Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » When your partners do 5-6 actions in a single post

Does anyone else find this really difficult to keep up with? I end up feeling like I need to address every single thing they've done while also feeling like they've blown past my opportunities to react.

I don't know if this is a "me" problem or if other people might also struggle with this?
I just read something on this when I was trying to figure out the best pace for an RP. There was some interesting commentary in this thread about this sort of thing. Personally, 5-6 actions is a bit much to put into a single post. I tend to do a little overlap with the previous post as I respond to things, then take it a bit further with a couple things. Maybe you should discuss the issue with your writing partner?
Depends.

I have actually, overanalyzed this for myself, because I have different rp partners with different styles, and my brain just does that when bored. So this may or may not apply to others.

Generally: You don't need to address everything they did in their post. But if you WANT to, because they're doing meaningful things - communicate with your partner to slow down so you can also interact meaningfully.

1. communicate with your writing partners if they're doing something that hurts your enjoyment of the rp. RP is collaborative art! there's no right or wrong, but there is compatibility and compromise.

2. how much a character is doing in a post should depend on the scene, there is no one size fits all.
e.g. you wouldn't break up a monologue post, but dialogue scenes should be shorter to support the back and forth.

3. you don't need to address every thing that happens.
I generally have a few approaches to a post with multiple actions:
Character 1 is talking while they:
- take a pop out of the fridge
- pass the pop to Character 2
- hop up to sit on table
- their phone pings
- they check the message
- they grimace at the message

Character 2's response: Continuation.. no overlap
- frown at character 1's grimace
- take a drink to give character 1 time to process (implies they took the offered pop)
- stand up to take the phone
- read the message
- remark on how the message relates to something character 1 said earlier

Alt Character 2's response: simultaneous with overlap
- took the drink when offered, but just put it down next to them
- stand and begin to object to Character 1 sitting on the table
- is interrupted by the pinging phone
- read the message next to character 1
- smiling at the message right next to character 1's grimace

My only struggle with overlapping responses is when character 1 then wants to continue a conversation in the middle of that post (e.g. character 1 wants to argue and justify why they should sit on the table when char 2 objects). if I was playing char 1, I would just let it go, make the message more important to the character.

Alt Character 2's response: simultaneous.. no overlap
- is busy doing their own thing, didn't notice the drink placed next to them
- tune out of character 1's lecture, but could hear the voice
- realize the room is quiet
- turn around to see character 1 grimacing at their phone
- ask for context

What character 2's response does not need to do:
- notice char 1 take a pop out of the fridge (unless it matters)
- accept or reject the the offered pop (unless it matters)
- comment on char 1 hopping up to sit on table (unless it matters)
- react to the phone ping (unless it matters)
- watch char 1 check the message (unless it matters)
- interpret char 1's grimace at the message (unless it matters)

I say 'unless it matters' because.. MOST OF THE TIME.. these actions don't have to be acknowledged. I don't acknowledge consciously when my partner is idly putting their hair up while we talk, but i'll write out my character doing it, so they're not standing there perfectly still while they're talking. 6 posts down the line, maybe it matters that their hair is up, it'd be cool that it was established - magic of rp!

Obviously the character actions are minor things in the example, but honestly, I apply the same thing for larger actions.
So I’ve actually been on both sides of this scale, and have gone through an entire posting change because of it.

I’ve been in situations where I’m playing a character that needs to be able to react to multiple things in a post, and I’ve been the character doing multiple things in a post. What I’ve come to discover is the success or failure of this comes from the bonds between partners, if you will, and to some degree, the chemistry.

When you have an honest and very open line of communication between two partners, this can work very well because you can talk about it, re-examine, bounce ideas, really whatever you need to do to put it together and make it work. If you kind of think along the same lines, multiple reaction posts tend to work better because it can be turned over between the two. This is the case of my current RP partner where we do multiple things in one post, but it still all flows together very well. I’ve also had partners where this does not work at all.

However, on the other hand, if you’re constantly feeling like there’s not enough room for reaction, or you’re not understanding your partner, then maybe it’s time to re-revaluate how well you’re working together. This may also not even be something the partner is aware of, and may simply be their posting style. RP should not be a stressful thing for anyone, but perhaps a simple conversation about style could be the key to success here!

Another point, to just add to Silent’s, is that you don’t have to react to every single thing, I agree. Some things don’t actually need one, either. Sometimes they put it in there because it’s their reaction to something, or a subtle thing they only mean to let you know, or even that their character just needs something to do in the middle of a scene.

All in all, I definitely think a conversation about speed and context could be helpful with you and your partner. I bet they’d be open to it!

Good luck!
Aardbei Topic Starter

TheCaffeineQueen wrote:
So I’ve actually been on both sides of this scale, and have gone through an entire posting change because of it.

I’ve been in situations where I’m playing a character that needs to be able to react to multiple things in a post, and I’ve been the character doing multiple things in a post. What I’ve come to discover is the success or failure of this comes from the bonds between partners, if you will, and to some degree, the chemistry.

When you have an honest and very open line of communication between two partners, this can work very well because you can talk about it, re-examine, bounce ideas, really whatever you need to do to put it together and make it work. If you kind of think along the same lines, multiple reaction posts tend to work better because it can be turned over between the two. This is the case of my current RP partner where we do multiple things in one post, but it still all flows together very well. I’ve also had partners where this does not work at all.

However, on the other hand, if you’re constantly feeling like there’s not enough room for reaction, or you’re not understanding your partner, then maybe it’s time to re-revaluate how well you’re working together. This may also not even be something the partner is aware of, and may simply be their posting style. RP should not be a stressful thing for anyone, but perhaps a simple conversation about style could be the key to success here!

Another point, to just add to Silent’s, is that you don’t have to react to every single thing, I agree. Some things don’t actually need one, either. Sometimes they put it in there because it’s their reaction to something, or a subtle thing they only mean to let you know, or even that their character just needs something to do in the middle of a scene.

All in all, I definitely think a conversation about speed and context could be helpful with you and your partner. I bet they’d be open to it!

Good luck!

To be honest, I have this issue with most people, so I've thought it was a "me" problem for a while.
silentruth wrote:
Depends.

I have actually, overanalyzed this for myself, because I have different rp partners with different styles, and my brain just does that when bored. So this may or may not apply to others.

Generally: You don't need to address everything they did in their post. But if you WANT to, because they're doing meaningful things - communicate with your partner to slow down so you can also interact meaningfully.

1. communicate with your writing partners if they're doing something that hurts your enjoyment of the rp. RP is collaborative art! there's no right or wrong, but there is compatibility and compromise.

2. how much a character is doing in a post should depend on the scene, there is no one size fits all.
e.g. you wouldn't break up a monologue post, but dialogue scenes should be shorter to support the back and forth.

3. you don't need to address every thing that happens.
I generally have a few approaches to a post with multiple actions:
Character 1 is talking while they:
- take a pop out of the fridge
- pass the pop to Character 2
- hop up to sit on table
- their phone pings
- they check the message
- they grimace at the message

Character 2's response: Continuation.. no overlap
- frown at character 1's grimace
- take a drink to give character 1 time to process (implies they took the offered pop)
- stand up to take the phone
- read the message
- remark on how the message relates to something character 1 said earlier

Alt Character 2's response: simultaneous with overlap
- took the drink when offered, but just put it down next to them
- stand and begin to object to Character 1 sitting on the table
- is interrupted by the pinging phone
- read the message next to character 1
- smiling at the message right next to character 1's grimace

My only struggle with overlapping responses is when character 1 then wants to continue a conversation in the middle of that post (e.g. character 1 wants to argue and justify why they should sit on the table when char 2 objects). if I was playing char 1, I would just let it go, make the message more important to the character.

Alt Character 2's response: simultaneous.. no overlap
- is busy doing their own thing, didn't notice the drink placed next to them
- tune out of character 1's lecture, but could hear the voice
- realize the room is quiet
- turn around to see character 1 grimacing at their phone
- ask for context

What character 2's response does not need to do:
- notice char 1 take a pop out of the fridge (unless it matters)
- accept or reject the the offered pop (unless it matters)
- comment on char 1 hopping up to sit on table (unless it matters)
- react to the phone ping (unless it matters)
- watch char 1 check the message (unless it matters)
- interpret char 1's grimace at the message (unless it matters)

I say 'unless it matters' because.. MOST OF THE TIME.. these actions don't have to be acknowledged. I don't acknowledge consciously when my partner is idly putting their hair up while we talk, but i'll write out my character doing it, so they're not standing there perfectly still while they're talking. 6 posts down the line, maybe it matters that their hair is up, it'd be cool that it was established - magic of rp!

Obviously the character actions are minor things in the example, but honestly, I apply the same thing for larger actions.

This is pretty good advice, I think. I generally write like this by myself but it's difficult to always know what a partner considers important.
yeah, that's why i've been trying to 'gamify' the scene writing

so if there are five actions you want your character to take, you can find a way to loop those in organically with any possible reaction the other character could do

it gives the other writer/s a chance to help build the branch of dialogue and action, weaving input and answer into something cohesive that reads smoother

we've got it down so far to helpful collapse code and option choosing, not unlike a video game rpg dialgue tree or action choice menu, and while it does take a little extra effort to get down in the post, the payoff is g r e a t

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » When your partners do 5-6 actions in a single post

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus