Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Gal who went to school as a kid with needs

ChebaTheBee

Hey guys! I thought about giving this thing a shot! As the title says, I went to school as a girl with needs (pardon me if this wording isn't the best, couldn't find any better words), throughout both primary school and high school.

In Croatia, the country I am from, certain schools have this programme we call "individualised programme" that is for kids who have needs. With this programme students have tests that are adjusted for them, basically they get simplified versions to make things easier for them. As a kid I periodically had sessions with school's pedagogue and later on with school defectologist(s). However, my experience with all this is more negative than positive. It effected not only me but also people close to me as there were people who weren't of any help.

Feel free to ask me anything!
I was also a kid who was considered special needs from age 9 up, though I grew up in the US and our programs are likely different.

What kind of needs did you have?

How do you feel your needs could have been addressed better?

How understood do you think kids with your needs would be today, as opposed to when you went to school?
ChebaTheBee Topic Starter

What kind of needs did you have?

I had studying issues. Subjects such as math, physics and chemistry were quite hard for me (including croatian). Before I went to primary school I had issues with speech, so I started having therapies for that. I stopped having them after finishing second grade from what I recall.

How do you feel your needs could have been addressed better?

If you mean how they should have worked (sorry if I misinterpreted your question), I'd say folks such as certain teachers should have had genuine sympathy (including patience) and actually try to help me. Sadly, in primary school (from 5th to 8th grade) my form teacher who taught my class physics and math didn't feel like working me. She claimed that "she didn't have time to work with me" and discouraged my mum from sending me to her tutoring classes. Luckily there were teachers who did help, such as my 8th grade croatian teacher and my biology teacher for instance.

How understood do you think kids with your needs would be today, as opposed to when you went to school?

Well, I still think that there are kids who aren't understood when it comes to their needs to this day. I do believe that there are children who get actual help, while other children don't unfortunately. However, it is possible that at least few teachers and professionals would help and understand kids in the second case, but in my opinion every situation for every child is different or similar.
I can unfortunately relate, especially to getting shunted on care. My school districts were also way over capacity for most of my life, and it means kids with special needs just fall through the cracks. It really seems like something that is broken on a systemic level. :/

Thank you for sharing your story. I guess this is a global problem, not just an issue in the US...

Aardbei wrote:
I can unfortunately relate, especially to getting shunted on care. My school districts were also way over capacity for most of my life, and it means kids with special needs just fall through the cracks. It really seems like something that is broken on a systemic level. :/

Thank you for sharing your story. I guess this is a global problem, not just an issue in the US...

Oh my. :/ I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you have help now though, and you're welcome. Thanks for asking questions. C:
Some friends of mine who had better resources and understanding have patiently taught me a bit of basic math. I... still struggle with it, but it's better than it was.

I hope you also have had much better luck after school. :(

Aardbei wrote:
Some friends of mine who had better resources and understanding have patiently taught me a bit of basic math. I... still struggle with it, but it's better than it was.

I hope you also have had much better luck after school. :(

Oooh, nice! I have luck this year! I started having art therapy and it helped me so much so far. >v<

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Gal who went to school as a kid with needs

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus