Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » A new face.

Hello~

Made an account after seeing one-too-many links to RPRepository in other places. Became curious, figured I'd join considering role playing and meeting people are two things I enjoy doing (though am somewhat shy about the latter). No extensive character profiles just yet, but they'll come in due time.
Unsure what else ought to be said in an introductory post here; anything you wish to know just ask!
Welcome! Your shyness may pass quickly. When I joined up, I decided to try diving right in fully, and I've never regretted it. <3

If you have any questions, just ask, or take a dig through the Help documentation (it's actually pleasantly easy to read). In the meantime, are there certain genres, playstyles, or character archetypes that you tend to favor? :)
Jan_the_Cat Topic Starter

Thank you for the response, Novalyyn!

Will probably take a looking around and debating with myself before truly diving into anything. Everything on here seems pleasant(ly easy) to read thus far, though, so it may take less time. May take a snoop through the help documentation as suggested~

Regarding favourable genres, playstyles and/or archetypes, tends to vary. Fantasy or sci-fi genres seem to be what I usually go to if the decision's on me. Playstyle depends on the kind of story, I guess, and my go-to archetypes tend to be the silent hero, cocky rogue/fighter (a rebel of sorts) or a knowledge-seeker ('Tis off of the top of my head, speaking of characters most recently played). Unless you mean something more specific than that...
I try to be flexible.
Whatever you're comfortable with, though this is a pretty friendly community that's generally happy to help and super understanding of newbies. ^^

That does sound like a pretty decent range, just in the types you thought to mention! I know that some have pretty specific sorts they'll often stick to, but I personally tend to favor variety and flexibility in my own characters. ^^ Flexibility can be a double-edged sword though - sometimes it's actually helpful to have limitations to guide things along.
Well hi there and welcome to RPR! I'm Lotus, but you can call me Light.

Well since I wish to know about you... Do you have any favorite TV shows?

Anyway, I really hope you enjoy yourself here! Everyone's really friendly, so if you have any questions, I'm sure you'll find what you need!

Definitely a breath of fresh air after the gauntlet of trying to survive as a newbie in almost any MMO. Why haven't I thought of switching to friendlier communities sooner, I'll never know...

Usually, only thing I tend to stick to is the name and general personality of the character. Can use the same name for a druid from a forgotten forest, a ragged survivor of an apocalypse, a space marine, school student; but their behaviour, thoughts, looks will of course differ in the various scenarios.
That's not to say I cannot invent a character that's meant to be rooted to a given time-line and story and stick to it adamantly. It's just that my "core" characters tend to be multi-dimensional, if that's even a valid term.
In other words. I hope to wield this double-edged sword with some competence. But I guess that will be verified yet.

@Light (since the reply arrived whilst I was typing one other)
Thank you for the response!
Nothing but friendliness thus far, so agreed!
Regarding television... haven't been really watching that in a while so I'm afraid I have to say "I'm not sure". I enjoyed watching Breaking Bad ('Tis off of the top of my head again), Merlin was also among something I tried watching when I had the opportunity. Also Vikings. Not sure if I'm translating the titles either or if they go by differently in English.
Looks like you met the usual friendly people. Welcome to one of the friendliest sites on the internet! I am so glad you can join us. Since everyone is asking questions, ummmm, what is your favorite type of music? Or favorites? I have many, depending on my moods.

A good start~
Thank you for the greeting, Fiarathe.

I might've unknowingly made it seem like everyone who posts ought to ask a question. It's not at all a requirement, though it is appreciated.
In terms of music, moods play a role indeed. But the typical go-to's would be your usual rock and metal music. Rhapsody, Firewind, Falconer, Nightwish, The Rasmus, Metallica, Eluveitie to name a few. I won't stray from listening to other genres as well, though.
JanniCat wrote:
A good start~
Thank you for the greeting, Fiarathe.

I might've unknowingly made it seem like everyone who posts ought to ask a question. It's not at all a requirement, though it is appreciated.
In terms of music, moods play a role indeed. But the typical go-to's would be your usual rock and metal music. Rhapsody, Firewind, Falconer, Nightwish, The Rasmus, Metallica, Eluveitie to name a few. I won't stray from listening to other genres as well, though.

Nice XD

I float from many different types of Techno music, to hard rock, to metal, to classic rock, to classic metal, to 60s, 70s, 80s, classical XD so much music!

Never enough music, is there? ;)
NOPE
Hey, welcome to the site! You really won't regret joining us here. As you can see, we're pretty open to anyone, so don't be afraid to reach out to us anytime! ;D

Fantasy and sci-fi are big discussions here too! I have more experience in fantasy than sci-fi, but I'd be more willing to try either of them again as long as I will only have to make a character and join the verse. Making worlds with detailed settings and anything else takes me a very long time before finishing it. XD

For the games I've played so far, I kind of fancy silent hero types now too. And since we're in that matter, do you have any games you've played? Any special ones you can't forget?

Thanks for the welcome, RinTengoku. :)
Understandably, the creation of a whole, detailed world takes more time than writing a character to fit into that world does. Of late, my idea of role playing was jumping into a setting/area and building a world around it as the story progressed. 'Course, the first clear flaw is that, unless it's all kept track of, the world just becomes confusing and disjointed after a while.
But hey. It can work.

Speaking games, yeah - there'd be a few. Most recent would be Ori and the Blind Forest. Any series from Spiderweb Software would also count as memorable for me. Those are the types of games to draw inspiration from, too. Or to base a whole story of one's own in.
That's considering I've interpreted your question correctly.
JanniCat wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, RinTengoku. :)
Understandably, the creation of a whole, detailed world takes more time than writing a character to fit into that world does. Of late, my idea of role playing was jumping into a setting/area and building a world around it as the story progressed. 'Course, the first clear flaw is that, unless it's all kept track of, the world just becomes confusing and disjointed after a while.
But hey. It can work.

Speaking games, yeah - there'd be a few. Most recent would be Ori and the Blind Forest. Any series from Spiderweb Software would also count as memorable for me. Those are the types of games to draw inspiration from, too. Or to base a whole story of one's own in.
That's considering I've interpreted your question correctly.
You're very welcome! Ah, please do call me Rin as it's easier. XD

Very well said. I don't think I could have done a better job. It certainly is fun to go with the flow, but it does get inevitably puzzling over time.

No worries, you got it right! Games are games, no matter what platform you play them in. :) I just looked up Ori and the Blind Forest, and it's also available on Steam. Perhaps I could try it out when I have more time on my hands, along with any games of the said indie game developer you mentioned!

Hope to see you around here more! Personally, I think the more days you can get to spend here will be fun and fulfilling. :) Please do not hesitate to ask questions if you have any as well.
Hey there, welcome to RPR! This place is really chill and lax, and the people here are super great. :'D

I hope that you find many roleplays that you enjoy, and more importantly, find many people who you really enjoy RP'ing with. ^ u ^

You people are great. ^-^

@Rin
Having a role play story running for a year now in that "go with the flow" mode, we realized a "Nifty Reference Thread" is mandatory to not change a character's name every couple days.
Can very much recommend Ori and the Blind Forest. Unless you're really not a fan of platformers that can get challenging in certain places. As with Spiderweb Software - glad I could introduce you to something new!

@FreeJayFly
Thanks for the welcome!
Those are my hopes as well. ^-^ As soon as I gather my bearings, I will look around for roleplays to participate in.

In case of questions popping up, I won't hesitate to ask as well. :)
JanniCat wrote:
You people are great. ^-^

@Rin
Having a role play story running for a year now in that "go with the flow" mode, we realized a "Nifty Reference Thread" is mandatory to not change a character's name every couple days.
Can very much recommend Ori and the Blind Forest. Unless you're really not a fan of platformers that can get challenging in certain places. As with Spiderweb Software - glad I could introduce you to something new!
Haha, you're just as great! :D

I've also encountered constant character name-changing in my earlier experiences. Whenever we came up with a name, we just use them as nicknames for any of those who're to address them.

Also, fan or not, I love trying out new games. And yeah, I wouldn't have known about it without you too!
I'll make more time for it, and hopefully try it when I get the chance. ^_^

I tend to just have several recurring names in stories I partake in, as mentioned. New ones invented for a particular reason tend to run into the "what was his/her name again?" problem often unless it is written down and summarized a bit somewhere. :) Can't use the "that guy with a grey beard that works as a blacksmith" replacement every time for instance. ^-^

All power to you to explore the worlds Spiderweb Software conjured up. :) Hope you find only friendly spiders on your journeys (you'll know what I mean once you play for yourself; particularly Avernum).
Yes, there are instances wherein I forget the recently added names in stories that I have to look them up again by re-reading old messages/threads. Thank the heavens too for the history function in web browsers. XD

The power is mine! I have been seeing a lot of Avernum when I looked it up. Perhaps it's a way of telling me to try it first before anything else. :D

Indeed! I sometimes feel Skype is having difficulties keeping the entire history by now but hey. Maybe it's just the program's characteristic. Surely there's people with even larger log files than mine. Speaking of looking for names, it's frustrating sometimes when, for instance, I am certain that one character's name started with a T, but after more thorough searches it turns out they were named Ceren or something like that.

And perhaps because it's their first game. Good memories with that one~
There's a lot of Geneforge as well, and quite a different world to explore in relation to it.
Since I've seen you have Steam - you may try to look the titles up on there as well. A heads up, though. While I have not run into any problems with the Avernum titles, Geneforge seems to struggle on Steam. Though your mileage may vary.

You are on: Forums » Introductions » A new face.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus