Skip to main content

Forums » Looking for RP » Something New! VIDEO RP! (closed)

This Looking For RP topic is marked as closed, meaning it is no longer seeking new players.

So I've been talking with LordFantastic. He has heard of video RPs.. We're thinking sci-fi. I'm going to transform my living room into a ship's cabin. I have an alien mask that I'll use, and some other stuff.. Like a sound effects app and I should be able to make it look like Ive got a control panel or two.

The hard part is coming up with a medium. Does google hangouts have a decent webcam option? You all probably know better than me. Of course we could be brave and go Justin TV or something like that and have a bunch of people watching.

As far as attacks and outcomes of things, I suggest we use the dice feature on this site. Say someone was attacking. The first roll is for attack, the defending player rolls next and the outcome is based on the disparity between the two die. So if the defending player only rolls a 1 and the attacker rolled a 6, its like a real strong hit.

I dunno, it sounds fun to me. Anyone else?
Kim Site Admin

So this is kinda like long-distance LARPing? That's pretty cool. I love costumes and RP arts & crafts.

Google Hangouts does indeed handle webcam pretty well, and is the only free option I have used that allows for more than two people to video chat at once without a MAJOR loss in video/audio quality. I don't think it's a bad option to try.
Pantrane Topic Starter

Yeah! I first saw the idea on another board and I was like hmmm... Over a few days, the idea grew on me and I think it has some potential.
Kim wrote:
So this is kinda like long-distance LARPing? That's pretty cool. I love costumes and RP arts & crafts.

Google Hangouts does indeed handle webcam pretty well, and is the only free option I have used that allows for more than two people to video chat at once without a MAJOR loss in video/audio quality. I don't think it's a bad option to try.

I would say that Skype is just as good as Hangouts. But yeah, it's not free once you're in a group. Costs to have a Premium Membership. Which /can/ be worth it if you use it enough. But still... most people that I know don't use the Premium stuff because it's not free and when they do get it they make a point of using it as much as possible... for the month or so they have it.
lyingsmile15 wrote:
I would say that Skype is just as good as Hangouts. But yeah, it's not free once you're in a group. Costs to have a Premium Membership. Which /can/ be worth it if you use it enough. But still... most people that I know don't use the Premium stuff because it's not free and when they do get it they make a point of using it as much as possible... for the month or so they have it.

After Thought: as long as you have one person in your group call in Skype that has Premium, everyone can use video. But if they're not online or not in the call, you can't. Which is why people like Hangouts because you can all go in and out without worrying about whether or not the person with Premium is online.
Google > Microskype.

Hangouts is free but in exchange I guess we sell our souls/privacy lol
Pantrane Topic Starter

My soul is long gone.. lol. Hangouts it is.. Thanks for the input.
That's assuming we have privacy to start with in this digital age. Pretty much everything we do on our computers isn't private anymore. Besides, I'm sure the NRA will get a kick out of watching some people LARPing.
Pantrane Topic Starter

I never LARPed before.. lol. Not technically.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

This sounds really awesome. Would be great for any kind of scifi RP that involves multiple ships and their pilots/captains :D
Pantrane wrote:

I've never LARPed before myself. Unless running around with swords as a child and pretending to fight dragons with my siblings is LARPing.
Pantrane Topic Starter

Yeah true! I'm not going to rush into this. Sounds like hangouts is the plan. Just let the thought of it sink into your heads for a bit and see how you feel. Maybe gather some equipment. I need to do lighting tests and such. lol. And I need to make a robe. I'm thinking, comforter.. lol
I'm too shy to video call with people. So I can't join. But it sounds like it'll be fun. Maybe I'll ask to watch. XD
Pantrane Topic Starter

Yeah, we should make it open to watchers. I think we'll need to come up with some ship stats? But maybe just a well written profile will work. I take the simple approach. Leave it up to the dice.. Better yet, negotiate.

I'm pretty shy about video calling too, but I'll have a mask and a comforter robe and I'll have green lights going and it should help me get into character.
Pantrane Topic Starter

lyingsmile15 wrote:
Pantrane wrote:

I've never LARPed before myself. Unless running around with swords as a child and pretending to fight dragons with my siblings is LARPing.

lol
lyingsmile15 wrote:
That's assuming we have privacy to start with in this digital age. Pretty much everything we do on our computers isn't private anymore. Besides, I'm sure the NRA will get a kick out of watching some people LARPing.

NSA. The NRA is the National Rifle Association. ;)
Novalyyn wrote:
lyingsmile15 wrote:

NSA. The NRA is the National Rifle Association. ;)

*facepalm* wow. I was tired.

You are on: Forums » Looking for RP » Something New! VIDEO RP! (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus