Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Anyone else struggle to find groups?

I semi-regularly browse the Groups section, looking for a place where I can just plonk a pre-existing character without much fuss into an existing game and just go. Unfortunately, I often struggle to find places where my characters would fit, and I also struggle to come up with characters specifically for a group's setting that aren't just "one of my existing characters but sci-fi/post-apo/modern/a different species now."

As well, sometimes I find settings I really like, and just struggle to come up with anything new that I could use to play in that setting, even when some groups have fleshed out world maps and species lists. I just draw blanks. I'm not sure what I'm missing exactly...

I wonder if I'm the only person who has this problem?
Nah, I ended up joining a group that wasn't even finished yet.
I've not encountered those specific problems, but I have sometimes found a group and gone 'Oh darn, perfect!' only to find out that it is inactive and hasn't been posted in or updated for years.

In terms of creating new characters, I often enjoy challenging myself by asking 'what have I not played yet / in a long while' and going from there, which is the same method I try to apply to gaming in general.
Aardbei Topic Starter

FadedTapestry wrote:
I've not encountered those specific problems, but I have sometimes found a group and gone 'Oh darn, perfect!' only to find out that it is inactive and hasn't been posted in or updated for years.

In terms of creating new characters, I often enjoy challenging myself by asking 'what have I not played yet / in a long while' and going from there, which is the same method I try to apply to gaming in general.

Oh I have that issue too. I feel a bit guilty because my own group is that now...

The group that got me to join the site ended up being inactive as well. The other issue is that sometimes, a group will be made that fits the needs of some of my characters, but then it will have rules against the style of character allowed. (I've seen "no anime" a number of times and like, my style is pretty close to that? So that just makes me nope away...)

With characters, I usually just want to play the ones I like, and have barely gotten the chance to really. I might feel differently once I've actually gotten to complete, or at least get reasonably far into exploring, a character's story.
MsWidow wrote:
Nah, I ended up joining a group that wasn't even finished yet.

How did it work out?
I did the first month or so I was here, so I made my own for the niche I am interested in.
Aardbei Topic Starter

Dawnia wrote:
I did the first month or so I was here, so I made my own for the niche I am interested in.

From what I've seen, it's less niche around here than you think. :) I hope your group thrives.
I tend to find interesting but old and dead groups, or tiny ones with promise that haven't really even started/died before they got started. T_T

That said, I am a bit intimidated by groups - in that I'm never sure that I'd be able to reply frequently enough to be involved. I've joined some in the past and made clear that I could only post 2-3 times a week due to work/personal life, and gotten kicked while adhering to that... Kind of makes me skeptical of trying again, unfortunately.
Not sure if my experience is a real big struggle since we got to respect people's preferences. I either tend to get interested in plots then figure out that there is a age restriction, no anime, or inactive for a couple years.
Aardbei wrote:
Dawnia wrote:

From what I've seen, it's less niche around here than you think. :) I hope your group thrives.

It's pretty niche since after weeks of searching and checking out and even joining a few groups, I couldn't find a group that specifically dealt with just the parameters I like. And yeah, it's going pretty good. :)
I came back after a long hiatus, just out of curiosity. I wasn't expecting to find any new groups for my characters and those that I was a member of years ago were dead. But after a short while, I found an amazing group and a friend I use to write with who was involved in other groups so I joined the ones he was a member of. The writers in these groups are fantastic storytellers.

All I can suggest is to keep looking or advertise that group you have to see if anyone's interested. :)
Aardbei Topic Starter

Astrobeans wrote:
Not sure if my experience is a real big struggle since we got to respect people's preferences. I either tend to get interested in plots then figure out that there is a age restriction, no anime, or inactive for a couple years.

The "no anime" thing has actually shied me away from a few groups on here that I suspect are all created by the same person... My art style is very stylized and I do not like the look of realistic characters. It is deeply frustrating but I guess they're going for a style, they just seem a bit stringent from my perspective.
Darkfeatures wrote:
I came back after a long hiatus, just out of curiosity. I wasn't expecting to find any new groups for my characters and those that I was a member of years ago were dead. But after a short while, I found an amazing group and a friend I use to write with who was involved in other groups so I joined the ones he was a member of. The writers in these groups are fantastic storytellers.

All I can suggest is to keep looking or advertise that group you have to see if anyone's interested. :)

If I really had the energy to maintain it, I would just rework it. I think it has a niche, but running a group is a bit more activity than just replying to posts.

I am in the unfortunate circumstance of having some pretty ambitious ideas for it, and just no time or energy, ever...

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Anyone else struggle to find groups?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus