Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Page creator tip to help screen readers!

I recently spent some time on the site using only a screen reader, with my eyes covered and no way to look at the screen, navigating only by the screen reader.

The BIGGEST problem I found myself having was that many, many, the majority actually, of peoples character pages do not have periods or any puncuation in the basic info areas, espeicially in large areas describing details in just a couple words. Ie "Hair: Long and blonde" or "Eyes: Wide and blue".

Not having puncuation, espeically periods at the end of each description, causes the screen reader to read them all very fast, so instead of being read in a normal pace, it sounds like this reads:

Hair:longandblondeEyes:wideandblue

If you do not have periods at the end of your descriptor words on your characters page, please consider adding them . It was like listening to a tornado of words in most peoples pages, and while I can just look at the pages and read for myself, if I was only able to use a screen reader, I'd have to pass on a lot of peoples characters due to barely being able to hear their character pages due to lack of puncuation causing the screen reader to blow right through it!

We certainly don't want that to be anyones experience.
Claine Moderator

ps if you don't like the look of full stops at the end of your dot points you can hide them like this:
Code:
[colour=transparent].[/colour]

Kim Site Admin

Really fascinating observation Mercy! :) And thanks for the tip Claine! I'm gonna put that on my profiles right now.
...could we get a collection of info and tips like this, for helping make various limitations people might have easier to deal with, and have it all shared in a Help page and/or news post? Maybe a help page that has a news post to announce it? Because I think it'd be a great to have a handy reference of stuff like this.

Now I need to remember to go through and update my stuff when I can actually sit down and focus on it...
MercyInReach Topic Starter

Claine wrote:
ps if you don't like the look of full stops at the end of your dot points you can hide them like this:
Code:
[colour=transparent].[/colour]

Thanks for this! ^-^

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Page creator tip to help screen readers!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus