Forums » Smalltalk » are you okay RPR?

(to the tune of Smooth criminal)

RPR are you oaky?
Are you okay RPR?
you been hit by....
You been hit by....
Slow load times.

michael-jackson-dancing-gif-9.gif

just some general concern, just seen a few little issues with the site. this morning it is really bumpy slow loads. made sure it was not me, have a
fre friends stuck on pages threw out the site around 8 ish PST. was not sure where to report so I added humor.
Nah it's just the apocalypse, dw about it. :)

No but seriously it's probably just server maintenance or something with their host. Just wait it out for a few hours.

This is pretty normal all over the internet, but it's when it persists for a day or two that I start to wonder...

It's not just you though.
Masquerade Topic Starter

yes I already did the sanity check after I cleared out my cache and rebooted. modem reboot, checked other pages response times (it needed to be done anyways) at least I feel like I did something before I even had my coffee. lol though for people who are like me are quick to pull out those trouble shooting pistols. it will be okay. lmao
I can't remember offhand what time nightly maintenance is scheduled to run, but it does momentarily kind kill the site's loading. It's also not all that unusual for mystery slow-downs to happen, and I'm among many who'll then have to check if it's just RPR or my own connection acting up. Behind-the-scenes updates to the site can sometimes temporarily slow things down. I can't remember if the site is still on a shared server or not (I think it got moved to have its own?), but if it's shared, activities on the other sites it shares with can slow down things for us. There's been a lot of bot activity recently, too, and it's possible that that was taking a toll. Usually, there's not really anything to be done about slow-downs, and they usually only last a few minutes if they're really bad, maybe an hour or so for lesser, mildly annoying ones. (But if it happens regularly, it can still be helpful to mention since it can still draw attention to persistent issues that could do with more work.)

Anytime you find anything wrong on the site (or at least that doesn't seem quite right to you), so long as the site is still loading well enough to reasonably use, you can send it through the bug report form (under Help > Report a Problem). In cases where the site has become inaccessible, RPR also has a Twitter and a Facebook page that messages can be sent to (not ideal, but it's been done before). Although the RPR Discord is explicitly unofficial, Kim does also occasionally show up there, so that could be another way to reach out if the site is inaccessible or unusable. The thing to keep in mind is that Kim still manages the site alone and sometimes it might be hours before she sees any message, and in cases like site crashes, often won't respond on any individual basis.
Kim Site Admin

Our hosting had some trouble on that night/morning. Eventually they rebooted their servers and it seems to have been pretty normal since. It's always annoying when stuff like that happens.
Quote:
I can't remember offhand what time nightly maintenance is scheduled to run,
I am pleased to be able to say that this has not been a thing since after Operation Audacious Phoenix! :)
Masquerade Topic Starter

yes which is why I was concerned the site is rarely clunky and runs like a champ. which is why I went with oh it must be me response. lol

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » are you okay RPR?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus