Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Where do you work?

I don't think I've started or seen this topic as of yet. If this has already been posted, feel free to lock, ignore, or delete this. I'll start:

At the moment I am unemployed, but has been feverishly dropping off job applications when I'm not on rpr. I tallied everywhere that I've dropped app's off at, and it's getting into the 40s now. Time to do some phone calls.
Kim Site Admin

This is going to come as a serious shock so hold onto your hats... I work as a freelance web designer and developer. ;)

I have some health issues that mean working in an office for more than a few days tends to make me really sick, and after ending up bedridden for months, not just once but several times, after trying to work in an office I realized that I was going to have to find a way to craft my own work environment. I've spent the last several years building up my business to the point where it will support me, but things have always been really tight. Unpleasantly and sometimes scarily so. Last year was the first that was more or less stable, and this year has shown signs of marked improvement already. There's a definite trend toward getting better that is speeding up. I really hope it continues and I've been working my butt off to make sure it does. All in all, I feel pretty good about this year. I wish the same kind of turn around for you. :)

I have this dream wherein the RPR is my only job. It's the thing that I most love and am most passionate about. I hope some day it comes true!
Bonebag Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
T...I've spent the last several years building up my business to the point where it will support me, but things have always been really tight. Unpleasantly and sometimes scarily so. Last year was the first that was more or less stable, and this year has shown signs of marked improvement already. There's a definite trend toward getting better that is speeding up. I really hope it continues and I've been working my butt off to make sure it does. All in all, I feel pretty good about this year. I wish the same kind of turn around for you. :)

I had the interesting (and pretty fun, as it turned out) experience of working in a screenprinter's and apparel store for a while in a gig I got through a state-sponsored work force program. He bought the building from a guy who's business wasn't doing so hot (it used to sporting goods joint), and happened across some nice used equipment for screenprinting and also some engraving and woodworking. It was pretty fun, I learned some skills I wouldn't have had the opportunity to get elsewhere - I mean, I'm a computer hardware nut, where the [radio edit] would I learn how to assemble trophies and engrave glass? Sadly, he went under a few months ago, but that's just how most small niche businesses go where I live - small redneck town dominated by Wal-Mart and all that. Great guy, though.
Kim wrote:
I have this dream wherein the RPR is my only job. It's the thing that I most love and am most passionate about. I hope some day it comes true!

I also share this dream ;D
Oh wow, Kim! That does come as a shock! But thank goodness you're in an environment you can work in that doesn't make you sick, and maybe one day the RPR will become your dream job for real!

Also I am looking for a job too, currently. I quit after 'bout 2 years of college, dissatisfied, and am now trying to be a real adult with a proper job... it's just a matter of finding something! I don't really have much of a real career (volunteer work and one summer job), but I do have some well-rounded data entry and artistic/graphic design skills, so that's a start.

I also like people and did some cashier stuff during that one summer job, so that helps. XD
I'm a facility manager/administrator for a catering and hall rental company, so, I manage all the bookings and set up all the contracts for people hosting events at our facility (and in the summer time we have a wedding reception pretty much every weekend.) I also do a lot of administrative stuff with answering the phones and emails, putting together the organizations semi-annual newsletter, directing people where they need to go. And 30% of the time I also work for the same organization's church, which means handling a lot of donations and sending out tons of income tax receipts.
I'm a mixture of a manager, secretary, accountant, HR, payroll manager, IT lady and on the rare occasion if the caretaker is out, I change the toilet paper. ;D

I've been working there for three years-- previous to that I worked at an adult homeless shelter where I started out as a security guard (oooh do I ever have some interesting stories) and eventually moved up to administrator to the manager of the shelter.

I plan on leaving my current job and going back to school full time (I've been out of school for about four or five years no). I'm in a two year program looking to get a certificate either with business analysis or computer networking, probably a cross over of the two. Thankfully, my work is going to keep me on at the same rate but cut my hours to a third of what they were due to full time classes.
Bonebag Topic Starter

Dylan wrote:
...I'm in a two year program looking to get a certificate either with business analysis or computer networking, probably a cross over of the two.

I can tell you from personal experience that network management is only for those that can stand to be patient... Krosis. You might also look into security analysis, sounds like something quite useful that you could add to your repit... rep... belt. And yes I did just go all Paarthurnax/Skyrim on you. Woo.
Claine Moderator

I'm a ESL teacher working in Japan. I teach children between the ages of 4-ish to 15-ish. I've been working here just under 2 years now. It's a pretty great job :)
Sanne Moderator

I work for the telecom provider Vodafone in the Enterprise Sales department as a sales agent. Previous to this I worked a year for their consumer customer services where I answered questions, fixed problems and got yelled at and threatened quite a bit. :D

I mostly sell business contracts for up to 30 priceplans at a time, often including new phones catered to the specific needs of a small business.

We get many different kinds of customers, including people who want a free iPhone 4S 64GB on a 1 year contract of €22.50 a month (about 26 dollars) and yell at me when I tell them that's impossible with a phone thst costs over €700.....
I work in a glass production plant, where I make car glass.

I guess that's sort of boring compared to everyone else! :D
Sanne Moderator

CaptainCassie wrote:
I work in a glass production plant, where I make car glass.

I guess that's sort of boring compared to everyone else! :D

Not at all!! Without you we wouldn't be able to drive around without a seriously bad draft. XD
Phrostphyre

I cut grass for my neighbor during the summer. I'm probably going to find work doing construction or something, too. Gotta love doing manual labor in the heat of Lower Alabama. ;)
Minerva

Kim, Max wants to say he understands the health thing and admires your answer to it. He, too, stopped regular work for similar reasons. He says he retired to self pity and admires your ethic. As for me, I work at gamestop. Woot.
Ilmarinen Moderator

I'm a full-time computer science student, but I do work a handful of jobs as well. I'm currently wrapping up a job as a sort of research assistant in a program that taught 10-13 year-old kids about wind energy concepts. Unfortunately I didn't get hands-on in the classroom, but I'm working on putting together the final analysis report. More regularly, I tutor lower-level computer science classes and work as a freelance artist for Furcadia (game art) and single customers (generally character illustrations). I'm also doing fairly well as a leather artisan selling on Etsy. ;)
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I'm working hard to make a career out of making animated videos, much like the ones I've created for RPR.
I work in the hospitality department, but my job title is all over the place, as I tend to fill whatever role needs filling.

In the area I live in, we're pretty much a tourist dependent economy (OSF) so, everyone with a B&B dream comes here to setup shop. I work for one of the many called The Albion Inn, and do everything from prepping, cooking and serving breakfasts, to turning over rooms and planting, tending and maintaining organic gardens onsite, which supply the kitchen with the better half of its produce during the spring through fall seasons.

It's actually one of the best jobs I've had and puts some of my very expensive (and ultimately pointless, as without experience, a certificate that says "I'm a certified chef" means nothing, despite the 20k put into it) education to use!

So, I guess I'm like, a gardening, housekeeping... chef.
Bonebag Topic Starter

theodiousone wrote:
So, I guess I'm like, a gardening, housekeeping... chef.

^ Everything is made better by adding 'chef' at the end.
Bonebag wrote:
^ Everything is made better by adding 'chef' at the end.

I think that's because everyone loves to eat, and chefs make good eats possible. It's a happy association. xD
Kim Site Admin

This topic is really interesting. Thanks for starting it, Bones! :)
I'm a janitor for a hair salon. And I have a phobia of touching other's people hair. I wear gloves all the time. >:l

/lamejob
Sanne Moderator

P.S. I train kitties to conquer the world should Skynet fail to.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Where do you work?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus