Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » Man vs Machine (Open!)

Clutch (played by PenGryphon2007) Topic Starter

Clutch was quiet for a long moment, thinking. "What if..." he paused, "What if I let you sit where you want. But under one condition--don't touch anything. Not the wheel, not the gearshift, not the clutch, not the radio. Definitely not the acceleration or the brake."

Was this a test? Yes. Was it smart? Only time would tell.

"Also, I need to be back by six so I can pick up Tara from work."
Tara O'Conly (played by L0v3lyInk)

Eric smiled victoriously and giggled excitedly. "AlRIGHT! I'll be right back!" he said quickly running inside his house. He came out 5 minutes later dressed in black pants, and open plaid shirt, and black boots with a piece of bread hanging from his mouth as he buttoned up his shirt. "YESYESYES!" he quickly opened the driver's side door and hopped in. "To the races!" he said as he quickly ate his piece of bread.

"Stop crumbing in my car!" Clutch retorted even as he backed out of the garage. He rolled down the windows to air out the interior and then pulled onto the road.

Eric's enthusiasm concerned him a bit--but he figured some people just didn't get out a lot. Or behind the wheel. "So, where is this racetrack?"

Eric chuckled as he put the crumbs out the window that Clutch had just opened. "Oh calm down. I'm sure if Tara finds a crumb she'll clean out your whole interior like the inside of her house." he huffed as she settled in putting on his seat belt.

"Do you want the address or do you want me to just point and tell you when to turn?" Eric asked, personally loving the idea of just pointing and driving. It was more exciting.

"I don't have eyes, just sensors. And an address would probably work better if we want to get there soon." That being said, if Eric was going to give him directions--there was nothing Clutch could do.

"You just haveto give me warning in advance of whether we're turning left or right. I can't cut across three lanes of traffic without getting hit. I'm not the god of traffic; though if I were I'd ban it."

"That doesn't make sense. You wouldn't be the god of traffic if there was no traffic dumby." he said with a laughed as he VERY lightly, using one finger, touched the wheel. "Oh, and I don't know the address. Can't your super awesomeness just look up directions Ridge's Speedway?"

"That's precisely why I would be the god of traffic--so I could control it," retorted Clutch. "And yes, my built in GPS navigation can do that."

He went quiet for a moment as his internal processors processed. "Ah, okay, found it." He twisted his wheel to turn left, not realizing the temptation that Eric was facing in the driver's seat.

Eric shivered wanting SO badly to just grab the wheel and slam his foot down on the pedal. He turned his head away, looking out the window, and put his hand in his lap. "GOOD! I'm glad. It would have been more fun to try crossing three lanes go." he chuckled.

Clutch's speakers crackled with dry laughter. "It's only fun if you can get away without a fender bender. Although the constant pingings of motion sensors does get a little irritating after a while."

Clutch navigated the streets as well as he could, given the other cars around him. "So, when did you start racing, and why?"

"As soon as I got my car I started racing. I got a few dents on her at the beginning but I got those fixed right away. Ever since then I've been racing." He said as he started to lightly stroke the wheel again. "It's a passion and an addiction."

Clutch sighed. "Racing is supposed to be a non-contact sport--unlike Demolition Derby." The car jerked uneasily as he shifted up a gear as traffic sped up around him.

"Is the racetrack usually busy? The ones I'm familiar with are on the far end of town."

"A little nudge here and there from other drivers isn't uncommon in racing and it's not like a referee can go out there and stop you." he laughed softly as he now stared intently at the wheel. He wanted to grab it so badly...

"Today is a weekday so it isn't going to be super busy. There will be some people there though."

"First things first, we're only looking. I still have to be back by six to pick up Tara," Clutch reminded his overenthusiastic passenger.

He made the final turn and pulled into the racing complex, rolling to a stop. Already the sounds of idling engines could be heard over the slight hum of traffic.

"I think we're here."

Eric laughed. "NO shit Sherlock!" he said as he about got out. "Oh wait, how are you going to get in if you aren't racing to watch?" He asked, not having thought about that. "Come on, one race won't take that long. Signing you up will take maybe half an hour and then we just have to wait till the next quarter time slot to race. They happen ever 15 minutes so long there are enough people signed up to race and I only have to place down a minimum bet of $100."

Clutch's engine spluttered in surprise. "Y-you want me to race?!" It was all he could do to stay on the roads as it was, and avoid traffic, and now Eric was pressuring him to join in on the fun. Well, he could always blame his lack of foresight on the "Artificial" aspect of his Intelligence.

"B-but I'm not familiar with the racetrack and...do you even have the money to race when you don't have a job?" Mostly he was concerned because he would need one lap around the track, guided by a driver, before he could drive it himself. And this was why he'd wanted Tara in the driver's seat instead of Eric.

Eric grinned at the car's reaction. Eric looked off to the track though and chuckled. "A hundred bucks is nothing you derp and yeah I have it. If I'm going to the race tracks I always bring a grand at least. I keep it on the side so I don't spend it. As far as the race track, I can drive the first lap if you like~. I've driven this multiple times. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Even just once?!?!?!"

Clutch hesitated--not immediately saying no. He did want to race and Eric's enthusiasm was catching.

"Alright, two things to keep in mind. First, I'm giving you manual control enough for one lap. Second, do not abuse this. I can take back control when I need to--and I'd prefer not to have to fight over the gas, brake and what-not. Thirdly, please try not to grind my gears. I hate that."

With a great deal more hesitation, Clutch added, "Can I trust you?"

After each of Clutch's commands Eric said something along the lines of alright, okay, or mhm. When he said something about the grinding of gears Eric winced. "Oh hell no. I wouldn't do that on purpose and I've only done that once or twice and it was when I was street racing." he said as he padded the wheel. He grinned though and hopped up and down eagerly in the seat.

"If you don't like the way that I drive after the first lap, you don't have to ever give me permission to drive again and I'll always sit in the passengers seat. I can't promise that I won't nag or ask to drive again though." Eric said softly, not wanting to give up the potential right to drive.

Well, with such an admittance, there really was no reason not to let Eric take control. Clutch sighed and then tilted his mirrors for his driver's ease.

"Alright, manual control," said Clutch, giving up his precious control. The wheel, Eric would notice, would not fight his grip, and the pedals would not move of their own accord--for now. But it would be a lie to say that Clutch wasn't looking forward to some racing. "Let's go."

Eric bounced up and down in his seat quickly before he grabbed the wheel and lightly tapped the pedal to become acquainted to the feel of Cluth's controls. It wasn't hard to adjust to though and soon enough he had Clutch inside of the tracks and Eric was filling out Clutch's information as he sat in the front seat. Just in case something happened, the tracks needed to know all of their information. Once he had turned it back in, he sat back down in the driver's seat and waited for the approval. Eric giggled excitedly and sighed happily, "You are the best Clutch~"

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » Man vs Machine (Open!)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus