Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » So, anyone getting ready for NaNoWriMo?

Eeeee! Almost time to start!
TheLily

I added you to my buddy list. This is exciting :3 My fingers have been itching all day.
I start in four hours! Add me, its the same screenname :)
...does our rp here count? ;D if so, then yes I will sort of be participating. I never quite make it to halfway there, but I honestly don't try so hard. I need to!
CelestinaGrey wrote:

May I add you Celestina? I always take more writing buddies <3
Absolutely!
Highjinx wrote:
CelestinaGrey wrote:

CelestinaGrey wrote:
Absolutely!
Highjinx wrote:
CelestinaGrey wrote:

Yay! Thanks!
I'd like to try it... I've never done it before and I'm not sure if I wrote any sort of reply on this yet. Does anyone have any advice? :x
TheLily

My best advice is to just start. When I did it last year I doubted that I would get past the first chapter, since I never got to the end of an actual novel before. I started and I did it. Just start, if you don't make it, no big deal. Every word you write is one you didn't have written before <-keep that in mind and you'll do fine.

Oh, and have fun with it. Don't make it an unhappy chore. :3
TheLily

Did any of you do Midnight start? I'm winding down before bet, but my first hour got me 2320 words. Normally I could do a lot better, but I don't know my character's names yet. For some reason I kept forgetting the simple one.
Do you write on the site or on a program and copy/paste it or upload it btw?

Can you go back and edit information on it? For some reason I thought October had like 50 days in it or something lmao.
I was gonna get up at midnight and write, but I was spending time with my sister (I'm home for the weekend), and we decided to just sleep 'cause we stayed up until like 11 and I was exhausted. XD So, gonna write soon! :D
TheLily

MadRatBird wrote:
Do you write on the site or on a program and copy/paste it or upload it btw?

Can you go back and edit information on it? For some reason I thought October had like 50 days in it or something lmao.

you don't write in the site, you write in your program of choice (Scrivner for me!) and then when the time it right you copy/paste into their verifier, which comes out after the twenty fifth. You update your words daily on the site at the top where it says "Update Word Count" and there is also the option in the drop down menu to "Validate my word count" which is awesome because every word counter is different. I'm not sure if they count hyphenated words or not.

You can also edit information, like lets say on the 7th you were at 65898 words at the end of the day, but didn't have a chance to edit it, if you go into your page, you can go to the "stats" tab and from there there is a section where you can update word counts by day!
Aww thanks so much! That puts me at ease really. Thank you. :).

I was worried I just mucked up my thing by not filling everything out. XD
I have always wondered what NaNoWriMo was. I believe this year, I will join it. If there is anyone who wishes to find me, my username is Collaborator (very secretive, and official). I would love to write with anyone, truly!
TheLily

MadRatBird wrote:
Aww thanks so much! That puts me at ease really. Thank you. :).

I was worried I just mucked up my thing by not filling everything out. XD

It's pretty hard to screw up anything on the NaNo site. You and me should run some word wars after this weekend, plus you should tell me ALL about your novel, I am really curious as to what will come out of your head.
WORD WARS?

And I have a really neat idea actually! I have part of the basic plot written out on paper, and the main points I need in my head, but the rest of it isn't fleshed out. I'm guessing I'll do it as I write. I hear it's best to leave yourself a lot of room in case you want to add or change things.
TheLily

MadRatBird wrote:
WORD WARS?

And I have a really neat idea actually! I have part of the basic plot written out on paper, and the main points I need in my head, but the rest of it isn't fleshed out. I'm guessing I'll do it as I write. I hear it's best to leave yourself a lot of room in case you want to add or change things.

Word Wars are the best. I usually do at least three a day if not more. There are some days where I'm unavailable (Tomorrow and Sunday), but usually I'm around at some point where I'll have 15 minutes to war against someone.

I usually leave a lot of room to give myself space, but last year I didn't plan other than the end. This year I have a basic outline of characters and which direction they should point. That's only because I want to finish this one with a bunch more intelligence and start a second novel by the 20th at the latest.
What are word wars?
TheLily

Word Wars are where you take a set ammount of time and you write as many words as you can (usually 5, 10, or 15 minutes, but I know some people who do 30 minutes or an hour and one pair of gentlemen who do 1.5 hours against each other). Once time is up you see how many you end up with. It's a good way of getting to your goal AND it also gets you to be a faster typer :3

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » So, anyone getting ready for NaNoWriMo?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus