Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Playing with friends VS strangers

So there's a common question that sometimes comes up in TTRPG spaces, and I'm curious about peoples' thoughts on this topic here.

Is it better to play with friends, who all want different things from a game, or strangers, who all want the same thing you want?

I have my own answer to this, but I want to see what others say without my bias, so I'll leave it out for now.
I think a mix of both make the most sense (for wanting the same thing and wanting different things from a game).

But I don't think that either friends always want different things or strangers only want the same thing. They're not exclusive to only one option.

It really just depends on the person regardless of whether you know them or not.
Aardbei Topic Starter

Eternal_Dream wrote:
I think a mix of both make the most sense (for wanting the same thing and wanting different things from a game).

But I don't think that either friends always want different things or strangers only want the same thing. They're not exclusive to only one option.

It really just depends on the person regardless of whether you know them or not.

So, I'm not saying that they are mutually exclusive. That's not the point of the question.

The question is simply asking for the hypothetical scenario, although your mileage might vary on how hypothetical that scenario is in your personal experience, on whether you'd rather play with people you know, who want different things from an RP or tabletop game than you do, or people you don't know who all want the same thing as you.

In the case of finding a middle ground, I think that's a bit outside the bounds of the question. It's really a question about why you're at the table. Are you there for the company, or there for the game? Sure, you can be there for both, but it's more concerned with what you'd prioritize over the other if given the choice.
Aardbei wrote:
So, I'm not saying that they are mutually exclusive. That's not the point of the question.

The question is simply asking for the hypothetical scenario, although your mileage might vary on how hypothetical that scenario is in your personal experience, on whether you'd rather play with people you know, who want different things from an RP or tabletop game than you do, or people you don't know who all want the same thing as you.

In the case of finding a middle ground, I think that's a bit outside the bounds of the question. It's really a question about why you're at the table. Are you there for the company, or there for the game? Sure, you can be there for both, but it's more concerned with what you'd prioritize over the other if given the choice.

I guess my answer isn't accepted then? Because I actually prefer a mix. I shall bow out as I don't know how else to answer since my answer would be out of bounds.
Around an actual physical table - I'd prefer to game with friends.

If we're talking play-by-post over the internet, then the focus is more on the story and I'd lean toward partners who want the same thing from the story that I want. (Often enough, those folks tend to become friends too!)
The majority of my role-plays are with strangers who become acquaintances, and eventually friends over the long-term. I don't make a decision on who I collaborate with writing-wise based on how long I've known them. For me, it more depends on the characters involved, the plot etc. If a friend happens to have a character that works in the setting/plot? Cool. If a stranger has one that is more suitable? Cool.

I've not been burned or negatively affected my interactions with strangers in terms of role-play anywhere near often enough to consider restricting who I interact with at this point.
Aardbei Topic Starter

Eternal_Dream wrote:
Aardbei wrote:

I guess my answer isn't accepted then? Because I actually prefer a mix. I shall bow out as I don't know how else to answer since my answer would be out of bounds.

No, it's fine, I just wasn't sure if my OP was understood. I wasn't asking for advice, just posting a question for discussion. Sorry if you felt like I dismissed you. I think that's a fine answer without the context. XD
Juls wrote:
Around an actual physical table - I'd prefer to game with friends.

If we're talking play-by-post over the internet, then the focus is more on the story and I'd lean toward partners who want the same thing from the story that I want. (Often enough, those folks tend to become friends too!)
Venefica wrote:
The majority of my role-plays are with strangers who become acquaintances, and eventually friends over the long-term. I don't make a decision on who I collaborate with writing-wise based on how long I've known them. For me, it more depends on the characters involved, the plot etc. If a friend happens to have a character that works in the setting/plot? Cool. If a stranger has one that is more suitable? Cool.

I've not been burned or negatively affected my interactions with strangers in terms of role-play anywhere near often enough to consider restricting who I interact with at this point.

This actually ended up being my answer as well, after a while. My friends wanted different things than I did so I had to steel my nerves and venture out to find a table that did. Thing I learned very quickly is that strangers don't stay strangers for long if you jive with their vibe, and I now have 3 groups of people I play with semi-regularly.

However, I have seen a lot of people with some pretty negative experiences group-hunting, and still other people who are there for the social interactions with their friends more than the actual game. I'm in it for the plot, so it makes sense where my priorities are, but I'm always curious what the ratio is between these two groups, given all forms of RP are inherently social experiences.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Playing with friends VS strangers

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus