Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » funny names in pets

Minerva

what odd names have your pets had? Is there any particular reason? for example... I told the story of the wall climbing kitty i adopted, named kratos. It became better as she matured, markings developing a goatee, strips around the legs (chains!), a streak across the tummy (scar!) and some other effects. Now i have tiny bobble: the smallest of her litter with a weird bobblehead quirk; #2, the firstborn, and fat jack, named for both size and his penchant for trouble. Just about every legendary jack is trouble. Also, i have a jack friend who is very sparrowy so i took great pleasure in getting to say, "not you. we named the kitten jack."
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I had a hamster when I was a kid that I called Chewie. Many of my friends thought it was a Star Wars reference but (try not to faint) it was not! I called him chewie because the moment you put something in his cage, he would start chewing it to pieces.

I also had a rat later on I called Seven. My aunt bought her for me and we were always joking about Star Trek because it wasn't really her thing but she would enjoy teasing me about it. I said I'd call the rat Seven of Nine, it wasn't a serious suggestion but the name stuck anyway.

I still miss Seven sometimes :(
I have a really big hound dog that I named Muffin, just because I thought it would be funny if she had such a cutesy name when she was so big XD

My friend has a dog named Chewbacca because when he was little his growling noises sounded like Chewbacca. (He still makes those noises XD It's hilarious) He's also real fuzzy :D
I had a teddy bear hamster named "Teddy"--I was six when I got him. Of course that was just *after* I got chomped by a hamster I had held just prior. (Thus my fear of hamsters was born.) After he died we got a second hamster named "Lucky", who managed to scavenge crayola crayons into her cage AND chew through the plastic cage. Fortunately we knew about the hole beforehand and watched her try to escape--into the giant purple tub we had set the cage into.

I also had a beta fish named Aeneas, after the one and only written about in Vergil's "Aeneid". He lasted all four years of college. He was, you could say, 'well-schooled'. :P

OH, and I have a parakeet (who I swear is going to live forever) called "Alex", short for "Alexander The _not-so_ Great." He bites. Geeze, I need nicer pets. >_<
Minerva Topic Starter

oh... One that isnt funny, but ironic. sad, really. derek came home with a pup bred by his parents dog and a stray female. He was cute, loving... and dumb as a BRICK. Regardless, we let ashli name him. She had just watched all dogs go to heaven. Annnd at six months old "charlie" did. Bad mojo, i guess. Sometimes ashli will start babbling about seeing charlie, or talk like hes still there. I went through hell for that pup, and theres part of me that wonders. Heaven, eh? I swear he checks in.
We had two pets when I was growing up who had unusual names:
Woodrow Wilson Williams & Theophilus "Theo"

Not sure why my parents were a fan of "Woodrow Wilson"-- maybe they just liked the "WWW" reference later on when the 'net got big but enjoyed the alliteration at the start. I don't remember them ever being Wilson fans. We also called him "Snaggletooth" because he'd busted a fang fighting a rabbit once, and every since then his lip would snag on the broken tooth.

Theophilus on the other hand means, if I remember right, "Love of God". Not quite so funny as it is "noble", but we just called him Theo for short.
The Captain and I's first dog...
I had been woken up at 0800 by a phone call from a friend: "Hey, do y'all want a dachshund?" I was too sleepy to care, but the name was magic to the Captain and she immediately was away and telling me that yes, we very much wanted this dog. I growled something that might have been words and was assured that the message had been received. Going back to sleep for a little bit, we (the Captain and I) went to the Ft. Worth Stock Show and Rodeo and finally made it to my friend's house a little after 2000, where we collected this little red wiener dog that I was unsure of.
Well, it came time to name the little monster, and I was rather fond of the name 'Diesel'. The Captain, however, was not, and so we compromised. We came up with eight names and placed them into a bucket, then upended the bucket in front of the yet-unnamed dog. Right off the bat? Diesel!
"But he's not a Diesel!" She cried, trying to dissuade me from the name. We compromised again, deciding that whatever he picked twice would be his name, no matter what. Second try, can't remember. Third try? DIESEL!
"But he's not a Diesel!" Again, I found myself looking at the woman I did and still do love greater than any power in the universe, including beer.
"Fine!" Exclaimed I, intent upon some reasonable variation of my prize. "What are alternatives to Diesel? Mack?" Negative. "Peter(bilt)?" Negative. "Vin? Dom?" No! "How about Riddick?" ...That could work...
And so he was named Riddick! But the story doesn't end there, my friends! Oh no!
I, being the sort of person that I am, and raised with all of my family's pets, sans fish, having first, last, and middle names, decided to name him after the city in which we lived as well: Euless, TX
And so, a little dachshund (whom I later learned is braver, tougher, and more bat-guano insane than any of the Marines I served with) was named Riddick Euless Z---. Just say it out loud, and the joke will make itself readily apparent.
I had a really awesome cat! :D When we lived out on the west coast my dad got him for me, and I named him indigo, inde for short. Well Of course he didn't answer to that, (thank you dad) this cat was a cool cat, he wasn't needy like most. But any way...the name that ended up sticking -_-' is Fat bastard. When my dad was working the garage the cat was always there, not quite under foot but around enough to be a pain in the butt. He used to sit in dad's tool box, prompting a "move you fat bastard" whenever dad needed a tool. The cat would yowl in reply, as if it resented being called a fat bastard, but it's the only name it came to. lol
One of my cats is named Schmendrick. Lots of people can't say it and hardly anyone can spell it! It means something roughly equivalent to 'fool' in Yiddish. Most importantly, it's also the name of the wizard from The Last Unicorn, which is an excellent book.
Well...I got two dogs right now. A obscenely hyper jack russel named Cooky (pronounced cookie), who's just dumb as a sack of hammers and name isn't really all that funny. My other dog however. Chihuahua. Her names Nani. Which I learned from my step mom is apparently hawaiiain for 'princess' and boy that dog lives like one too. Both of em do actually. Now how is that even remotely funny you may ask? Simple. Because as you may or may not know Nani is also Japanese for 'what'. Now this is what makes it funny as she will answer to Nani but she also answers to someone hollering what. However you try to address her as princess she just looks at you with this look like she's saying 'Who you calling princess you nutter?'. Almost like she takes being called princess as an insult.
My current kitty's name is Boba Fett after the most amazing bounty hunter. ;D He also had to have a leg amputated so we say he escaped the Sarlacc Pit.

My fiancee used to have a kitty named TBK which stood for Tiny Baby Kitty. She's now a much happier farm cat.

I also used to have a cat named Squee, specifically after seeing a Magic card with Squee the Goblin.
My dog's name is Olivia, which really isn't a funny name, but we call her Roompea for being such a tiny romper tromper, which she effectively responds to more than her original name.
We have two cats, Cuppy because he acts more like a puppy than a cat, and PJ - my girlfriend wanted to name her after PJ Harvey, and I've always wanted a cat that I could call the Cat's Pajamas ~

We also have two sugar gliders. Keith's got the weirdest name. We named him after "My buddy Keith" from Left for Dead 2, because he's been to the vet 4 times in the 2 months we've had him, has no ears, and the shortest tail I've ever seen. But he's STILL ALIVE. (He had the short tail and ears when he was given to us - he was a rescue).
Our other one is Thumbkin, just because he's so tiny <3
Ilmarinen Moderator

My cats are Gandalf and Goblin. I'm dead set on naming all my cats after things in the Hobbit. (Though no more kitties for me now, alas.) I named Gandalf that because he's a solid grey cat, and I always liked the name... he sometimes acts like a wizard, prone to awful tempers and moodswings and insane visions. ;P Goblin, unfortunately, has ENTIRELY lived up to his name. I named him Goblin just because I thought it was cute and he has green eyes! But alas and alack, he is a little playful hyperactive noisy monster. (I mean, he's really sweet too, but... insanely mischievous.) I wonder what would have happened if I had named him "Fluffy Bunny" or something less menacing.
Wizard wrote:
One of my cats is named Schmendrick. Lots of people can't say it and hardly anyone can spell it! It means something roughly equivalent to 'fool' in Yiddish. Most importantly, it's also the name of the wizard from The Last Unicorn, which is an excellent book.

Ah! This made me squee! I love that book and movie. I could probably quote the whole movie haha. Great name for a cat! <3's for you Wizard! :)
Oh god...you all are going to think I'm insane but here's some I've had (I'll limit myself too)

Priscilla (I had a thing for the movie Priscilla Queen of the Desert)
Addy
Mickey Finn (Swear I didn't name this dog.)
Tazer
Mr. Wigglesworth
Toronto and Ontario (siblings)
Trinity and Xavier (Easter puppies)
Austio
Fabio
Nyx
Patches
Hetty
Max
Mr. Salt N Pepper Curlilocks (Ask my son I felt so bad for this dog.)
Wizard wrote:

hahahahah I'm sorry I'll be sounding gay in mentioning this, but I heard that name from the one video, "the Last Unicorn" from the 80s. WOW> :D
A turtle named Ferrari.
A rabbit kit named "Mr Grumpy" because he has the sourest expression on his face ALL. THE. TIME. (A pic of Mr. Grumpy: https://picasaweb.google.com/103175309213232534709/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCKLS_7ShutSKwwE#5728320471303247506 )

And another one called "Jeff" from "Mutt & Jeff" because he's OCD about cleaning himself. And others.
TheLily

Of all the animals I've had (with parents and the like), only two stickout in my head.

One of them is Whatever. A black and white cat that all six people in my family fought over the name of, but my mom got final say "We'll just call him whatever!" is what she yelled at us... so his name became Whatever.

The other is Stupid-face. My roommate's mom got two cats and gave one to us. The other had an elegant name of some sort (Sophia, I think), but Stupid-face was an ugly cat and dumb as a brick. She used to ram herself into the glass window over and over and over, effectively making whatever was wrong worse. That being said, Stupid-face was the sweetest cat. I used to lay down with headaches and there she would be, crawling into my shirt to knead my stomach (never OVER the shirt, little beast), and never purring. She seemed to know that when were in the dark it wasn't nice to purr, but would still knead.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » funny names in pets

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus