Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » NaNoWriMo Chatting

Hey guys! So, it's NaNoWriMo, and it's popping up all over the threads! However, I thought it might be nice to rustle together just one thread for the specific purpose of chatting about NaNo and our stories. It'll be sort of like the 'just talking' chat spot, but NaNoWriMo specific so we don't flood the normal chat. XD
Our other NaNo threads are for things like contests or some newbies who ask for help, so I thought that a fresh thread like this could be helpful! :)

So! It's day two (at least in my timezone), and I've got 3,208 words. I have my plot written out completely, which is a hugely different approach for me! What is YOUR approach for NaNo? Do you often get writers block? What resources do you use to help you, with writers block or name-finding or any research you have to do?

Go forth, NaNoers, and talk! :D If you are having a block or anything like that, go ahead and comment and fellowship with other NaNoers who can offer advice!
Limeface and I are currently doing 1x1 Word Wars XD So our word counts won't but updated for a little bit yet (It's 11:14PM Nov 2nd here in Japan) My approach to NaNo has been to write my ending first, the beginning, then everything else. No editing till December.

*edit*

We went 5 rounds of 15 tonight, with some derping, and I got 3,080 with brings my total for day 2 up to 5,675 *dances!*
I had very little time last night but I made sure I at least started! I'm only at 400 words right now but that will change today (today is dedicated to NaNoWriMo for me). I'm really not sure what my approach is... I originally tried to write out a plot line for one of my stories to use, but I just got rid of the whole thing and started on a different story all together! Honestly, except for the ideas holding up in my mind, I think I'm winging it (sort of).
By the end of my very first attempt ever at this I had 2004 words and the end of my sort of prologue. My approach for this was to write out the beginning to one of my character's stories. I know where it starts and where it should go but it won't exactly have an ending.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Currently sitting in a Starbucks with Redbeard and our IRL friend Lucille just plinking away. We all didn't get anything done yesterday. Currently I'm whooping their butts at around 1500 words (though we aren't making a competition out of it just yet).

I just distracted EVERYONE trying to find out what a certain type of architecture is called... it's like a covered outdoor walkway. (There's one in the HP movies.) Turns out its called a peristyle, though an arcade is quite similar. I found this awesome wiki article you guys might like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_architecture

Also, unrelated, a while ago my friend sent me this awesome resource: http://www.cartographersguild.com/reference-material/19730-how-far-horse-travels-one-day.html
TheLily

I spent the day with at a write-in and I was in our regional chat competing against one of two people in my region who actually give me a run for my money. It's been a pretty productive day, but I'm behind for my goals. This was a really good idea, Celestina, and I actually have a group I set up (and completely forgot about) located here if anyone is interested. I'm going to clean up the colours and then set my husband as founder once he finally gets around to joining the group.
CelestinaGrey Topic Starter

Cool! I didn't know there was a group about it! :)
TheLily

I actually listed it as private while I played with the colours, left it and only looked at my side bar today!
TheLily

I think I invited everyone who posted that they were doing it, sorry if I missed you.
TheLily wrote:
I think I invited everyone who posted that they were doing it, sorry if I missed you.

Thank you for the invite, Lil. I accepted. Very good idea. :)
I'll give it a go, but i doubt i'm going to manage to get it done this time :P But it's nice to try.
CelestinaGrey Topic Starter

Degu wrote:
I'll give it a go, but i doubt i'm going to manage to get it done this time :P But it's nice to try.

It is nice to try! :) I feel the same way, but I know I wouldn't forgive myself if I didn't even try. We can do it!! :D
Ilmarinen Moderator

Give it a serious try. NaNo is one of the most eye-opening experiences for writers I can think of. Unshackling yourself from your inner editor is EXTREMELY hard, but that freedom produces so many wild ideas. Tons of crappy ones too, and shoddy writing and over-elaborate descriptions as you try to beef up your word count... but lurking in there are solid gold nuggets of pure glory.
You can do it, Degu! :D
I wish they chose a better month for it. November is the month where all my university deadlines start to collide, merging together into a black hole that drains all my time and energy.

But I'll be damned if I don't write at least a few chapters by the end of the month.
Heimdall wrote:
Give it a serious try. NaNo is one of the most eye-opening experiences for writers I can think of. Unshackling yourself from your inner editor is EXTREMELY hard, but that freedom produces so many wild ideas. Tons of crappy ones too, and shoddy writing and over-elaborate descriptions as you try to beef up your word count... but lurking in there are solid gold nuggets of pure glory.

Aye it would be a serious try, but i think perhaps i am too serious about it. It's the fourth of November and i'd generally prefer to get some serious planning done in the month beforehand or so. So if anything, i will give it a serious try this year but i think next year will be my main go at it when i've had a chance to prepare. I want nothing more than to get writing :)
I have no chapters, no pauses, paragraphs, characters, and roughly 2800 words. I have 5 more hours before I must work on school work. I am short, so short, of words, my daily assignments overcoming my daily quota of words...but I should be able to catch up within this week.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » NaNoWriMo Chatting

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus