Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Writers block? But only for a specific character?

Like the title suggests, and it sucks. Ya know, when you have writers block but only for one character. I've been trying to start up a few with a character I'm trying to flesh out but can seem to come up with a good starter.

But I'm having no issues with any of my other characters-

Anyone have any tips to help me out? 😅
My advice is to just keep writing anyways. Even if it's bad, you can always go back and change it later. It help get into a productive mindset.
I completely understand. I have a bunch of ideas for a new character but can't seem to get them down in writing. It sucks but just gotta push through.
I've never experienced writers block myself, but I tend to have an issue with choosing from my collection of thoughts.

What I find helps is trying to think about how to engage your partner in things. I think sometimes we can focus too much on our own characters and forget that the other character is a creation of it's own. Instead of thinking about your character, think about the other persons. What are you hoping to accomplish with the post for the other character? What do you want to convey to the other character? How do those things translate into actions and situations your character can make happen?

This helps me narrow down and toss ideas that aren't serving me.
AncientDis wrote:
I've never experienced writers block myself, but I tend to have an issue with choosing from my collection of thoughts.

What I find helps is trying to think about how to engage your partner in things. I think sometimes we can focus too much on our own characters and forget that the other character is a creation of it's own. Instead of thinking about your character, think about the other persons. What are you hoping to accomplish with the post for the other character? What do you want to convey to the other character? How do those things translate into actions and situations your character can make happen?

This helps me narrow down and toss ideas that aren't serving me.
^^^^ that's some good RP advice if I've ever seen one

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Writers block? But only for a specific character?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus