Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » About Music in Roleplays.

So, I've been stuck on this for a while.

If I have one of my characters sing a song, or a band I made do the same thing, could I use music that already exists, using artists that sound similar for consistency? I did this once and got absolutely destroyed for not using something original. I also gave credit to the artists whose songs I used.

Is this some sort of taboo in roleplaying, or is the previous community restricting my creativity?

I know somebody's gonna ask, and no, using music in roleplays was NOT against the site's TOS.
Viewing the situation, I said that the previous community was restricting your creativity. Though some do view it as taboo (haven't met anyone who thinks it is taboo), others are quite fine with it.
Luscinioide

wh....what? did they want you to record your own entire song, mix it, and release it just for the sake of one rp post? that's whack lmfao, like brb let me go rent the recording studio rq before i send you my post

anyways no that's dumb. my favorite partners have been the ones who send me music to play with their post. character turns on a mixtape in the car? you better give me something to play. horror movie-esque chase scene? you better give me some good horror ost. travel montage? i want travel music. in fact i will be DISAPPOINTED if you don't
Anakisuto Topic Starter

I have some good chase-esque music, I can send it to you. I know you weren't asking for it, but that's my thing.
yeah like the ONLY problem i could ever see with doing that would be realistic consistency. a three-lady garage band on zero dollars is not going to be able to produce the same auto-tune studio sound as what's found on the radio, even if they are a cover band.

sidenote: cover bands! your character doesn't have to claim their music is original just to be a musician. having a character claim some real life person's music as their own could feel a bit skivvy, like the answer here isn't to ~produce your own music~ but instead to understand how musicians IRL operate, all the music they give credit to as having inspired their sounds, et c.

that all goes out the window if your character is already a published and famous musician, of course. then i guess i'd only be wary of real-person-fic in disguise. like i wouldn't disrespect bob dylan like that.
Luscinioide

Anakisuto wrote:
I have some good chase-esque music, I can send it to you. I know you weren't asking for it, but that's my thing.

perhaps not directly, but the implication was indeed there, bring it on
Anakisuto Topic Starter

Luscinioide

Anakisuto wrote:
Alright, now you actually asked for it!

delightful, i shall add these to my collection
Anakisuto Topic Starter

Which was your favorite?
Luscinioide

wrnuseR.png
cat-cat-vibing.gif
Pff. There are times I think the choice of music used in such cases seems a bit weird, but nah, if you're not claiming to have created it and not making money off it, there's no issue and the folks making a big fuss out of it are jsut being self-righteous jerks. I'd argue that using a photo or recording of a real person as a reference for one's own character (like face claims and voice claims) is worse, and in most cases there's not really anything objectively wrong with that, either.
I mean I once did a digimon RP where I included (the original Japanese) digimon digivolution music whenever my character digivolved so...

But honestly, if all you're doing is posting a link to a youtube video or a song on spotify or something, I don't think anyone can complain. Unless you're linking to something illicit or offensive, there's not really any legitimate moral objection anyone can make over a link. And if someone doesn't like it, they can just ignore said link.
Anakisuto wrote:
So, I've been stuck on this for a while.

If I have one of my characters sing a song, or a band I made do the same thing, could I use music that already exists, using artists that sound similar for consistency? I did this once and got absolutely destroyed for not using something original. I also gave credit to the artists whose songs I used.

Is this some sort of taboo in roleplaying, or is the previous community restricting my creativity?

I know somebody's gonna ask, and no, using music in roleplays was NOT against the site's TOS.

Unless you're writing with someone with the intention of turning the collaboration into some sort of novelization, or something else you might try to publish and potentially profit from, I cannot think of any reason why you would need to use original music.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » About Music in Roleplays.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus