Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Block (or rather Hide) certain characters?

I'd like to be able to block certain characters (I know you can do this with anonymous characters, but I want to do this with non-anonymous characters), because some characters are from a fandom (that's very popular currently) that I don't want to view content of, but the people are really nice and I'm even friends with some!

Is there a way to maybe make a way to Block, or rather in this case, Hide certain characters for comfort reasons, but still keep the users unblocked and visible?
I would like this ability too! Sadly I don’t know if such a thing exists. Also, how do you block anon characters?
I'd like this too
PK-Lucas Topic Starter

Sunstruck wrote:
I would like this ability too! Sadly I don’t know if such a thing exists. Also, how do you block anon characters?

Just go to their profile and hit block on the top menu bar thing!! :)
PK-Lucas wrote:
Sunstruck wrote:

Just go to their profile and hit block on the top menu bar thing!! :)

Cool!!!! Thank you!!!!
From my understanding, if you block an anon character, you will actually block the person who created it? Just without knowing who it is, so it's not just the character being blocked?

I do like the idea to at least hide characters
PK-Lucas Topic Starter

Echo wrote:
From my understanding, if you block an anon character, you will actually block the person who created it? Just without knowing who it is, so it's not just the character being blocked?

Not in my experience, when I was was having troubles with a user, they had anonymous characters (and you could clearly tell it was them) and I had to block each individual character despite having the user themself blocked.
PK-Lucas wrote:
Echo wrote:

Not in my experience, when I was was having troubles with a user, they had anonymous characters (and you could clearly tell it was them) and I had to block each individual character despite having the user themself blocked.

Oh.. well that seems like a huge problem then.. a massive loop hole, kinda concerning if that's the case :c
Maybe it's just so you can't block someone to see if an anonymous character is theirs and then unblock them right after?
Jooters wrote:
Maybe it's just so you can't block someone to see if an anonymous character is theirs and then unblock them right after?

I think so, but that's why I thought blocking an anon character would automatically block the account of the owner, even if you can't see it. Though I'm not sure, I would love to hear an answer on that from Kim or anyone who might know for sure
Kim Site Admin

Blocking an anonymous character prevents the owner of that character, or any of their other characters, from contacting you directly via PM, responding to a forum topic that you started, leaving you a kudos, sending you a gift, going to your user profile, etc.

HOWEVER, it will not hide that person's other characters on the forums. This is indeed so that it isn't an easy loophole to determine the owner of someone's anonymous character, or all the rest of their anon characters. A malicious person could just block your anon character, go to your profile/the forums, confirm their guess, remove the block, and then tell everyone what they learned, and there would be no taking it back once it was out of the bag.

Back to the original topic -- are those characters just posting in LFRP all the time? What's the context in which you're seeing them?
PK-Lucas Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Blocking an anonymous character prevents the owner of that character, or any of their other characters, from contacting you directly via PM, responding to a forum topic that you started, leaving you a kudos, sending you a gift, going to your user profile, etc.

HOWEVER, it will not hide that person's other characters on the forums. This is indeed so that it isn't an easy loophole to determine the owner of someone's anonymous character, or all the rest of their anon characters. A malicious person could just block your anon character, go to your profile/the forums, confirm their guess, remove the block, and then tell everyone what they learned, and there would be no taking it back once it was out of the bag.

Back to the original topic -- are those characters just posting in LFRP all the time? What's the context in which you're seeing them?

If it's alright, could I PM the response instead? :)
Kim Site Admin

Sure.
Kim Site Admin

While I'm waiting on that, for other people watching this, there are a bunch of existing features that may have roughly the effects you're looking for:

You can unwatch specific friend's characters here: https://www.rprepository.com/settings/friends

If one of your characters has an individual relationship with one of theirs, especially if that character is anonymous, you can go to your character, go to "YOUR CHARACTER'S relationships" and then uncheck the "watch" box next to that character that they have a relationship with whom you no longer want to get homepage notifs about.

You can exclude IC forum posts that you're not subscribed to, even if your friends are posting in them with their charas, here: https://www.rprepository.com/settings/personalnotifications (Under Communications and Conversations, find "IC Forum Posts (That I'm not subscribed to)

You can hide Find RP results that you aren't interested in by clicking the X on their top right and choosing either "Hide this topic" or "Hide all RPs from this member/character"

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Block (or rather Hide) certain characters?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus