Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Collaborative OC: Pillars of Salt; Pillars of Sand

plastic-glass

I was really struggling to think of a good title, so I just used a line from Viva La Vida by Coldplay, lmaooooo

Here are my starting thoughts:
    - Depressed aristocrat
    - Their world is messed up for one reason or another and they don’t know what to do about it
    - Surrounded by death, how do all these people die?

I hope that isn't too specific ^^"""
The last two points give me the vibe that their family is either responsible or neglectful with helping the issues plaguing their world (a plague perhaps :o), and this character is more inclined to pull away from their family due to this - they don't know how to fix the problem, but they definitely want to!

Tl;Dr, I see them as having a slightly skewed sense of justice from their upbringing, but are trying to be better; Perhaps this has caused a rift within their family :o
My immediate thought was something like the book "masque of the red death", good book

Maybe a steampunkish world? Maybe just normal Gothic victorian world. Or perhaps go the BioShock route.

So in the world there is a plague, no one knows where it came from it just appeared. So there is a lot of death no one who gets infected survives. This mostly only affects the lower class. The upper class have moved away from the lower class whether it be high rise buildings, rural country, or living underwater/in the sky. Basically the rich will keep mooching off of the surviving low class who are barely surviving.

Your character is a young man who is wealthy and is only recently 'independent' his family will still give him money but he has his own place. He is tall, brooding, and just despondent at the state of the world. He is a book worm and maybe is into science, though he never gets an actual education in that field.
plastic-glass Topic Starter

DarkCrow wrote:
The last two points give me the vibe that their family is either responsible or neglectful with helping the issues plaguing their world (a plague perhaps :o), and this character is more inclined to pull away from their family due to this - they don't know how to fix the problem, but they definitely want to!

Tl;Dr, I see them as having a slightly skewed sense of justice from their upbringing, but are trying to be better; Perhaps this has caused a rift within their family :o

Ooooo, I'm really vibing with this, particularly about the part where their family may be responsible for the plague and the family rift. I won't marry myself to any ideas, but I just wanted to give my thoughts about what you said

Thank you!!

Galaxy-Star wrote:
My immediate thought was something like the book "masque of the red death", good book

Maybe a steampunkish world? Maybe just normal Gothic victorian world. Or perhaps go the BioShock route.

So in the world there is a plague, no one knows where it came from it just appeared. So there is a lot of death no one who gets infected survives. This mostly only affects the lower class. The upper class have moved away from the lower class whether it be high rise buildings, rural country, or living underwater/in the sky. Basically the rich will keep mooching off of the surviving low class who are barely surviving.

Your character is a young man who is wealthy and is only recently 'independent' his family will still give him money but he has his own place. He is tall, brooding, and just despondent at the state of the world. He is a book worm and maybe is into science, though he never gets an actual education in that field.

I've never read that story before, but I'll be sure to check it out! I love anything from Edgar Allan Poe

I honestly vibe with all the aesthetic options you suggested, I haven't played with any of them in any big way, so it could be pretty neat

Everything else is superb also, especially the part about the rich separating themselves from the lower class to avoid getting sick. Your character description for the main character is also very good, really tickles my fancy

Like I said to DarkCrow, I won't marry myself to any ideas, I just wanted to give my thoughts on what you said ^^

Thank you!!
plastic-glass wrote:
I was really struggling to think of a good title, so I just used a line from Viva La Vida by Coldplay, lmaooooo

- Depressed aristocrat
    - Their world is messed up for one reason or another and they don’t know what to do about it

- They are from a noble bloodline of powerful mages. The last of his kind. The family wealth means he doesn't need to work

- He has magic so the poor or those in trouble come to find him for help and gifts:

- heal my sick daughter
- help my dying wife
- grant me money for a piece of land
- make me more beautiful so I can find a wealthy husband
- I want a child...

However, for every gift granted the opposite is given as well

- heals the daughter but the son falls ill
- heals the wife but the husband dies
- the land is bought but turns out barren or diseased
- makes her pretty but the husband turns ugly
- she has a child but the mother dies

The side effects are depressing and doesn't know how to stop them from happening
My immediate first thought was "somewhere in the future. climate change is wreaking havoc on the world, and the declining state of the environment is causing death to people worldwide, but the wealthiest people can afford to save themselves for the time being, while those with less money are suffering".
Some more arbitrary ideas that aren't relating to lore (unless...?)
-the character could have some obscure interest that few people expect of them. writing epic poetry, studying toxicology, fly-fishing... I don't know.
-the character could dress in a way that is considered unusual, either by people in their society or just by the standards of the average modern-day human.
-botanical motifs. yeah.
I hope some of this was helpful, and either way, good luck :D

Tusitala2017 wrote:
plastic-glass wrote:

- Depressed aristocrat

- They are from a noble bloodline of powerful mages. The last of his kind. The family wealth means he doesn't need to work

- He has magic so the poor or those in trouble come to find him for help and gifts:

- heal my sick daughter
- help my dying wife
- grant me money for a piece of land
- make me more beautiful so I can find a wealthy husband
- I want a child...

However, for every gift granted the opposite is given as well

- heals the daughter but the son falls ill
- heals the wife but the husband dies
- the land is bought but turns out barren or diseased
- makes her pretty but the husband turns poor and ugly
- she has a child but the mother dies

The side effects are depressing and doesn't know how to stop them from happening

Oooooo, holy crap, I didn't think of anything like that. If I don't end up using that for this character, I might use it for something else

Thank you!

Meowzer wrote:
My immediate first thought was "somewhere in the future. climate change is wreaking havoc on the world, and the declining state of the environment is causing death to people worldwide, but the wealthiest people can afford to save themselves for the time being, while those with less money are suffering".
Some more arbitrary ideas that aren't relating to lore (unless...?)
-the character could have some obscure interest that few people expect of them. writing epic poetry, studying toxicology, fly-fishing... I don't know.
-the character could dress in a way that is considered unusual, either by people in their society or just by the standards of the average modern-day human.
-botanical motifs. yeah.
I hope some of this was helpful, and either way, good luck :D

Those are also very fun!! I especially like the character trivia ideas you added, those are all very fun. Botanical motifs are also a soft spot for me, so I'll definitely probably integrate those somewhere

Thank you!

just gonna bump this rq

sorry, 'nother bump
Kim Site Admin

Random idea: Their best friend is also actually their therapist.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Collaborative OC: Pillars of Salt; Pillars of Sand

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus