Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » I've got a kitty!!

Awwww so adorable! I bet she loves that bed!

As for litter, we keep ours downstairs in a corner of the laundry room. I could never imagine putting it in the middle of the house, for us that would stink terribly! Maybe it's your problem? We always have our litterbox in a place that's kinda tucked away but easily accessible.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

CelestinaGrey wrote:
Awwww so adorable! I bet she loves that bed!

As for litter, we keep ours downstairs in a corner of the laundry room. I could never imagine putting it in the middle of the house, for us that would stink terribly! Maybe it's your problem? We always have our litterbox in a place that's kinda tucked away but easily accessible.

I have a studio apartment that's rather wide and open. I've had litterboxes in corners before and it was worse.

I think the reason it stank was because I got this litterbox from a friend with used litter. It was still clean mostly, but she has a male and a female cat, so the smell was probably from them. I threw the old litter out, scrubbed the box with bleachwater, rinsed it thoroughly and put fresh litter in it (it's scented nicely). Now I don't smell anything anymore. :D

http://www.twitvid.com/KFHCD

She's absolutely CRAZY about catmilk. XD

Basket stuffs! Full screen if you've trouble seeing things.

http://www.twitvid.com/32Z4F

http://www.twitvid.com/WWUFP

2011-09-16%2B21.26.20.jpg
I HAS DRAMA KITTY. OMGZ.

2011-09-16%2B21.26.31.jpg

2011-09-16%2B21.27.40.jpg

2011-09-16%2B21.27.55.jpg

http://www.twitvid.com/SQ3E8

New toy!

2011-09-17%2B12.09.15.jpg

2011-09-17%2B18.31.59.jpg

I went and bought her an automatic water dispenser, it's very useful!!

Last night Dette came and slept with me in the bed for the first time since I got her. :D It was so cute!

Today she got her first shot and another checkup. She's at 1.1kgs now (she was 0.76kg before) and she's all healthy and well. The vet thinks she might be closer to 11-12 weeks rather than 9, because she's losing a couple of her baby teeth already. She's flea-free and although she didn't like the shot, she's been nice and calm and let the vet do everything without a fuss. She said 'this is a very chilled out kitten!' Yay kitten. <3

2011-09-23%2B16.41.34.jpg

"I'm a bottle of iced tea, blending in perfectly."
Watch out; our cat has a love of boxes, bags, and laundry baskets. He even tries to get in shoeboxes that are way too small for him. xD

And yay for how well behaved she is! :D
Minerva

On the idea of stray tuxes being friends, I have one to throw into the mix. I gotta find a pic. Her name is Kratos. Long story behind her, too. She was one of two that wandered parentless out of the woods when their eyes were fresh open and we kept 'em.

Supercute though.
... I feel a sudden, burning need to go find one of my cats. Goddamn.
Minerva

And here's my formerly-stray tux! Our kitties should be friends. <3

Kinda an old pic, need a new one. She's about a year old now.

2jdqkua.jpg

CelestinaGrey wrote:
Watch out; our cat has a love of boxes, bags, and laundry baskets. He even tries to get in shoeboxes that are way too small for him. xD

And yay for how well behaved she is! :D

She has her very own Cornflakes fortress! It's the ideal hiding place to hunt those pesky bouncy balls from.
Minerva wrote:
And here's my formerly-stray tux! Our kitties should be friends. <3

Kinda an old pic, need a new one. She's about a year old now.

2jdqkua.jpg

Dawwwr!! We should totally have a Skype get-together with our cats. XD
Minerva

Haha, sadly my shoddy net won't let me effectively skype.

Kratos was an interesting story all her own.

I was heartbroken over the abrupt death of my dog. I had never been a dog person. They usually hated me, and I had always been a cat person; my mother, god rest her soul, was deathly allergic though so I could never have one. But when my husband brought home a puppy from the litter of his parent's dog, I did what I could and I fell in love. I nursed him through parvo at home, which had painfully high mortality rates even with vets, and our podunk town had none open on the weekends. He crapped blood all weekend. He looked at me so pathetically and afraid. I hand-cradled pedialyte up to his mouth to keep him hydrated. I did EVERYTHING for that dog. But he was a chow-pit mix, far too strong for his own good, perpetually breaking his chain. We got him a thick chain from lowes, a choker chain, everything. He broke it. We live near a highway, he wandered into it, and he met a semi. I was sobbing over it. Only dog I ever loved.

About two weeks later, I looked up and yelled, "KITTY!" because two tiny kittens were trying to walk over the banister of our front porch. My husband was confused, thinking I was pointing at the TV in front of the window before he noticed them. I was preparing to go to work but I left out a can of the dog's old food. I know dog food doesn't have taurine for cats, but it was better than them starving. Derek said to not be surprised if they weren't there when I got home.

I got home. They were still there. Winter was coming early, and fiercely last year. I wanted to take them inside. I'm a bleeding heart like that. (It's so bad that when we found a nest of baby mice, I got upset at Derek for throwing them into the freezing cold undefended, so bad he tried to go back to find them but something had already eaten them; we argued over disease, but my right-to-life approach and arguments over how we could handle them diffused him) But no matter what precautions we took, they wouldn't stay in the box, and kept wanting to get into everything. We opted to put them back outside. At that point their temporary names were 'spots' and 'blackie'.

So we put them out. 'Blackie' persistantly followed our voices around the house, 'spots' close at her heels but not near as daring to do what Blackie continued to do. As we laid down in bed, we heard a cacophony alongside us. The next thing we knew, a kitten small enough to fit in my hand was sitting on top of my air conditioner, meowing to come in, over eight feet above the ground. She had scaled a piece of plywood with her claws, ran along its less than half inch length, grappled onto a power cord, clambored up, found the power box, and leapt like three feet onto the air conditioner. Laughing, we said, "Damn, Kratos!" Our AC was faulty and we were worried about it falling out and crushing them, so we brought them in. From that point forward, Kratos was the black one's name. We later discovered she was a she, but that was okay. She's still Kratos.

They sat the entire first night in my lap, Calypso (spots) being all too comfortable and domesticated anywhere, and Kratos acting like a guard cat.

She's kept up that demeanor. My daughter, embarassingly, had a habit around that time of stripping naked in the wee hours of the morning, sneaking out of her bedroom, managing to unlock the front door and running naked across the street (thankfully rural, but still dangerous) to her grandpa's house. Kratos learned this habit and started biting me on the toe to wake me up when she was on the way out, running to the door and pointing like a hunting dog to the miscreant toddler.

I love these dang cats. Calypso has become a complete lover, beyond any affectionate cat I have ever seen and, while Kratos is more individualistic, she feels like a guardian. Being a pagan, it's joked that I'm a witch that finally found my black cat familiar.

Oh wow Minvera! (How did I miss that post?!) That is so awesome on so many levels!! I hope Dette becomes just as amazing. <3

She's grown so much too, it's unbelievable. I visited my parents yesterday and brought her with me (she's like a handbag cat, can go anywhere with me and behaves wonderfully. XD )

My parents had the fireplace going and the family dog was all happy to see her. Unfortunately, she doesn't like him much still. :( As long as he keeps is distance, it's fine though.

2011-10-29%2B23.42.56.jpg

2011-10-29%2B23.52.11.jpg
She'll probably get used to him in time (I hope!)

It took a while for Tabasco to get used to our dog's want to play, and in turn for Mayling to get used to Tabasco living in our house. As long as they get enough exposure to each other (and Dette figures out that the dog won't hurt/eat her), those two will probably end up being bestest buddies. :3

Copper_Dragon wrote:
She'll probably get used to him in time (I hope!)

It took a while for Tabasco to get used to our dog's want to play, and in turn for Mayling to get used to Tabasco living in our house. As long as they get enough exposure to each other (and Dette figures out that the dog won't hurt/eat her), those two will probably end up being bestest buddies. :3

I live by myself though, so the dog isn't around her 24/7. :( I do bring her with me to my parents' house often though (my mom loves her), and I think her main issue is that he's so big. She's never been around another animal of his size before. So when she grows up and he doesn't get too excited, I think they'll work out eventually :) She doesn't seek confrontation with him or anything!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » I've got a kitty!!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus