Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Writing replies during in the 'wrong headspace'

This is just something silly that I realized and has been sticking with me. I'm always very worried about peoples perceptions of me, and this one is sticking with me-- Because I enjoy roleplaying so much, chances are whenever I get a reply to a roleplay, I'll quickly try to reply to it. Usually this isn't an issue, but earlier today (very long week for me, I'm emotionally torn up) I replied to a roleplay that I'm excited about on here (what-what, first roleplay on the site) aaaand...
It was awful. I didn't think about it much, I'm used to using Discord or even Facebook where you can delete or edit messages forever, but I went to double check my response after doing some tasks (clear head, you know), I realized how absolutely terrible the reply was. Yikes. And it was too late to edit. Double yikes.

This is all just context, but I thought it was important. So, how do you realize you're in the "wrong headspace" for roleplay? It's not burnout, exactly, I WANT to write and have no trouble doing it, I just can't get into it. If you CAN identify it, how do you fix that for yourself?

Oh, and, another question: How to tell a roleplay partner that you really aren't that much of a novice writer without embarrassing yourself further?
sunshinemutt wrote:
And it was too late to edit. Double yikes.

I agree. I wish the edit window was (a lot) longer. I've definitely written and sent replies that kinda make me cringe when I return later and re-read them. Drives me slightly crazy when I catch typos (or worse - like I used the wrong name to refer to a character or a place) after that 15 minute edit window and I can't fix it.

sunshinemutt wrote:
So, how do you realize you're in the "wrong headspace" for roleplay? It's not burnout, exactly, I WANT to write and have no trouble doing it, I just can't get into it. If you CAN identify it, how do you fix that for yourself?

I try ( though not always successful, because sometimes I'm too impatient) to type up my response in a separate text editor and then not send it for at least an hour. Then come back and re-read it.

In theory, you could spin up a private group for you and your partner, then could have an unlimited edit window and still have it be just as private as PMs.

sunshinemutt wrote:
Oh, and, another question: How to tell a roleplay partner that you really aren't that much of a novice writer without embarrassing yourself further?

If it's just a matter of typos or poor wording choices, eh, I wouldn't try to justify it. We all have our less-than-eloquent days. The next one will be better. Unless you think something is actually not decipherable. Then maybe an OOC "correction" message might be in order.

If it's more that you think you've taken the story in an undesirable direction, then it might be worth asking your partner if they'd be okay with a do-over.
Me playing dollhouse with my sisters, saying, "wait no actually that didn't happen... Hold on..."
Rogue-Scribe

I’m usually too critical of myself to let a rushed post go. I usually suffer from nog posting when I’m not satisfied with a post, of if I think my post isn’t worthy of my writing partner. That said, I have on occasion fired off a quickie from time to time that are cringe worthy when I read them later.
Sanne Moderator

So, after some years of therapy, one of the most important skills I learned was to set boundaries and reserve me-time. This means I will let my partners know that, hey, I'm swamped and need a break so I'll respond later. I then don't respond until I feel better.

Being medicated has helped a lot with this too, but figuring out when I hit that point was something I worked on well before that and I think it's a healthy way to do your hobbies no matter what they are.
Taramafor

Don't worry about messing up. Expect that. Treat it like writers block. "Write anyway".

Instead, fear not doing anything at all. There's no need to rush. I can wait a while for a response. Write what you will. Proof read. Make slight changes if needed. But get it sent and worry less. You can look back on the roleplay afterwards. Detect where to improve.

There is no "wrong headspace" because the right headspace is to make the best FROM the worst. Once you do that, you start improving on a whole. I put that line of thought behind everything I do. And it gets amazing results. Just make sure you at least try to keep that ball rolling. Mistakes or not. The more you mess up, the better you get at it. Do that in the "wrong headspace" enough time and you'll find you can make better posts even if your feelings aren't allinging with your posts. We're also what we do. What we DO changes how we feel. So in making those better posts even if you don't "currently feel like it", making those posts can change how you feel.

I used to worry a lot too. But honestly, it was all excuses. Just do it anyway. And don't try to meet peoples expectations. I used to para post only, but gotten in the shorter style. To an extent. "Little details" matter more then "fluff". Action matters more then "once upon a time". Still manage to get good adventures of burning towns as a dragon and torturing drow, and consuming souls, and, and, and...

And all because I went "Let's do it anyway".

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Writing replies during in the 'wrong headspace'

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus