Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Kinda Want to Get Involved With DnD, but Not Sure.

So, as the title suggests, I'm new to the whole DnD style roleplaying, and I'd rather enjoy trying it out. I've never done anything remotely similar before so I don't know where, how, or what to do in order to start. Other than the obvious creation of a character sheet? Is there anyone out there willing to help?
I'm in the same boat!
I feel like they're just a step away from a regular RP session, but I've never found any friends IRL who were into DnD.
pixl.Bee

Allow me to join you in this boat >:) I've done a lot of research about D&D, made a few characters and understand most of the mechanics, but nobody I know IRL is interested in it and I don't have enough skill to DM, that's for sure.
Wandering_Mary

I play D&D, and I'm very willing to be the DM if necessary.
Just remember.

No DnD is better than bad DND, and also open communication.
Wandering_Mary

this is true, and dice are important
but when I'm DMing if you can pull an amazing act, I can override your dice roll
also house rule in general when playing with my family, you can reroll ones, but only on character creation
RoundTableKing wrote:
Just remember.

No DnD is better than bad DND, and also open communication.
For the sake of knowing, what would you use to qualify bad DND?
Wandering_Mary

when players or the DM are being a jerk, or making the game not fun.
EX. railroading (directing the players in a certain direction)
Also it's okay to say you're just not having fun.

Some groups like the war game combat aspect of things and other groups like the roleplay and interactions.

Depends on what you're looking for.
Wandering_Mary

this is true
Communication with your group, in person or online is vital for a good DnD game. Speaking as both a DM and a player. Setting the ground rules from the start and what each person wants out of the game is vital before session 0.
Wandering_Mary

Oh ok, I'll add that to my notes of what the **** a DM needs to do to make a D&D game enjoyable.
If you google RPG consent checklist it comes up with a good form to work from.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Kinda Want to Get Involved With DnD, but Not Sure.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus