Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Finally decided to say hello.

Hi guys. I am known as DarkDesperation here, though my identity tends to vary from place to place.

I joined RPR early last year, February 21st actually, I just didn't introduce myself until now.

I've been roleplaying and running my own stories and games for almost 13 years now, it has become a little more than a hobby for me. It's more like a lifestyle. Ever since I started, I found myself quickly building my own worlds, stories, and even communities. Running the show just became natural to me. Thus, you're likely to find me behind the DM side of things than anything else, though I am still more than happy to let someone else take the lead now and then.

I am also an improv actor in real life, I write and play music on my MIDI Keyboard, fiddle with Photoshop, and go to college to pursue a career in Programming / IT. I have two mischievous lap cats, two brothers; one who served in the Marines, and the other who makes a living working on Navy ships in the shipyard.

I will be honest. I love being right-and most of the time I try to know what I'm talking about, but if I don't, I will ask. I am a sponge of knowledge, and if you ever need a roleplay counselor, feel free to ask me anything. Be warned though, I can be pretty in-depth!

Nice to meet ya'll!
Sanne Moderator

A belated welcome to the site then! :) You have quite the interesting interests. Do you DM all genres or do you have specific preferences in that area?
DarkDesperation Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
A belated welcome to the site then! :) You have quite the interesting interests. Do you DM all genres or do you have specific preferences in that area?

Pretty much GM every genre. My weaknesses are space age sci-fi or high fantasy, not my strong point, but everything else; if I know it, I can GM it!
Then officially welcome!
Welcome! and nice official introduction! Hope we RP sometime on here friend you seem pretty epic!
Oh hey, I joined roughly around that time last year as well! On the 19th! :'D

Welcome to the site officially! Maybe if you ever post an ad looking for players for a game you're looking to DM, I'll give it a looksee! I'm a pretty big fan of Pathfinder and D&D 3.5e. Getting into 5e, but it's still kind of overwhelming for me to learn it alongside Exalted, Valor, and Tenra Bansho's rules and differences. ; v ;
Then we're glad to officially welcome you aboard!

Oh, I like the way you worded that! Seems like you'll fit in pretty well, being adaptable to most genres. I don't think I can DM many things as of yet. I think I still require a lot more practice before getting to that point.

You remind me of my older brother, except he's not that into theater. And I should stop before this turns into an essay-- XD

You're probably a bit familiar with the site already, but don't hesitate to ask questions still!

Hey thanks guys, loving this so far. I've been trying to figure out ways to get the word out that this site is here, because I think this is the best roleplaying site of all the ones I've come across.
Well, welcome, officially, to RPR! I'm Light and it's nice to meet you!

I'm more of the long-term, large-scale worldbuilder type, but I really don't think I have the guts to DM a large rp setting yet with what I have so far. (Fear of my worlds getting ripped apart by others is kind of why...)

But what is one of your best experiences while DMing? And any personal or general advice for anyone who's new to being a DM? (Totally not asking for myself~)

Aside, I'm glad you're enjoying the site! Here's hoping I bump into you sometime for a RP!

Thanks, nice to meet you too!
LightSide-Lotus wrote:
I'm more of the long-term, large-scale worldbuilder type, but I really don't think I have the guts to DM a large rp setting yet with what I have so far. (Fear of my worlds getting ripped apart by others is kind of why...)

It's what players do. You just have to outwit them. Plan for things, and whatever is unplanned, well, you'll know better next time. Limit things at ground level FIRST instead of trying to do detailed rules off the bat; that also helps.
LightSide-Lotus wrote:
But what is one of your best experiences while DMing?

One of my best and most memorable experiences while DMing was with a game of 50 players. It was text driven (voice driven would not have worked) and I managed to kill at least 3/4's of the group with an archdemon. I considered it a personal victory. (By the way, don't ever run a game of that scale in the same room. Make people split off into squads of 2-6 people all with different GMs, if you can.
LightSide-Lotus wrote:
...any personal or general advice for anyone who's new to being a DM? (Totally not asking for myself~)

Love what you do, and don't be afraid to kill people. :3
Kim Site Admin

Hey, I know you! ;) What inspired you to make your introduction all this time after joining? Not that it's a problem, I'm just wondering what prompted it. :)
DarkDesperation wrote:
Hey thanks guys, loving this so far. I've been trying to figure out ways to get the word out that this site is here, because I think this is the best roleplaying site of all the ones I've come across.

This makes me very, very happy to read. If you've had some awesome ideas about getting the word out, I'd love to hear them too. :D

Kim wrote:
Hey, I know you! ;) What inspired you to make your introduction all this time after joining? Not that it's a problem, I'm just wondering what prompted it. :)

I'm just shy. Bwehehe.
Kim wrote:
This makes me very, very happy to read. If you've had some awesome ideas about getting the word out, I'd love to hear them too. :D

For now, I've just been telling everyone that I can. I show them my character pages and they're like "damn, that's cool," so maybe it's working.
Hello, and welcome to RPR! I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here!
HibariHaru

Hi there, Des! It's great to finally meet yah! Welcome aboard!
tumblr_inline_nbueuwzdIa1sjch9j.gif
Well...Welcome officially to RPR! Glad to see you've stuck around for so long :D
Here's to you for an official welcome :3 :D :D

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Finally decided to say hello.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus