Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » Students vs Burglars [18+]

Matthew Smith (played by Semegrex) Topic Starter

"I appreciate people who can do music. I find it amazing that some people can play instruments. How can they remember where to press? Like, in full sized piano, so many buttons to press. I suppose each person has their talent, so one can not know everything.

Matthew took some water from the bottle that was hanging on his belt. "Have you tried some sports as a hobby? If you have good hand and eye coordination, badminton could be worth trying." He asked spontaneously.
"I appreciate people who can do music. I find it amazing that some people can play instruments. How can they remember where to press? Like, in full sized piano, so many buttons to press. I suppose each person has their talent, so one can not know everything.

Matthew took some water from the bottle that was hanging on his belt. "Have you tried some sports as a hobby? If you have good hand and eye coordination, badminton could be worth trying." He asked spontaneously.

"I tried several. I was very into basketball at one point in my life and also volleyball. As a kid I also did gymnastics and a few years ago, I got into roller derby after a brief stint in figure skating. Roller derby was too physical for my liking," Meg replied. "I'm still okay with shooting hoops sometimes for fun or a game of beach volleyball, but that's about it for sports. Right now, besides classes when the semester starts and a job, my main focus is on the band. I really should look into delivering food instead of Starbucks. I hate having a rigid schedule. The idea of turning an app on when I want to work and delivering stuff when I feel like sounds very appealing. It would fit me so much better."

About that time, a black lab trotted up with a stick in its mouth. It stopped short of the pair and dropped the stick on the ground and wagged its tail expectantly.
Matthew Smith (played by Semegrex) Topic Starter

"Surely you have tried out great number of things. I have to give you credit for trying hard" Matthew said. He looked towards the dog with a big smile

"Well, hello there buddy! Where did you popped up? Wanna fetch some stick?" Matthew picked up thenstick, waved it in the air back and forth for a moment to see how eager the dog was. He then tossed the stick along the beach to the direction where nobody was on the line of fire.

Around the same time Aaron was returning to the beach with a plywood box in his hands. The box had hinges in every corner, which provided an opportunity to open all of its sides. He placed it on the sand, opened some hooks and pulled down sides of the box. Inside was some kind of small catapult. It had a tiny basket sized of a wallnut for projectiles. It was powered by a nylon bag full of rocks, which was suppose to pull up the main log holding the basket.
Megan smiled as the dog happily chased after the stick. Instead of coming back, he made his way over to someone else, who happily obliged the dog by launching the stick in another direction, further down the beach away from where the group was sitting.

Aaron arrived a few minutes later with a wooden box. He sat it down and opened it.

"A trebuchet!" Meg exclaimed. "Did you make it for a science class project?"

If anyone seemed confused by the unfamiliar word Meg had used, she clarified. "Sorry, that's a fancy word for catapult."

Further down the beach, the dog's owner approached with a leash. It appeared he lived nearby and the dog had apparently escaped from its yard and had wandered down to the beach. Meg returned her attention to Matthew and Aaron.
Aaron Greenvalley (played by Semegrex) Topic Starter

"Yup, that is a trebuchet indeed. I find catapults are bit boring and have shorter range, even though they seem more complicated. Have you studied history? Im bit surprised you knew this thing. Wanna try?" Aaron said, and picked up some pebbles from nearby. He turned the trebuchet towads the lake, put one tiny stone in a basket and pointed towards a little pin on the side.

"This is my own home creation. My school science project was miniature of a historical waterpump. It was a waterwheel that has a mill connected to the stream, meanwhile it lifts water up on buckets, and pours the water on irrigation system. My mom liked it so much that she put it on her garden. It should still be there, unless it has rotten due to exposure. I did not plan that it would actually operate outdoors, but my mom insisted on placing it by an actual stream. My next home project is shotgun style chu ko nu, but it is not operational yet. Is basically a toy, so I dont plan to go hunting rabbits at night"
"Yup, that is a trebuchet indeed. I find catapults are bit boring and have shorter range, even though they seem more complicated. Have you studied history? Im bit surprised you knew this thing. Wanna try?" Aaron said, and picked up some pebbles from nearby. He turned the trebuchet towads the lake, put one tiny stone in a basket and pointed towards a little pin on the side.

"I played Dungeons and Dragons for a while and it came up. Honestly, I didn't know that a catapult and trebuchet were different," Meg confessed. "I actually thought they were identical. Sure, I'll give it a try."

"This is my own home creation. My school science project was miniature of a historical waterpump. It was a waterwheel that has a mill connected to the stream, meanwhile it lifts water up on buckets, and pours the water on irrigation system. My mom liked it so much that she put it on her garden. It should still be there, unless it has rotten due to exposure. I did not plan that it would actually operate outdoors, but my mom insisted on placing it by an actual stream. My next home project is shotgun style chu ko nu, but it is not operational yet. Is basically a toy, so I dont plan to go hunting rabbits at night"

"That's cool you know how to build stuff like that," Meg said. "That's probably a good thing that you don't go hunting. I don't think that's legal in the city. I've never gotten into doing model building or kits, much less designing and putting something together from scratch like that. I don't know that I would have the patience to complete a project like that."

Meg gave the trebuchet a try. "Maybe the other 2 can use this in their sponge fight. You know, take turns trying to hit each other with their sponge," Meg commented.
The next day... (Mid-afternoon)
Pinecone University, Squirrel Den
108 Marshall Jackson Rd.
Foxlake Appartments

A black Toyota Corolla pulled up to the Foxlake Apartments. The Uber driver parked curbside and popped the trunk. Danny opened the rear door and got out of the back of the car. The driver helped him remove his belongings from the trunk; a laptop bag, his bass guitar in a soft, gigbag style case that had shoulder straps so it could be worn like a backpack, and two suitcases.

Danny slung the laptop bag strap over his shoulder. It went across his chest so that the computer's soft case was hanging off of his hip. Next, he put his arm through the 2 backpack straps for the gigbag of his bass guitar. The instrument was centered on his back with the guitar's neck protruding just above the top of his mop of curly hair. The larger, square suitcase had an extendable handle with rollers on the bottom. After raising the handle and gripping it with his left hand, he picked up the other smaller bag with his free hand and made his way toward the building. The Uber driver got in his car, turned around, and headed off.

Danny had the info. about the apartments in his phone which was shoved in his pocket at the moment, but he had already confirmed he was in the right location before getting out of the car. The card he had taken a picture of that had been mailed to him only showed a single name for the employee contact. Additional information like the manager's name might have been provided in the email, but Danny hadn't bothered to read it. He assumed it was their last name although he was unsure if it was a man or woman. Danny had gone through an apartment hunting service to find the place for him. It had taken care of the arrangements on his behalf. This was his first time to lay eyes on the building he'd call home for at least the next few months.

The building wasn't in the best of shape, but it wasn't exactly run down either although the grass clearly needed mowing. Still, it was the absolute cheapest thing Danny could find. He'd been saving money to fix his car which was still not running and back in Portland parked in his mom's driveway. Danny wanted to take a break from his job of building and updating websites for the semester to focus on classes and had pre-paid the rent for six months including the deposit. He wouldn't have to worry about rent until the next semester if he stuck around.

Instead of putting the money he'd saved toward car repairs, he decided to try attending school out of state. He'd taken the past two semesters off from community college. It was a great time to go back to school since his only friend, Dani Lockhart, had gone off to Europe for a year to study abroad. Given he was basically alone back home, there was no reason not to go off on his own adventure in a strange, new, and unfamiliar place.

Danny made his way down the sidewalk in search of the leasing office. As he rounded the corner, he saw a blonde girl in a Starbucks uniform fumbling with the keys to her apartment.

"Uh, excuse me," Danny said. "I'm looking for the manager.'s office.. I'm a new tenant just moving in and need to check-in and get my keys... I guess..."

Megan King wrote:

"I played Dungeons and Dragons for a while and it came up. Honestly, I didn't know that a catapult and trebuchet were different," Meg confessed. "I actually thought they were identical. Sure, I'll give it a try."

"That's cool you know how to build stuff like that," Meg said. "That's probably a good thing that you don't go hunting. I don't think that's legal in the city. I've never gotten into doing model building or kits, much less designing and putting something together from scratch like that. I don't know that I would have the patience to complete a project like that."

Meg gave the trebuchet a try. "Maybe the other 2 can use this in their sponge fight. You know, take turns trying to hit each other with their sponge," Meg commented.

Little basket swung up, as the bag of rocks pulled up the main beam. The pebble flew into the lake and made a tiny splash as it hit the water. Circular waves radiated from the location of impact, and some small fishes jumped up from the water. Apparently the pebble spooked them. Trebuchet had surprisingly long range, but clearly it could only shoot very small projectiles.

All three gathered around the device, tossing some more stuff into the lake. Matthew was wondering, could it actually break a window, if it would be aimed at the building, but he also knew that it would be better not to try. Windows could be rather expensive to fix, if it actually had enough power. Everyone finished their snacks and eventually said farewells as the sun was starting to set behind the Foxlake. Aaron packed up his box and they all headed back to their apartments.
The next day... (Mid-afternoon)
Pinecone University, Squirrel Den
108 Marshall Jackson Rd.
Foxlake Appartments

Meg had a particularly bad day at the coffee shop where she worked. They were understaffed and overwhelmed and there had been multiple rude customers, mostly due to the longer than normal wait time. She had mentioned quitting her job and switching to food delivery yesterday at the beach when she was talking to Matthew and Aaron. Meg was sorely tempted to call Starbucks and tell her manager she wasn't coming back tomorrow. As she came to her apartment door, she had been so lost in thought she hadn't pulled her keys out of her pocket and tried to dig them out of her pocket.

Danny made his way down the sidewalk in search of the leasing office. As he rounded the corner, he saw a blonde girl in a Starbucks uniform fumbling with the keys to her apartment.

"Uh, excuse me," Danny said. "I'm looking for the manager's office. I'm a new tenant just moving in and need to check-in and get my keys... I guess..."

Meg was slightly startled. "Oh uh, hey," She said looking up to meet his eyes. He was quite a bit taller than she was. She noticed he had suitcases in both hands, a laptop strapped across his chest, and what appeared to be a guitar case on his back.

"Yeah, it's on the other side of the building. Unfortunately, you're the furthest point from it," she said pointing in the direction of the leasing office.

"Thanks," he said, somewhat shyly.

"Um, hey, uh, do you know what unit you are in," Meg asked as she finally found her keys and opened her door. "I'd hate for you to lug all of that stuff all the way across the complex and then have to lug it back if you're apartment is on this side. You're welcome to drop your stuff here at my place. I'm Meg by the way."

She offered her hand out to him but felt a bit dumb as she realized his hands were both full at the moment.
"Um, hey, uh, do you know what unit you are in," Meg asked as she finally found her keys and opened her door. "I'd hate for you to lug all of that stuff all the way across the complex and then have to lug it back if you're apartment is on this side. You're welcome to drop your stuff here at my place. I'm Meg by the way."

She offered her hand out to him but felt a bit dumb as she realized his hands were both full at the moment.

"Oh, right," Danny said quickly setting down the two suitcases. "Uh Danny, Danny Logan. I uh, just moved here from Portland... Oregon. I'm starting school in a few weeks and literally just arrived."

He paused a moment, trying to think what else to say. Dani usually did all the talking between them. Social interactions were not his forte.

"Uh, hey, if you wouldn't mind, uh that would be great, actually," He said quickly. "I'll try to be quick."

When Meg opened her door he picked up the 2 suitcases and lifted them just inside the door. Then he removed his gig bag for his bass guitar from his back, followed by the laptop, and sat them down. After thanking Meg again, he hurried off down the sidewalk and found the leasing office without issue.

A young woman, not much older than he was looked up from behind the desk. "Welcome to Foxlake Apartments," She said warmly. "Can I help you?"

"Uh, yeah. My name's Logan. Uh, Danny Logan. I'm a new tenant. I just literally got here from the airport. I'm here to pick up my apartment keys," He explained.

The woman nodded. "Yes, of course. Just need to see your ID real quick," She said.

Danny nodded, pulled out his wallet, and showed her his driver's license. She nodded in acknowledgment and handed him an envelope.

"It's just right down the walkway there, far end of the building," the receptionist explained. "Would you like me to show you?"

"Nah, I'm good. I already talked to a resident. I think she's my next-door neighbor. I can take it from here," He assured her.

A moment later, he headed back towards Meg's apartment. Sure enough, he had the unit beside hers. He tapped on the door and waited for her to answer.
"You're back," Meg replied. "That was fast!"

"Uh, yeah," Danny said. "Turns out, I'm your new next-door neighbor, so um good call! Thanks for letting me put my stuff in here for a moment. I don't want to be a bother or anything like that. I haven't even seen the inside of my new place yet. I better grab my stuff and get settled in."

Danny wasn't exactly Mr. Social. He had few friends. Actually, one really. Dani Lockhart who was now thousands of miles away from him. She had been the only reason Danny ever went out at all. Left to his own devices, Danny would stay in his apartment all of the time. As long as he had the internet or his phone could get service, he could pretty well get whatever he needed.

Danny was the type of guy that tended to order things online. He was a big fan of delivery services, particularly when it came to food. For other things, he tended to use Amazon. On the rare occasion he chose to get groceries, he tended to order those as well. When he did leave his apartment, it was typical to go to a fast-food restaurant just to get out of his place. Dani often would make him go do things with her for his own good. They used to meet halfway at a gas station between their houses.

Danny wondered if he'd have much reason to leave his new apartment. He noted on his way in that there was a bus stop near the corner of the apartment complex. Perhaps he'd pick Meg's brain later about what there was to do around here. He did wander sometimes when he got bored. There was also an entire campus to explore a few blocks away, but Danny planned to take most of his college courses online if not all of them.

"Sure, uh need a hand with your stuff," Meg asked quickly. She eyed the instrument case.

"Do you play guitar," She asked. That seemed like a stupid question.

"Bass," he said quickly.

"Oh, cool. I play guitar. I'm half of a duo called A Week from Wednesday," She offered. "I'm sort of the John Oates or Art Garfunkle of the group. Ever been in a band?"

"Not really," Danny answered as he began gathering his things. "I just tend to learn songs and play along with MP3s really."

"Cool," Meg remarked as she grabbed his laptop and one of his suitcases. They were only going a few steps next door. Meg wondered if she as overstepping by offering help that wasn't asked for.

Danny didn't seem to object. He stepped out and cut through the grass and onto his new porch. He sat his bass gig bag against the railing as he slipped the key to his new front door into the keyhole.

OOC: Aaron and or Matthew can happen by if you want them to now.

Meg came to stand at the doorway, when he noticed Aaron walking to the courtyard from bike racks. He was wearing a t-shirt, and there seemed to be some yellow stuff around the shirt. Also, his left arm was shaven. It looked really weird. Aaron was actually quite hairy guy. Now his right arm looked normal, but his left arm was all pale and bit reddish. Aaron also looked somewhat exhausted and painfull.

"Hello Meg. Best day ever at work. One arm looks like a Yeti and another like Kim kardashian on a beach without sunscreen". Aaron said with greatly sarcastic tone.

Aaron was so glad to be finally back home. His mind was still spinning around what had happened at the shop. When he had ended his shift, one customer had broken a can of polyurethane foam at the cashier station. It spayed a massive amount of sicky mess everywhere. Cashier got hit, customer buying the stuff got hit, floor and cashier station were thoroughly sprayed. He got his own fair share, as he attemped to do some damage control. He had already changed civil clothes on, so they got hit as well. One older worker finally rushed to the rescue, and started the cleanup process with water spray and some cleaning chemical that smelled very unpleasant. They gave first priority to clean the customer. When the situation was finally in control, foam had partially dried into his hand. It had to be removed with blade, while shaving the arm in the process. His colleague told, that the surface of the foam will dry faster if it is sprayed with water. Wet areas could be cleaned using the stinking chemical. Dried areas could be cut or scraped off. Aaron was amazed how much stuff could such a small looking can have.
"Oh hey," Meg replied. She was still in her Starbucks uniform having not had the chance to change into her normal clothes. Aaron noticed Meg was actually in front of the apartment next to hers. Beside her was a boy Aaron hadn't seen before. He was rather tall, standing over 6 feet with brownish hair and green eyes. He had several pieces of luggage scattered around him and looked like he was about to go inside.

"This is Danny Logan," Meg said quickly. "He literally just arrived. He's my new next-door neighbor. Danny, this is Aaron Greenvalley. He lives here, too. We just met the other day."

It was then that she noticed Aaron's odd appearance. "Good lord," she commented. "What happened to you?"

"Today I found a new exiting product that we sell. Polyurethane foam!! A customer broke one can at the cashier lines and it turned into maniac goo dragon, spinning 360 degrees twice per second, covering everyting in close vincinity. Its like instant whipped cream in a can on steroids, but instead of cream it shoots glue. Once it got dry, my hand had to be shaven to remove it. My boss told that it is normally used in insulating doors and windows."

Aaron turned towards Danny.
"Nice to meet you Danny. Im not usually this weird. Just.. bad timing today. I moved in some days ago, so im kinda new here too"
"Today I found a new exiting product that we sell. Polyurethane foam!! A customer broke one can at the cashier lines and it turned into maniac goo dragon, spinning 360 degrees twice per second, covering everyting in close vincinity. Its like instant whipped cream in a can on steroids, but instead of cream it shoots glue. Once it got dry, my hand had to be shaven to remove it. My boss told that it is normally used in insulating doors and windows."

"You mean spray foam," Meg asked, horrified.

"Yeah, Polyurethane is the name of the actual substance," Danny explained.

"Oh my gosh, you're so lucky you didn't get it in your hair," Meg said cringing.

Aaron turned towards Danny.

"Nice to meet you Danny. Im not usually this weird. Just.. bad timing today. I moved in some days ago, so im kinda new here too"

"Hey man, it's cool. I totally get it," Danny replied.

"Yeah, we're all pretty new here," Meg explained. "I've been in town and at the university a few years, just just got moved in a week ago. I just met Aaron and some of the others that live here yesterday. We were hanging out down by the lake."

"I heard there was a lake in walking distance from the apartments," Danny commented. "I have never even been here before. I used an apartment finding service who took care of everything."

As they spoke, Danny pulled out a key ring and added the new apartment key to it. It had a rubber figurine of Batman's sidekick, Robin the Boy Wonder on it.

"So, what brings you here besides school," Meg asked.

"Well, my best friend Dani got a scholarship to study abroad. I couldn't afford to go. I was attending community college back home in Portland. When I found out, I applied to Pinecone University. Who wouldn't want to live in a town called Squirrel Den?"

"Oh, I see. So he's gone for a year...," Meg started to say before Danny cut her off.

"No, no. She. Her name is actually Danielle," Danny explained. "I'm Daniel. We were Dani and Danny back home. It was like our thing."

"Oh, so you were dating," Meg asked.

"Huh? Oh no, just good friends. We met in junior high. Her last name is Lockhart, mine is Logan. We had nearly identical first names and our last names gave us lockers by each other and we shared the same homeroom and coincidentally she sat in front of me in class. We just kind of clicked."

"So, uh, besides the lake, what else do you Squirreldenions do around here for fun," Danny asked.

"There is a beach and a lake literally on our backyards. Just walk through that passageway, and lay down for tan or dive in. It is rather popular. I have a miniture trebuchet, if you wanna try. And if you are in for sports, my neighbour Matthew can take you to his regular 3 mile morning runs. Im sure there are many more curious persons around here. My choise of activities is moving gadgets made out of wood. I live in A-building, third floor. Matthew lives on your side, but in fourth floor."

Light conversation made Aaron feel much better. Even tough he could work alone with some project for 13 hours in a row, he still needed some social activity as well. He even started to forget how messed up his day had been.

Tall and slim blond haired lady, who he saw on the day before entered the yard. She seemed bit older than other students he had seen before. Her high heels made sharp sound on the stone surface. She looked gorgeous from the viewpoint of a young man. She was carrying some kind of large box, when she suddenly stopped and gave deep look into eyes of Danny and Aaron.

"Greetings gentlemen, could I ask you a little favor? I need to get my box upstairs, and its kinds heavy." She asked.
Danny nodded when Aaron talked about building things. "That's cool that we're so close to lake," He remarked.

About that time, another resident came along carrying a large box. "Greetings gentlemen, could I ask you a little favour? I need to get my box upstairs, and its kinds heavy." She said, while blinking her long eyelashes.

"Uh sure," Danny replied. "I just literally arrived and need to get my stuff in my place. Give me one sec, and I'll be happy to give you a hand, Miss, uh..."

He glanced between Aaron and Meg to see if either of them knew her to make an introduction.
"Oh, I can help you," Meg volunteered. Poor Danny hadn't even seen the inside of his new apartment yet and he'd already been bombarded by three of the residents. She didn't know the newcomer and glanced to see if Aaron might know her.
Sandra Hill (played by Semegrex) Topic Starter

"I'm Sandra. Thank you for your help. I live at the top floor"

Sandra looked slightly disappointed as Meg rushed for the box, but she agreed the assistance. She gave the box to Meg. It was not terribly heavy. Any person could have basically carried it. Meg got a feeling that this woman was either bit lazy or tried to test her charm to make some guys to do the dirty work for her. Aaron look just as clueless of the situation as Danny.

"Is it heavy? Do you need more hands?" Aaron asked.
"I'm Meg. I just moved in about a week ago. Danny just got here, literally," She explained. From her reaction, it was quite clear she wanted one of the boys to help her which is why she had asked. It was unclear if she was hoping a specific one would assist her or if she just wanted one of them to notice her. This became even more apparent when Meg realized the box wasn't even that heavy despite its size.

"Is it heavy? Do you need more hands?" Aaron asked.

"It's not that bad, really, but if you want to help, then sure," Meg replied.

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » Students vs Burglars [18+]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus