Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » I've been meaning to write their profile (Contest)

Claine Moderator

Hey there!

Do you have characters you've been meaning to update? New characters that still only have blank profiles? Well, this may be the contest for you!

Here are the actions you can take for entries! They can be repeated as many times as you want until you hit the maximum points.

Editing A Profile (Minor) - Adding a few bits of information which you should've added before but were too lazy to do so! (1 entry per instance. Maximum of 10 entries)
Editing A Profile (Major) - Adding lots of new information, new sections, overwriting obsolte information, major changes profile layout. (5 entry per instance. Maximum of 30 entries)

New Character (Minor) The profile must contain information (not just placeholder text) but remains highly incomplete or short. (1 entry per instance. Maximum of 2 entries)
New Character (Major) The new profile contains a lot of information. It may be considered incomplete as long as a lot of time and effort has been put into it. (5 entry per instance. Maximum of 20 entries)

New Image (Minor) You create a reference image on Dollmaker or similar site https://picrew.me/ and www.heroforge.com may be good places to start. You MAY NOT use artwork you do not own found on Google / Deviantart / Pinterest or similar. Commissions are also not permitted, because this contest is about putting in the effort yourself, rather than having somebody else do it. The image must be created by you, for your character. (1 entry per instance. Maximum of 5 entries)
New Image (Major) You create artwork of your own character. Any skill level and level of finish is permitted. (5 entry per instance. Maximum of 30 entries) Commissions are not permitted in this tier, because this contest is about putting in the effort yourself, rather than having somebody else do it.

Lastly, the entrant decides what constitutes a minor / major update. People prefer profiles of different lengths and detail, and it'd not be fair for me to dictate my preferences onto others. But I ask you to be considerate to all other members, and judge your work appropriately :)

To enter, please post in this thread with a list of profile updates you have made.
Eg:
Quote:
I finally fleshed out John's profile and created an image in Picrew for him.
Editing A Profile (Major) 5 points
New Image (Minor) 1 point

If you wish to enter an anonymous character please contact me privately on your player profile. This is to prevent users going over their point cap.

The contest will end on March 1st Australian EST (which may end up being Feb 28 in many timezones so keep that in mind.)

Three winners will be selected from the pool of entries. Each person can only win once.
1 Grand Prize - A Dragon's Tooth
2 Runner-Up Prizes - Either a Enchanted Silk Cloak or a Oil of Epicness, of the winner's choice.

If you have any questions or comments please post in this thread. I may add clarifications to this post if the same question gets asked a few times :)
Two Five questions and a suggestions. :)

Q1: Do corrections count toward anything in edits? Not updates, just plain fixing typos or adjusting a layout to work better in some way without necessarily changing any info (or possibly adjusting an image you already have)?

Q2: I got a little confused reading New Character (Minor) and would like to clarify. What you describe is the end point of a new character created, right? Reading it, I somehow got the impression it was supposed to be a starting point to build from, but I'm sure that'd belong in then edits... Might have just been some weird brain fuzz on my part.

Q3: Another clarification - by "instances" do you mean what the site counts as a character slot? Would a multi-character slot count as one instance, or would each character in it count as an instance? I'm assuming the max entries is referring to how many entries a player can have and instances referring to how many entries can be made via a single character/slot, rather than how many entries will be accepted in that category and the instances referring to player accounts.

Q4: Could an effort be counted multiple times? I see this mostly happening as a combo of new characters with new images - do the new images count only as part of the new character, or should they be counted separately?

Q5: A meeting of Q1, Q3, and Q4 - what of a case where a new profile/slot (or multiple) is created to separate out a multi-character slot, whether or not any info in any of them is actually changed? Or the other way - characters which seem to fit together are merged into one slot? Do these count at all? If so, would separation count as edit and/or new character? Would merging count as one, or as each character ending up sharing the slot?

S1: You mention a couple of dollmaker/generator ideas. I think it might be help to some folks to mention more (be aware, I haven't recently checked usage rules on these). I might try to add links when I get to my laptop but names, at least: Hero Machine is its own more western-style dollmaker that, last I checked, has some wild flexibility in how items are layered and positioned, though it can still be used as a standard digital dollmaker without the extra efforts too. For more realistic images, This Person Does Not Exist generates a random face mixed from a collection it has (might not count on its own, but maybe could be useful in other things), and Morph Thing allows you to mix faces of your choosing. There's also Art Breeder which is... interesting. It can do photos, a painted look, or more cartoonish things; it features a number of trait sliders that use some level of "random" mixing to make adjustments; and you can select numerous images to mix from their database as a starting point, and can just keep on mixing until it seems right.
How generous of you! Good luck to the entrants!
Claine Topic Starter Moderator

Zelphyr wrote:
Q1: Do corrections count toward anything in edits? Not updates, just plain fixing typos or adjusting a layout to work better in some way without necessarily changing any info (or possibly adjusting an image you already have)?
Yes! I'd consider corrections to be considered minor edits!
Zelphyr wrote:
Q2: I got a little confused reading New Character (Minor) and would like to clarify. What you describe is the end point of a new character created, right? Reading it, I somehow got the impression it was supposed to be a starting point to build from, but I'm sure that'd belong in then edits... Might have just been some weird brain fuzz on my part.
I'm not lying down any hard and fast rules on this, because it comes down to an individual and how they write / use their profiles. But for example, a user who usually writes detailed profiles may quickly whip up a character with the creation wizard and they probably wouldn't consider it to be to the level of effort they usually put in. Effort is such a subjective thing, and I'm not going to waggle my finger and tell people they haven't done enough to count as 'major'. That's for the entrant to decide themselves.
Zelphyr wrote:
Q3: Another clarification - by "instances" do you mean what the site counts as a character slot? Would a multi-character slot count as one instance, or would each character in it count as an instance? I'm assuming the max entries is referring to how many entries a player can have and instances referring to how many entries can be made via a single character/slot, rather than how many entries will be accepted in that category and the instances referring to player accounts.

I might need to think about how to be clearer on this point.
An instance would be a character, so a profile containing multiple characters could be counted as multiple instances.
5 entry per instance. Maximum of 30 entries

For every character you edit, your name appears 5 times on the drawing list. By fulfilling this requirement, your name can appear a total of 30 times (which really means it caps out after 6 characters).
Zelphyr wrote:
Q4: Could an effort be counted multiple times? I see this mostly happening as a combo of new characters with new images - do the new images count only as part of the new character, or should they be counted separately?
You can add images to characters that already exist and have it be counted for the purposes of this contest.

I don't really see a need of counting other things multiple times. If you want to count multiple minor, then you should probably just call it a major. A 'major' is already considered 'a lot of effort' and a double dose of a lot of effort is still just a lot of effort, so it'd still fall under this category. There's not really any reason to count it multiple times. It's about improving your profiles and not about trying to cheese the system for prizes.
Zelphyr wrote:
Q5: A meeting of Q1, Q3, and Q4 - what of a case where a new profile/slot (or multiple) is created to separate out a multi-character slot, whether or not any info in any of them is actually changed? Or the other way - characters which seem to fit together are merged into one slot? Do these count at all? If so, would separation count as edit and/or new character? Would merging count as one, or as each character ending up sharing the slot?

I would count this as an entry since you're putting effort into tidying up their profiles. I'd personally consider them 'edits' rather than 'new characters' since the information is already written and you're just tidying it up, but if you intend to do this and feel strongly otherwise I'd be happy to hear it.
Jhalue Ninn (played by Juls)

Quote:
I fleshed out information about one of Jhalue's crew members.
Editing A Profile (Minor) 1 points
Pint (played anonymously)

Quite a curious contest this one. I reckon I'll give it a go.

Pint's profile here is quite extended but it's got some updates pending that I've been putting off. Guess this is quite the motivation factor.
Elmer Stroud (played by Juls)

I agree! Quite motivating! :) I've already burned a bacon I've been sitting on for a year (why was I "saving" it? lol) so that I could get in here and make some edits.

Thank you, Claine! Even if I don't 'win', it's still a win!
Quote:
Spruced up Elmer's history with a few points that have come up during play.

Elmer Stroud wrote:
I agree! Quite motivating! :) I've already burned a bacon I've been sitting on for a year (why was I "saving" it? lol) so that I could get in here and make some edits.

Thank you, Claine! Even if I don't 'win', it's still a win!
Quote:
Spruced up Elmer's history with a few points that have come up during play.

Hmm.. delicious burn bacon... NOW I'M HUNGRY

Quote:
Added a bunch of pending relationships. Two of 'em if it counts for anything. Editing A Profile (Minor) 1 points
Quartz Bloodhorns (played by MordosKull)

Quote:
Also added relationships for this guy. Editing a Profile (Minor) 1 point

Quote:
New Image (Major) I FREAKING DREW A PIC OF HIM BY HAND AND ONE FOR ANA BECAUSE I ALWAYS GO ONE STEP BEYOND SUCKAS! 5 points
The GM (played by Juls)

Quote:
Added a bunch of NPCs from an old RP that I just don't have the heart to get rid of yet to The Game Master's profile. Now I can delete the slot these guys were taking up and get one step closer to getting back into the black on slots... *sniffle*. Goodbye Peasants... (Watch out characters! I've got my chopping axe out! Who's next?!)

Yasss I'm so happy to see that people are working on their profiles! And MordosKull! That image is so cute!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lxeiY_nu-qzPhPvEALjasyMblc19drhkCVUIynvIO6E/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the Spreadsheet where I'll be keeping track of entries! If you think your tally is incorrect feel free to poke me. (Within reason I'm a human bean who sleeps and works and you're not going to have instant updates)

On Sheet 1 you can see the total scores of each user, on Sheet 2 you see a detailed list of each entry.

(Also I think I've got it locked down so I'm the only editor but if that's not the case please somebody let me know)

Edit: I increased the max number of points for New Character (Major). I envisioned this as a 'profile cleanup' contest, but I decided I may've too harshly penalised people who may want to finally get out characters they've been too lazy to even begin
I'll definitely be doing this at some point. I have two characters that are literally nothing but a style and some decor. No words. XD This will be great motivation to finally get those filled in. Thanks Claine!
Rogue-Scribe

This is kind of cool! A lot of times I do minor edits without thinking too much about it. So... I'll start off with this...
Quote:
Tweaked Derrick Meuller's information adding a few details from a recent RP.
Editing A Profile (Minor) 1 point

Question on this: "(1 entry per instance. Maximum of 10 entries)"
Does that mean a person can only do it once, or once per character up to ten characters? To simplify, what exactly is an 'instance' and what is the maximum referring to?

Rogue-Scribe wrote:
This is kind of cool! A lot of times I do minor edits without thinking too much about it. So... I'll start off with this...
Quote:
Tweaked Derrick Meuller's information adding a few details from a recent RP.

Question on this: "(1 entry per instance. Maximum of 10 entries)"
Does that mean a person can only do it once, or once per character up to ten characters? To simplify, what exactly is an 'instance' and what is the maximum referring to?

I answered a similar question earlier, hopefully it clarifies things:
Zelphyr wrote:

I might need to think about how to be clearer on this point.
An instance would be a character, so a profile containing multiple characters could be counted as multiple instances.
5 entry per instance. Maximum of 30 entries

For every character you edit, your name appears 5 times on the drawing list. By fulfilling this requirement, your name can appear a total of 30 times (which really means it caps out after 6 characters).
Rogue-Scribe

Yeah I saw that later after I posted. I totally missed that. Makes sense.
Quote:
I cleaned up some unfinished widgets on Ray Slaton's profile, but he is in need of a major overhaul I think. For now...
Trudy White (played by Juls)

Quote:
Added a new 'Red Rock Tribune' page for Trudy here, who's been hard at work on her newspaper publications lately! Also added some RP ideas and fleshed out a bit of info about her son, added a traits section now that I "know" her a little better with some RP time. I may still make some more edits, but I'm a lot happier with it today than the extremely bare bones thing it was yesterday. :)
Editing A Profile (Major) 5 points
Rogue-Scribe

Quote:
Rearranged Durian’s widgets to better make sense and tweaked some of the history and corrected some typos.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » I've been meaning to write their profile (Contest)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus