayed alphabetically or by timestamp.

Question is, what kind of interface would this require? Should there be a separate page for all our characters with a reduced amount of characters on the general profile page (like we have for kudos and accolades)? Should users be able to toggle between both the default we have now and that new interface if it's implemented? (I vote yes. :D)
Ah, I see. I guess I just don't see much of a point when someone can just click on your profile and see all the characters you play? So they would be able to just see the names and go 'Oh, you're (blank)'s player!'

I guess I'm just not making this connection xD; I understand main alts in Furcadia, oh yes. But when you have all the names of your characters right on your profile, I think the main point/connection of this idea is just eluding me. (I am a blonde, after all. OTL)

CelestinaGrey wrote:
Ah, I see. I guess I just don't see much of a point when someone can just click on your profile and see all the characters you play? So they would be able to just see the names and go 'Oh, you're (blank)'s player!'

I guess I'm just not making this connection xD; I understand main alts in Furcadia, oh yes. But when you have all the names of your characters right on your profile, I think the main point/connection of this idea is just eluding me. (I am a blonde, after all. OTL)

If you have 30+ characters, it becomes easy to get 'lost' in the amount of information. :) But no, it's not just the recognition. It's a combination of 3 things:
  • You can organize your characters into different categories so people can see, at a first glance, if the character fits the setting or ideas they have in mind.
    • For example, you can sort them into time setting: medieval, modern, sci-fi. Or you could sort them by the games you play: Furcadia, WoW, TES. Or whatever other system you come up with, really!
  • If there are characters you're particularly proud of, or they're the ones you find yourself roleplaying most, you can 'bump' those characters to the top of your list and let the world know those are your favorites or most developed characters. It's like pinning a medal to your character.
  • And yes, there is also recognition. I used to go by the name Sadil everywhere I went. When I switched to my real name, Sanne, I had to have my character Sadil listed somewhere so people made the connection. Considering I have 30+ characters to my name and my list of characters is lengthy, people may not notice right away. Besides sorting and featuring characters, this can definitely help make the connection for many people much easier to find without the user having to repeat themselves on their profiles.

I hope it's a little clearer now? If you're still confused, just say so. XD
Ah, okay! I understand much more now lol!
I do like the idea of sorting them into categories and 'bumping' them to the top. Now it all makes sense. xD
Kim Site Admin

No ma'am, no progress here yet. I've been enormously bogged down in the big massive priority features lately, and making progress at a crawl with this long long illness. :(

By the by, I think this is the related thing on my to-do list: http://www.rprepository.com/development/developmentTask.php?task=133

It hasn't gotten a lot of love as yet.

Kim wrote:
No ma'am, no progress here yet. I've been enormously bogged down in the big massive priority features lately, and making progress at a crawl with this long long illness. :(

*gets drowned in emails from the spurt of activity on this oldie*

Awwr, don't stress yourself too much! *hugs* I was going through the Dev Log to see if you'd added it there, but as I couldn't find it (or overlooked, clearly) I figured I'd give it a shot. :) It's definitely something I'd like to see happen, but you're the biggest priority over all tasks, so please do rest enough. :( Or your Poodle will be sad!

(By the way, you owe me a homecooked meal for that lightsaber.)
Kim Site Admin

You can turn those off now! *waves pompoms*

I just edited my post above to include the link to the dev log.
Sanne wrote:
Kim wrote:

*gets drowned in emails from the spurt of activity on this oldie*

Awwr, don't stress yourself too much! *hugs* I was going through the Dev Log to see if you'd added it there, but a I couldn't find it (or overlooked) I figured I'd give it a shot. :) It's definitely something I'd like to see happen, but you're the biggest priority over all tasks, so please do rest enough. :( Or your Poodle will be sad!

(By the way, you owe me a homecooked meal for that lightsaber.)

I know! But I wanted notifications on this and now everyone is posting so quickly I'm going a little @_@. XD

And I saw and edited my post accordingly. *cough*
I would like that feature for 'main' Character because I have 4 on my profile theres only 2 i actually play as and then I have 2 side characters. So when [people want to rp with Zayne and kazu, I have to turn them down and I feel bad about it. (But i just cant play main as a guy, i get bored). So I'd like it
Minerva

It would be practical, imo, to let players choose a primary ordering of their characters on the main profile page, where people normally would go with importance, but maybe give a categorized link. Let people change column names so they aren't stuck going by genre. People could do antagonist, contagonist or protagonist... Or divide them by world (in my case nexus or szurane) etc. Maybe epic users can get multiple cat pages, so normal users can categorize one way but you can upgrade to multiple tables somehow?
Minerva

i also thought of something that might make kim's head pop. Options of columns and rows both. Example: columns-pro, con, antagonist. rows of worlds (szurane, nexus). So in protagonist i would have, say, raphael and rumea, rafe in nexus and rumea in szu columns. Divide villains etc. That's just an example of the crosschart. Maybe it could drag and drop?

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Pick 'main' alt/character

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus