Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Music in a character's template

I had a thought that maybe it could help give the character well uh character. Give it something to help imagine the person personality.
I am FOR this! This would so totally be awesome!
Someone made a similar suggestion. a playlist widget. :D I like both of these ideas, as most of my characters have a theme song
I think I may have suggested some form of playlist widget way back when...not sure. But what I do know is you can imbed YouTube videos on character profiles by using [ YouTube][ /YouTube] bb codes as I have. Without the spaces of course.
Kim Site Admin

Although this is an understandably popular idea, we will never natively support music uploads. It requires a whole lot of storage space and is an enormous legal morasse -- nearly all of the music that people want to use to illustrate their character's personalities are the popular songs they know and love, that can get a little site like us sued into oblivion for copyright violations.

However, you can use the youtube tag to get a song into your profile. Many people change the size of the player so that it's just a play button, so they don't even have to show the video. :)
CookieLurv Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Although this is an understandably popular idea, we will never natively support music uploads. It requires a whole lot of storage space and is an enormous legal morasse -- nearly all of the music that people want to use to illustrate their character's personalities are the popular songs they know and love, that can get a little site like us sued into oblivion for copyright violations.

However, you can use the youtube tag to get a song into your profile. Many people change the size of the player so that it's just a play button, so they don't even have to show the video. :)

Alright thank you ^^ I just didn't understand how to do that since I'm not exactly a computer whiz. Usually calculators like to crash when I use them soooo yeah. Not too much of a genius lol.
CookieLurv Topic Starter

Okay so I've tried doing that and so far it's good, except when I go to look at it as a whole. Then i just see a white box. I wanted to know if this was normal or if I was doing it wrong.
I use this so that it is only the audio:
Code:
[youtube width=150 height=25]_________[/youtube] example: [youtube width=150 height=25]yM6sTtQeavI[/youtube]

and it would look like....

That's just the Youtube player, resized. Fiddle with the dimensions for your own liking.
I found it works well for me!
Kim Site Admin

CookieLurv wrote:
Okay so I've tried doing that and so far it's good, except when I go to look at it as a whole. Then i just see a white box. I wanted to know if this was normal or if I was doing it wrong.

The white box is usually caused by using the entire youtube URL instead of the video ID. Can you post what you were trying to use? :)
I actually don't like the whole 'music that automatically starts playing when you get on a website' thing. It's on other website-making sites and I honestly hate when I click on a characters website and I have to listen to music (often obnoxious) while I'm trying to browse the character's stats and info.

I understand that music often helps relate to the character more. But I really don't like when I'm doing multiple things, maybe listening to my own music or watching TV, and I click something and am bombarded with music.

So I for one would rather whatever music is put in a website to NOT be automatically played.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I'm inclined to agree, it's very intrusive when music starts playing.

There was one time I was trying to record some dialogue for a video with a group of people via Skype. One of them had gone to a site which had buffered music and it started playing a few minutes later. Time was limited so at was a good thirty seconds wasted as we all scrambled to find out which of us had the music playing.

It made for a good blooper though :)
Ilmarinen Moderator

Yeah, it definitely shouldn't start playing automatically!
Ficklerich wrote:
I use this so that it is only the audio:
Code:
[youtube width=150 height=25]_________[/youtube] example: [youtube width=150 height=25]yM6sTtQeavI[/youtube]

and it would look like....

That's just the Youtube player, resized. Fiddle with the dimensions for your own liking.
I found it works well for me!

I like that option a lot. It looks rather neat and organized. :) Thank you for sharing! *will use this method henceforth*
Sometimes music that starts playing when you load a page is very intrusive. It's like.. How would you feel if you turned a page of a book and suddenly some random song started playing, louder than it should be or unrelated to the current thing reading..

Or even that when you go into your bedroom and another loud, random song starts playing that you are unable to stop. It feels like an invasion of privacy! Especially if you do not want to hear any music.

That being said, I think it would be okay to implement this as long as it doesn't automatically play. Could make things very nice, and maybe add a feeling to a character or two.
Ethelle wrote:
I like that option a lot. It looks rather neat and organized. :) Thank you for sharing! *will use this method henceforth*

Not a problem! (:

To be honest, I'm completely fine with the YouTube option.
It doesn't seem necessary to add a player of RPR's own, seeing as you all are literally looking for the same thing: a music player that doesn't play automatically. We already have that option with the Youtube player.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Music in a character's template

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus