Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The block is for a reason

This is a friendly reminder that not everyone you meet online is well-intentioned.
This is a friendly reminder that you don't have to be nice back.
This is a friendly reminder that there is a block button.

Coming off the first interaction where I've read a message and just thought, "No. Don't talk to this person anymore. Don't let them be able to contact you anymore. This isn't a normal 'cold call' LFRP message, don't treat it like it is normal."

And maybe they were just being extremely honest.
Well, here's extreme honesty back.
Don't cold call for smut RPs.
Don't specify you're an older man looking for 21+ female RPers.
Put out an LFRP Adults Only ad and screen from there, so you don't creep out random people.

Getting that message will make people uncomfortable as hell, regardless of all the other typical stuff surrounding those points. It should. That's the normal response.
I've also set my preferences to friends only being able to PM/DM me after I've had random people PM/DM me, asking for RP with one or more of my characters even though my profile says: I'm not accepting any, as well as no random friend requests.
Maybe there should be a rule against this kind of thing.

I don't think people should be allowed to just cold call ask for smut. It's gross, it's weird, and very unprofessional.
Kriptess Topic Starter

Truthfully, it shouldn’t have to be a rule. It should be common sense. It baffles me how it is appropriate in people’s minds. You think it, you write it, you reread it and you STILL think you should press send.

Perhaps a strike system should be considered? I’m not sure what is currently available to help protect other RPers, outside of moderators in the forums.
I`m really sorry that happened to you, Kriptess. Definitely report and block. I don't know if a strike system is in place, but it can definitely be suggested.
I agree that this is really creepy and I am glad you blocked them, but I don't know about a strike system for it because I can think of a few situations where this could be ok.

Like if there is something on the profile of the person being messaged that says or heavily implies that they are cool with it. That or someone suggesting a rp to one of someone's very very adult natured characters that welcomes such.

I don't know, I just think it's kind of one of those no size fits all issues.
Auberon Moderator

Hey all!

Speaking as a moderator, I am so sorry that you've dealt with that kind of harassment! That sort of behavior definitely runs afoul of our rules, and I would encourage anyone who gets such an unwelcome solicitation to hit the "Request Mod" button on the PM and report it to us. Mods cannot see your PMs unless they are reported (privacy is so important!), so if no one brings it to us, we can't handle the situation for you.

As for a strike system, that's essentially what we have in place for escalation of offenses! It's just a matter of actually being able to address the behavior to document it. Smash that "Request Mod" button liberally!

I personally have used the block feature (yes, mods can do that too!) for various reasons. You can block someone for "serious" reasons, but also far less serious ones, too. Someone makes you a little uncomfy and you don't want to talk to them? It's ok to block. You should never feel bad about drawing boundaries and taking space for yourself! Your comfort is of paramount importance in a community space.

(The following is in reference to a post that was removed) I do want to remind everyone that vaguely talking about other people isn't in keeping with the be nice rule. Having bad experiences leaves a sour taste in our mouths, but it's super important to be civil. The forums are a public community space, and it would be a major bummer for someone reading the forums to see a negative post about themselves. I definitely would not enjoy it. :(

Sorry to ramble, and thanks for sticking with me if you read all that. ;)
I am sorry you had to go through with that, I have experienced a similar creepy scenario. The block feature is honestly a godsend. Unfortunately I’ve met some people who are determined to find ways of contacting around the block. Sometimes it can be hard to put down boundaries. To be honest, it’s best not to waste your time of day on people like that.
Kim Site Admin

Avelithe wrote:
I am sorry you had to go through with that, I have experienced a similar creepy scenario. The block feature is honestly a godsend. Unfortunately I’ve met some people who are determined to find ways of contacting around the block. Sometimes it can be hard to put down boundaries. To be honest, it’s best not to waste your time of day on people like that.

Someone evading a block they know about can get them a very long ban, or permanent removal, from our community! For sure report that too.

I also want to reiterate what Auberon said: We don't know what happens in your PMs unless you let us know. Please use that request a mod button on inappropriate messages like this! I VERY MUCH want to create a safe community for everyone, and I need the help of members to do that. :)
I'm late here but I wanted to further lay to rest possible concerns users might have in requesting a mod.

Not once have I ever recieved any backlash for requesting a mod in a situation i wasn't sure called for it. The mods and Kim here are among the best moderation and administration team out there, and I've been personally encouraged to request a mod even if I wasn't sure if something broke the rules or was inappropriate. If I'm not mistaken, when 2.0 came out, Kim intentionally changed the terminology regarding request a mod to make users more comfortable in using it.

Requesting a mod won't necessarily get someone in trouble, I myself just today flagged a post simply because I believed it was in the wrong forum.

This is just a friendly reminder to use that request a mod button even if you're not sure it needs a mods attention. The mods will be able to assess the situation and make a decision and I don't think anyone will ever being scolded or face punishment etc for using the request mod button.

I realize this is a little out of the way as far as the topic goes, but I feel it's a good thread to remind anyone reading this who may not be comfortable using it or harbor concerns they will be 'bothering' the mods by using it or will recieve backlash or neglect in doing so.

THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN!

Smash that request mod button and let them know! If they don't know, they can't do anything, and I'll reiterate once more that you will not be bothering them, they will be grateful you reported the issue and helped keep our community a safe place to be.

Note: Mods/Kim please correct anything I've said you find inaccurate or needs clarification
Cass Moderator

Voldarian_Empire wrote:
I'm late here but I wanted to further lay to rest possible concerns users might have in requesting a mod.

Not once have I ever recieved any backlash for requesting a mod in a situation i wasn't sure called for it. The mods and Kim here are among the best moderation and administration team out there, and I've been personally encouraged to request a mod even if I wasn't sure if something broke the rules or was inappropriate. If I'm not mistaken, when 2.0 came out, Kim intentionally changed the terminology regarding request a mod to make users more comfortable in using it.

Thank you for saying so Voldarian. Your post is accurate and correct. :)
Rogue-Scribe

I just spotted this gem of a news article on Moderation that dropped last year when I was elsewhere. It is a fascinating read and it clearly speaks about the Mods and Moderation powers and how they conduct business here on RP Repository. Any questions one may have should probably be brought up in the News Article comments or via PM. Bottom line, trust in the ‘Request a Mod’ function.

I’m a bit off-topic, so getting back to blocks...

mL6Yfj6.gif

Yeah, had a few thrown my way. Stepped on one in the dark. Tossed a couple out myself. I review mine periodically which makes putting down a reason in the block-option helpful.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The block is for a reason

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus