Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Official Contest: Draw a Genre Mascot

Kim Site Admin

One of the things that makes the RPR great is the amazing variety of characters and games that are represented here. By now, the "genre jumble" group on the home page is quite familiar:

2011’s genre mascots
genre-jumble-may-2011-contest.png

2010’s genre mascots
groupshot2.png

But did you know that those characters were all drawn by members? Now it’s time again for a new group of characters to represent our diversity and creativity!

To enter:
Pick one (or more) of the following genres and draw an original character that you think embodies the spirit of that genre.
  • Fantasy
  • Sci-fi
  • Steampunk
  • Mutants
  • Anthro/Furre
  • Cyberpunk
  • Superheroes
  • Fae
  • Creatures: Wolves, Dragons, etc...
  • Suggest a new one!

Rules:
1. Must be your own creation
2. Cannot be a previously made character
3. You must agree that if chosen, your drawing may be displayed on the RP Repository website and on promotional material for the RPR. Your genre mascot will have the chance to represent us far and wide!
4. Keep your images appropriate for a PG-13 type audience
5. Have fun!

The entries will be judged based on how well they appeal to their particular genre, creativity, effort, and skill.

Prizes:

The winning genre mascots will be combined into their own genre jumble, and featured on the home page.
Each person who contributes a character used in the final jumble will receive a 12 month epic membership and a set of RPR bookmarks.

In addition, the following prizes will also be raffled off between the winners:
  • a DVD of 7 RPR adventure videos, signed by Kim and Darth_Angelus
  • a DVD of the full RPR Epic Week Adventure, signed by Kim and Darth_Angelus
  • Physical copy of the map from the movie
  • An additional 3 months of Epicness, on top of the 12 you get automatically as a winner!
  • 2 extra character slots
  • 5 pages

Deadline:
Be certain to get all your entries in by May 21st.
Ilmarinen Moderator

YES! I'm so excited to enter this again!! Maybe this time I'll do the archetypal Elf Ranger and Dwarf Cleric combo.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Your entry last year was brilliant!! :D I can't wait to see what you come up with this time!
Perhaps now that I've improved on my art, I might try a serious entry this year.
I see no reason why the mascots can't all be Fluttershy.
TheLily

Oh Bonebag! *hands on hips smiling, head cocked to one side*
Jello_Monsta

lol Bones. ;)
it is so on. The world shall see my pathetic drawing style!!!
If I post and get picked does that mean I cant use my character anywhere else? (Coverart, games, ect)

That's correct, Drayle. The mascots become a part of RPR's identity, and shouldn't be something you're reusing for multiple purposes. But you can still put your entry into any portfolios you have that demonstrate your skill set. :)
Say hello to Reboot, Scifi/horror theme

reboot01.png

Drayle88 wrote:

reboot01.png

Awesome Drayle! Do you have a version without the text over top? Transparent background would also be groovetastic, but not required. :)
I hope to be in the contest again this year, but make a much better entry than last time xD

However, I do have a question. I can't do digital art. At all. The best piece of digital art I have is a line-art I colored of someone else's character on a trial (now long gone) of Paint Tool Sai. xD

So if I did a traditional drawing, would it be redrawn in digital by someone to fit in with the frontpage picture? (I wouldn't care, but I don't want to put in a lot of effort to something that's unable to be picked/used because it's traditional art)
Kim wrote:
Drayle88 wrote:

reboot01.png

Awesome Drayle! Do you have a version without the text over top? Transparent background would also be groovetastic, but not required. :)

you mean this? :3

reboot02.png

CelestinaGrey wrote:
I hope to be in the contest again this year, but make a much better entry than last time xD

However, I do have a question. I can't do digital art. At all. The best piece of digital art I have is a line-art I colored of someone else's character on a trial (now long gone) of Paint Tool Sai. xD

So if I did a traditional drawing, would it be redrawn in digital by someone to fit in with the frontpage picture? (I wouldn't care, but I don't want to put in a lot of effort to something that's unable to be picked/used because it's traditional art)

I would edit it to reduce paper grain and get the background out, but a well scanned traditional piece is 100% acceptable. :)

Just please don't put writing or props in front of the character, since that will make it very hard to combine with other mascots into one image.
My entry, I know it's rediculous, but Corgi's are :) -- This is for the Anthro/Furre section. corgi_hood__by_diego_watson-d4x1jv0.png

(made a minor fix, realized i forgot to shade the belt and remove the shadows from the rest of his fur! lol!)

Wowzers Shenzi! That's a heck of a corgi! o.o
Haha aw :) I'm assuming we can enter this as many times as we want? :) If so i might throw a couple more things in ^^
Shenzi wrote:
My entry, I know it's rediculous, but Corgi's are :) -- This is for the Anthro/Furre section. corgi_hood__by_diego_watson-d4x1jv0.png

oh wow... (feels defeat breathing over my shoulder) shoo, I'm staring at awesome.
Awww I saw that posted on dA! Adorable corgis!

And nice to see an entry for Sci Fi. Way to go Drayle!

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Official Contest: Draw a Genre Mascot

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus