Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » New to RP, Heya!

Hello! I am finally taking an awkward leap off the diving board in an effort to learn how to roleplay.

In the real world I am interested in politics of many varieties - whether it be based on the social intimacy of a near-deserted island, something more contemporary like US congress, and everything in between. Could anyone please provide some recommendations for RP settings or groups where I can explore these themes?

I would also be open to something more surrealist. I don't know if this is a *thing* in RP communities, but I think it would be fun to share a narrative that deviates from rules of realistic, linear consistency - almost line we're in a dream together.

I do play and DM for dungeons & dragons, so I wouldn't have much difficulty integrating into a more structured RP system. I'm more concerned about learning to write well and quickly because I'm not a native English speaker.

Thanks so much and I hope to hear from you soon,

Monkeymouf
Fox

Welcome, my friend! <3 You're going to love it here!
Welcome!

I can't think of anyplace offhand to point your toward, but it's easy to post what you're looking for, and I think you'd get some decent responses for something politically-focused. I do recall there being a group somewhere around here where people run countries instead of characters, too; RP Kingdoms or something, I think?

As for the dream thing, I can say from recent, personal experience that this is a thing people have interest in. I posted a dream-set RP recently, and actually had to refuse some people because I got too many responses. ^^;
You sure have smooth English for a non-native person~ Then again, I ain't native either, but I really wouldn't have guessed it from your part if you haven't told it
Welcome to the site :3
Welcome to the site!

As what Novalyyn has said, there is a group where RP Kingdoms are more in control, even able to add your own kingdom and ruling it! I had forgotten the name of the group though. If this suits to your liking, you can always search it up. ^_^

Additionally, I wouldn't realize that you're not a native English speaker either if you haven't told us. >.>

I'm sure you'll have a memorable experience here! Have fun! Feel free to ask us any questions.
HibariHaru

Hey there, and welcome to RPR. :)
Sanne Moderator

Welcome to the site! I have seen these themes fly by on the Looking for RP boards on several occasions, so there's a good chance you can find something by browsing or creating a topic of your own. :) There are many of us who aren't native English speakers, so don't worry too much about it! I hope you enjoy yourself. :D
Welcome to RPR! Your English looks great to me :) I hope you find just the sort of RP you're looking for <3
Kim Site Admin

Hello there! So nice to meet you. :D

It seems like you've gotten a number of recommendations on where to get started finding RPs, so I'll speak instead to your point about learning to RP. :)

When getting started with RP, I really recommend this primer on basic RP concepts as a starting place. Even if you have some RP experience, it can be a nice way to see what the general norm is here.

We also had some community discussions awhile back about how to improve at RP.. I boiled them down into interesting articles for those who are interested. Here's a selection of my favorite ones:

Writing for RP
The responsibility of ALL RPers (getting this one right will generally make people sing your praises!)
And if you want to put a slightly more advanced technique in your back pocket for now and again: Using dice to enhance RP

I'm sure you're finding your way around okay so far, but just in case, if you have a question, there's a couple things you can try. Firstly, sometimes just typing a question into the search box will get you the info you need, or you can go to the Help section to see a list of popular articles. If you still need more help, everyone here is awesome and friendly. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions or suggestions!
Hi there! Welcome to RPR! Don't worry about English not being your first language. That is the same case for many people here, but we all still get along and don't mind it at all! ^.^
As the others have said, you speak English fantastically, there's no need for worries there. I'm Bonebag, lord of all things non rp related! If you're ever in need of any help, drop by the Just Talkin thread and see me, or feel free to shoot a moderator (or me) a pm. We are a very friendly bunch here, you'll fit right in!
Rawr~! Welcome to the RPR!
Hope you enjoy your stay!
Anyway, don't be afraid to hit me up! I do bite, but not much~!
SugaarCereal

Welcome! Hope you have fun and find what you're looking for. If not I suggest proposing your own game and gather up those who might be interested.
I LOVE MONKEYS. ALSO HI. BUT MONKEYS.
Asroc

Yo! Welcome to RPR!
Monkeymouf Topic Starter

Thanks so much for the reply guys. Kim, thanks in particular for the helpful reads. I'm in the midst of creating my first character, Jayronn!
Kim Site Admin

Awesome!! :D
CosmicCometInOrbit

Heya, welcome to the RPR.

You are on: Forums » Introductions » New to RP, Heya!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus