Skip to main content

Forums » Looking for RP » Gravity Falls Inspired Supernatural RP (closed)

This Looking For RP topic is marked as closed, meaning it is no longer seeking new players.

Note: This RP idea is inspired by Gravity Falls, but is not connected to the canon.

READ FIRST:

Players aged 16+ are required. This is a personal preference due to the age gap there would otherwise be.

This is a multi-paragraph RP. If you feel you can't maintain a pace of about 2 paragraphs average per post, this might not be for you. Also, expect long posts from me early on - don't feel obligated to keep up with them and don't expect them to persist throughout; it'd be mostly due to me setting the scene.

In a remote location, mysterious happenings have begun to occur in increased frequency. The supernatural is spilling out into the real world. Through cryptic clues and the uncovering of secrets, a pair of adventurous children are of the few who are not oblivious to the dangers that lurk in the shadows. When faced with the monstrous, the mythical and the outright kooky, it is only they who have the courage to face the trials ahead. And perhaps, from time to time, have a bit of fun doing it. One thing is for certain - this will be a summer break they will never forget.

What I'm looking for:

So this RP idea is designed to centre around the supernatural adventurers of a couple of kids. The ideal character age range is 12-14. However, I'll allow for 10-15, as I do not think that will break any of the feel of the RP. Human characters are necessary in the sense that they must start the RP as humans; but given the supernatural element, non-human characters are permissible as long as they obtain that inhumanity at a later date.

There are four options regarding the relationship between our characters: Either they can be siblings (as long as there is enough between the characters that it can work that way), adoptive siblings, friends, or they can meet each other as strangers.

My Character:

For this idea, I'm putting three characters forth. You can pick which you want me to play as.

The first is Tym. He's fairly lazy and a massive bookworm and does a lot of studying. His wizarding ability as per his profile will be diminished and would likely be down to some book or another he will obtain at some point during the RP. His downside is that his adventuring would be pretty reluctant at first as he doesn't like physical activity, though his laziness would probably subside over time. He works well with more active, more physically capable partners.

The second is Kiro. His inhuman features will probably be gained as part of a curse at an early point in the RP. He's a lot more active than Tym and he loves computers and tinkering with mechanical things in general. The downside is that his sense of humour is pretty poor; and whilst there are things that can make him cheerful or excited, those things most certainly don't involve comedy. Of course, that doesn't mean his seriousness can't be used as a comedic tool in the first place. He works best with playful, fun-loving characters... as long as they don't get overly obnoxious about it.

The third is Mickel (Who will probably be using the name 'Michael' instead to match real-world anglophonic naming convention). He will likely gain his wings as some sort of curse and probably some magical item of clothing that hides them, the logistics of which would also limit his use of his wings for dire occasions. He's cheerful, he has a great singing voice and is fairly physically active. Unlike Kiro and Tym though he doesn't have the same degree of practical skill in an area of expertise. Unlike the others who fit well with opposites, Michael probably works best with characters with a similar cheerful, curious personality to his own. The religious aspects of his profile will not be used for this RP. He will be considered a non-practising Christian and will be indifferent to atheism.

The setting:

The setting is pretty open, as the nature of the themes means the RP can pretty much occur anywhere. However, these three locations are ones that I have thought up, so if you like any of them, we can use that one.

1) Sleepy Welsh Hamlet: A fictional hamlet set in the valleys of Wales, the hamlet consists of a small cluster of houses with a single small grocery store. Most of the surrounding land is farmland, but there is one forest that though technically sits within privately-owned land, is generally avoided by all the residents due to strange happenings there. A public footpath skirts the edge of the forest allowing for legal access, and a couple of abandoned paths lead in, though they are mostly overgrown now. The nearest point of civilisation is a neighbouring village 2 miles away, which has a school, an inn, a church, a post office, a pub and a larger shop (though still not an actual supermarket).

2) Rural American Cabin: Very much similar to Gravity Falls, this setting is a rural cabin in a forest about a 10 minute drive away from a small town with all the mod cons. Though there are a few farms, tourist destinations and parks scattered around, the vast majority of the land here is untamed forested wilderness.

3) Inherited Cumbrian Mansion: The characters' (or one of such) family has come into possession of an old mansion inherited from a distant relative, somewhere in Cumbria in the north of England. The mansion is within easy reach of all the popular tourist destinations, though is itself tucked away within woodlands with ample land attached to it. It is within this land where strange happenstances begin to occur. The mansion itself is in a liveable state, though lacks modern touch and is somewhat dusty. It has working plumbing, is fully furnished and even has relatively intact stocks of linen. The trouble is, it may or may not be haunted. Note: Whilst the location of the mansion itself is fictional, the villages, towns and landmarks for this setting will be real-life locations.

Themes and Content:

This RP is fairly open ended based on the characters involved and the setting chosen, but essentially it'll be very much based on the dynamic of Gravity Falls. There will be spooks, there will be comedy, there will be goofy side-characters and the goings-on will become progressively more supernatural as the secrets are uncovered.

For the most part, the trope 'Adults Are Useless' will be employed for this RP, though there might be some exceptions. You can bet that all myths are true to some degree or another, there will probably be some extent of nightmare fuel and there may or may not be some occasional use of weird monsters.
Magic 50%
Magic is rare, but not unheard of. Mundane characters may or may not believe in it. Magical characters may form small and exclusive pockets for study, protection, etc.
Technology 50%
Modern
Combat 50%
Combat is expected as part of the storyline but it won't dominate the plot.
Romance 00%
No romance at all will be included in this plot, period.

Details: Freeform, paragraphs required, long-term RP partner preferred. Will be played one-on-one.

Honestly this sounds way up my alley! Is there any chance that the ages could be nudged up into the Seniors in high school range? I'm personally just not comfortable with Nightmare Fuel involving minors.

XOXO
Cassie
Riik Topic Starter

fullmarvelalchemist wrote:
Honestly this sounds way up my alley! Is there any chance that the ages could be nudged up into the Seniors in high school range? I'm personally just not comfortable with Nightmare Fuel involving minors.

XOXO
Cassie

Nightmare fuel is such a broad term really, and there's quite a lot of content in kids cartoons that can fit under that label. In this case, I'm thinking pretty much on the same level of Gravity Falls. Maybe taking influences from other cartoons or perhaps even other kids media in general, such as Goosebumps.

Raising the age band I feel would spoil the themes I'm looking for with this RP. An element of innocence and wonder is pretty central to comedy aspect. Plus, the specified age band creates a greater emphasis on the 'adults are useless' trope that is a key part of this.
Hey, this idea honestly seems interesting. My only question is your expectations for post length, otherwise, give me a little time and I can whip up a character that'll fit your prompt no problem.
Totally fine! I get that you're looking for a specific vibe and I respect that :)
Let me know if you're ever interested in one like this with slightly older characters :)

Best of luck and many adventures!

XOXO
Cassie
Riik Topic Starter

Raider-jack29 wrote:
Hey, this idea honestly seems interesting. My only question is your expectations for post length, otherwise, give me a little time and I can whip up a character that'll fit your prompt no problem.

Well my post length expectation is a typical length of 2 paragraph, save for moments when that's not really possible (so long as there's not a habit of frequent shorter posts). Mostly so I have something to work off of that doesn't get the RP bogged down in over-elongating of menial tasks or events. I can quickly lose interest in an RP if there are too many short posts in succession.
Riik wrote:
Raider-jack29 wrote:

Well my post length expectation is a typical length of 2 paragraph, save for moments when that's not really possible (so long as there's not a habit of frequent shorter posts). Mostly so I have something to work off of that doesn't get the RP bogged down in over-elongating of menial tasks or events. I can quickly lose interest in an RP if there are too many short posts in succession.

2 paragraphs is definitely doable for me. I also understand the boredom with short posts. I was wondering how you might feel about the characters being step-siblings rather than the suggested relationships above. That way their experiences with the supernatural can be something that brings them closer together even as they started out rather distant from one another.
Riik Topic Starter

Raider-jack29 wrote:
2 paragraphs is definitely doable for me. I also understand the boredom with short posts. I was wondering how you might feel about the characters being step-siblings rather than the suggested relationships above. That way their experiences with the supernatural can be something that brings them closer together even as they started out rather distant from one another.

I figure the adoptive siblings option covers that. So yeah, it's doable.

I think the exact relationship might be more down to a combination of which setting is used and which character I play (some combinations have natural leanings toward certain backgrounds that can alter the dynamic).

Lemme know what your preferences are and what you got in mind for your side of things in a PM.
I'm interested. Been on hiatus for a while and would like to go back in RPing and honestly this has intrigued me!
Riik Topic Starter

Goblinhunter61 wrote:
I'm interested. Been on hiatus for a while and would like to go back in RPing and honestly this has intrigued me!

Alright, so what do you have in mind in terms of options?
I really like the cottage.

And Tym.

He might work well with Amy, who is physically active.

i do have a question though, will we be gaining supernatural gifts/curses as the RP goes on?
Riik Topic Starter

Goblinhunter61 wrote:
I really like the cottage.

And Tym.

He might work well with Amy, who is physically active.

i do have a question though, will we be gaining supernatural gifts/curses as the RP goes on?

As for the gifts - That sort of thing is optional but possible. Though all of my characters will have at least one such event happen to them. in Tym's case, acquiring some sort of magical book.

For everything else - I'll send you a PM after I've had dinner to discuss things further.

You are on: Forums » Looking for RP » Gravity Falls Inspired Supernatural RP (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus