Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Mystic Tavern [CLOSED]

Arcaenia (played by seraphimxoxo)

"It seems that some of the patrons have taken that we are a regal couple..", Arcaenia muttered into her wine glass before setting it down. She watched Sauron sit the Hanged Man down with them and smiled at him. Her blind eyes stared at the man who sat before her. "You've seemed to take a very comfortable stance, Sauron. Seems the king is no longer a king when he leaves his tower,", she said quietly.
The Hanged Man (played anonymously)

The Hanged Man rose from the bow, the plates of his armor sliding against one another with a soft metallic brushing noise. "Just wanted t-to pay respects," he said, though when invited, he did take a seat at their table. "You're very kind, m'lord. I-I assure you, though--I'm sure I'd find away to hurt myself s-sitting as easily as s-standing." He flashed Sauron a sly smile that was warped on the left side, and made a vague gesture towards his battered visage. He collected injuries like some men collected books or fine art.
cK2nA65.png

Though inebriated, he wasn't yet to the point of utter sloppiness or passing out, and so didn't sway or slur too badly now that he was off his feet. He looked over his shoulder however, meeting the barkeep's eyes and slapping the table. Seems he had no intention of stopping. When he turned back to Arcaenia and Sauron, he said, "My apologies, m'lord, m'lady ... I'm afraid I-I'm not from here, and I do not know your names nor titles." The Hanged Man only assumed they were highborn, judging by their ornate garments and regal bearings. Out of subservience, he tried not to meet their gaze--instead, he focused on his heavy gloves.
Sauron Runecaster (played by Sauron_Runecaster) Topic Starter

He chuckled a bit to Arcaenia, motioning his arms out wide to gesture to the tavern as a whole when he spoke.

"This is far from any kingdom I am a king in. And once you've been a king for as long as I have, formality and informality seem to blend together sometimes. Besides, this is an informal setting, and should be treated as such."

He regarded The Hanged Man once again, sipping from his chalice, then looking between it and the man for a moment. He grinned slightly, and set the chalice on the table before him, gesturing towards it after he had.

"Please. Have a drink as I introduce myself. I am God King Sir Sauron Runecaster, Leader of the Guilds of Lycosia, Master Swordsman, Master Wizard, Master Healer, Master Shadowcrafter, Planes-walker and Planes-maker, and the current host of this fine establishment. And you are?"
She couldn't help but smile, when Sauron said he recognized her name. She wasn't surprised. She knew that he would probably recognize it. She shrugged her shoulders. "Disappeared might not be the right word to use. I simply left the demon realm," she replied. She turned her head and looked at The Hanged Man, when he came to join them. She listened as Sauron introduced himself, and furrowed her eyebrows slightly. She knew who he was only from rumors and stories, but she didn't actually know that much about him. Very impressive. She let him finish and turned towards The Hanged Man. "And my name is Chimera Auxiliadora, knight and princess of the Demon Realm, master of illusions and dimension-hopping," she said. She smiled politely and started tapping her fingers on the table. To The Hanged Man she might just look like a regular human girl, which might make it confusing. But for obvious reasons she doesn't reveal her true form.

Arcaenia pored over a book she had summoned. She cleared her throat when Sauron named off his titles. "You look no more than a half light and dark.", she said nonchalantly. Her blind eyes lifted from her book to him and she sat back, the book cradled in her hand, her slender fingers spread across it's small cover to support it. "All these powers yet all I've ever known were the Greater, Lesser, and Qausi Deities. Most of those who are God Kings are just simple men who lie, cheat, steal, borrow, and bribe to persuade their audience. No more than sleight of hand. Just to come across as a God." Her eyes went back down her to her book. "If this is a place far from formality and should be treated as such, then it is a place you are far from being a king. That also means it is a place where you are far from titles."

The Hanged Man listened to the three of them, two introducing themselves with grand titles and Arcaenia remaining aloof--even denouncing their use of such titles. He was tempted to answer with his humble birth name simply to contrast Sauron and Chimera's lengthy introductions, but he hadn't used that name in many years, and he never intended to use it again. Not until he found the Red Lord. The swordsman lowered his head further, humbled, as both of them presented themselves as royalty. That said, his meekness didn't prevent him from reaching out to take Sauron's goblet when it's proffered. It trembled as he brought it to his lips for a deep drink. "Very impressive titles," he murmured, once he had lowered the goblet to the table. "I fear people of your status will not find one such as m-me interesting. I am known as the Hanged Man." Arcaenia might find the name of interest for obvious reasons. He didn't seem to have any rope scars across his throat, possibly raising the question of how he came such a moniker.

His green eyes lifted very briefly to meet Arcaenia's. "F-forgive my b-brazenness, my lady, but a king can never not be a king," he said softly to the blind oracle. "And sometimes t-titles are all one has. I've no name of my own anymore ... though you're w-welcome to give me one if you dislike titles so." He followed this with his usual lopsided smile.
Chimera looked at Arcaenia, but didn't seem offended. "I'm okay with it. Titles don't mean much to me. Just felt like explaining, who I am. It doesn't mean that I feel like a princess though.. I don't feel worthy enough to bear the title. To be honest, I don't want to," she said, seeming a little distressed about something. She sighed and walked up to the bar to get another drink. She got her drink, walked back and sat down again. She looked at The Hanged Man with interest. "The Hanged Man?" She tilted her head slightly. Her eyes glowing for a second. She might have been wrong, but she wondered about how he got that nickname. He didn't seem to have any ropeburns or anything, and she couldn't see how else he could've gotten that nickname.

The drink with which The Hanged Man would have tasted would be his absolute favorite drink, and of the finest quality. Should it be apple juice, it would be that of the highest quality apples from the tree that grows them best, or be it mead it would be that of the finest meadery with nothing but the finest of ingredients possible.

He laughed lightly at Arcaenia, shaking his head slightly to her and motioning towards The Hanged Man as he spoke. "The titles were not for my benefit. This man presented himself in a manner that is congruent with the nature of people from such places, and it would be a dishonor to give him the benefit of knowing with whom he speaks." He nods to Chimera at her mention of not wanting titles, looking back to Arcaenia.

"She's correct. Not all titles are self-made, such as my title of being a god. I know I am not, and though I would tell the people of those worlds that worship me as such that I am not, they would not believe me. Some people cling to such idea's when confronted with something that they simply can not fathom, giving grand gestures to explain grand things. To those who have a better understanding of the multiverse than the layman, they tend to understand that when I am titled as a god, that I know I am not. Also, with titles, they are not necessarily all the same title. God and King are separate titles, though titles I have nonetheless. Regardless of whether I accept them or not, they have still been bestowed upon me, and therefore when asked, it would be dishonorable to the people who have bestowed it on me and to the person with which I am speaking to not to present them as such. To not present them would be cowardly, and would only serve as an attempt to hide myself."

Arcaenia seemed to be not even slightly bothered as she read her book. "Now, now. No need for apologies. Mortals fascinate me in a way that I cannot even begin to describe. No harm done, dear.", she addressed Chimera and the Hanged Man before taking a sip of wine again and let her eyes scan over the book once more. "It is not the sword that makes the man. Or woman..", she gestured to the princess. "Anyone with a hand and an arm can wield a sword. It is how you use that sword.", the Oracle spoke. Her voice almost echoed heavenly. "Tis not what your audience bestows upon you. It is the humility that you must bestow to them. Humble oneself and the universe will follow." She smiled softly before turning her gaze to the Hanged Man. "Hmm.. I do suppose calling you the Hanged One or Seemingly Kind is a bit of a bothersome thing, now isn't it.", she jested.
With a flick of her wrist, the book was gone and she leaned forward, her pale skin illuminated by the lighting of the tavern. The gold jewels and chains in her long white hair shimmered and glinted in an eye-catching way. "Princess Chimera Auxiliadora, title seemingly renounced to maintain a sense of self preservation. The Hanged Man, a knight of some sort, I presume. Sauron Runecaster, many a things will make the man. And I, if you'll have my title, Seer of Ends and Beginnings. It is quite the pleasure to make your acquaintance."

The Hanged Man's green eyes widened as the drink touched his tongue. He hadn't noticed the strong smell of spices before he'd brought it to his lips. It was ginger mead, just like the kind he used to drink. Bright notes of cinnamon and clove played across his tongue. The memories brought back by the flavor made him blush furiously and grin down into the goblet, though he soon flicked his eyes to Chimera. "Aye, my lady ... and thrice-hanged at that." Under the table he kicked off his left boot and sock, then partially lifted his trouser leg to show her the ugly rope scars upon his ankle. It's difficult to tell where one ended and the next began.

The Hanged Man licked his lips at Arcaenia's words. "N-nay, Lady Seer. A knight no longer ... now I am no one. Just a sword without a w-wielder." He stroked his falchion's pommel fondly.

The lonely swordsman stole another sip from Sauron's goblet before reluctantly handing it back. He leaned in closer. "I'm not sure how you c-came by this particular drink, your grace ... but you certainly know how t-to tantalize me."
Princess Nicole Sliving (played anonymously)

(EEEK! Pardon my absence, life threw a bunch of stuff at me. :P)

Nicole hung on to every word each person said. Her mother would HATE her eavesdropping, but a princess must know her people!
Even though she technically wasn't a princess anymore
And even though they weren't her people.
Still, in the Young rulers mind, everywhere she went she owned, and every person she passed was her subject. even though, Nicole thought, even though these people are beneath me, these people are wise. Special.
Even when they were just stating their names, it was an interesting conversation about titles that would make anyone drop what their doing and just think. From what Nicole could grasp, the man called The Hanged Man was a retired, harmed warrior, one of the women was a seer, Sauron was the owner of the tavern and quite a talented man, and the other woman was named Chimera, and was a demon princess.
Nicole spun in her seat to watch this strange group of people.

The Oracle looked at the Hanged Man. "A sword without a wielder.. Most peculiar. It's a shame I couldn't intervene. Being who I am is a curse that I wish upon no one. To watch for centuries and millennia.. mortals die and live and die again while I am stuck in the shadows, unable to do anything but give my wisdom and judgement for when they meet their maker. Forgive me, Hanged One. You have endured too much.." Arcaenia straightened herself in her chair before taking the last sip of wine from her glass before denying more from a passing servant. She sensed their thoughts, particularly, Princess Silving's. She sensed that saying more of her true origin would frighten those around her lest they asked her to elaborate. To steel herself of her fragile heart, without warning, Arcaenia glowed with light before changing into a man. The white hair remained but a broad chest and thickened neck replaced the otherworldly beauty sitting before her newfound friends. "Ah.. forgive me.. Sometimes emotion influences my powers..", the male stammered. His eyes were covered by a hood and the dress had turn into somewhat of an armored robe and a staff appeared behind the chair. His feet shifted and the sound of armor shifting was heard in this specimen's awkward silence.
gl-65904-1465961421.jpg
She smiled slightly at Sauron, when he nodded at her. He seemed to understand the whole not-wanting-titles-thing, which pleased her. A lot of people would not understand or even try to. Besides, she was a demon. An actual demon and royalty. Most people would call her a danger to her surroundings. People were scared of demons. They were called vicious. And sure she could snap a few necks, but she had left that life behind. Her deity might have been Lucifer, but she wasn't like the rest of them. Demons weren't all that bad, but she refused to be a princess or to life in the Demon Realm after they executed her family for treason. Chimera looked at The Hanged Man, when he said he was thrice-hanged. She let her hands slide over her throat for a moment. "Yeesh!" She exclaimed and shook her head. "That sounds terrible. Though I have never heard of anyone being hanged THRICE before," she said and looked at him curiously. She didn't really want to prod, so she didn't ask him about it. He probably didn't want to talk about it either, just like she never really wanted to talk about why she left the Demon Realm. She felt someone stare at her, and looked Princess Silving straight in the eyes. Her eyes seemed to glow again for a moment. They burned like a fire. She furrowed her eyebrows at her, and then turned back towards Arcaenia and the others, ignoring the princess' stare. Her jaw almost dropped, when she saw Arcaenia transform.. into a gentleman. "Very impressive," she said and complimented Arcaenia, though she/he probably didn't need it. "And I have heard people say that men can't be beautiful," she added and chuckled a bit.

Arcaenia blushed slightly. "Forgive me. If I don't stabilize myself with occupying my mind, I tend to change. I'm just happy that it was into my male form instead of the Forest Spirit or a lion again..", he said in a deep yet kind voice. "I envy you all. You all were given names while I gave myself one. And what most people have called me for quite some time. Forgive me, Chimera.", he said softly before straightening himself upright in the chair and sitting back a little, letting the chair made of roots and leaves support him.

The Hanged Man lowered his head when Arcaenia called his situation peculiar. "Perhaps," he mumbled in turn. "It is the only life I h-have ever known, my lady." He chuckled then, wishing he had a drink to occupy his lips. "I am older than I look, though. I shall n-not shuffle from this mortal coil until I have found the Red Lord. I ... I do not know how long it has been ..." He trailed off for a moment, looking lost.

When Chimera exclaimed upon seeing his scars, he let out a feeble laugh. "Each time left me a ch-changed man." He looked down to put his boot back on, and when his eyes lifted again Arcaenia was apologizing for ... "O-oh." The Hanged Man's green eyes skirted up and down the seer's new form, lingering perhaps slightly too long before he looked away with a blush. "You, ah, needn't apologize ..." At Chimera's comment he added under his breath, "And wh-whoever says that men aren't beautiful needs to button their lip." His blush darkened. "Ahh, ehm, that is to say ... men can, um ..." He trailed off, cursing a tongue slowed by drink. He'd no doubt only incriminated himself. "... n-nevermind."

He continues to sip from his drink, nodding to The Hanged Man as he returns his chalice to him and grinning a bit mischievously. "It's the chalice, not the liquid. It tastes of your favorite drink, regardless of the drinker. Over time, and with some effort, you can learn to control it to give you the taste of any drink you wish, along with any alcohol content that comes with it. It was a gift to me for my help."

He sat back, watching the exchange among the people at his table. It was nice having people around again, and he took pleasure in simply listening to their stories and thoughts.

The male looked at the Hanged Man as he spoke and his cheeks reddened before he turned his head to look at the nothingness of a corner in the tavern. He turned his gaze to his fiddling hands. "Being like this.. with all of you.. it makes me feel more human..", he said softly.
She looked fascinated at The Hanged Man. Also kind of sorry. Seems like someone tried to execute him, but it didn't go too well. Must be a fighter. "I can understand that," she said calmly. She turned her gaze towards Sauron,explaining the chalice and it's powers. These people were quite fascinating. All with different personalities, mannerisms and stories. They had all seen some things that left them scarred. Some had been here longer than others. She looked at Arcaenia, when she/he asked her to forgive him/her. "There is no need to apologize. One does not control their deity. Look at me. I didn't ask to be demon-spawn. Some are born with names and grand titles and some are not, and have to create a name for themselves. There's nothing wrong with that. In the human realm I'm not even known as Chimera. I'm known as Chira. I couldn't exactly run around being named after a mythological monster, could I?" She smiled. She noticed how The Hanged Man's words made Arcaenia's cheeks flush red, and her smile widened.
The door to the tavern opened with a creak, apparently of its own volition, because the tall, elegant woman standing in the doorway clearly did not deign to touch it. She had skin the colour of cocoa, a stark contrast to the white silks draped fashionably close to her body; her measured gait smooth as silk as she made her way inside, shutting the door behind her with a subtle wave of her hand. A pair of dark, lidded eyes swept across the room, taking in the myriad patrons with an nigh-imperceptible arch of the brow -- and the expression she wore was one of frigid calm, bordering on haughty.

After a moment of consideration, Aphrodite decided to approach the bar, moving with controlled grace. She passed by a table of patrons engrossed in conversation with each other, keeping an ear out for a familiar name, a familiar voice -- any indication at all that she was in the right place.

((Is this still open to new players? :) ))

The Hanged Man cleared his throat upon seeing Arcaenia's flush and quickly averted his gaze. The seer sounded uncomfortable, which made the battered soldier squirm. He hadn't meant to overstep his bounds. "I apologize, my la--l-lord. I-I didn't mean to ... to ... displease you," He bowed his head, but the longer he sat there, the more the alcohol tightened its hold on him, and the less he worried.

As Sauron spoke, the Hanged Man leaned forward and propped one elbow up on the table. He flashed the elvish sovereign a crooked smile as he explained how the chalice worked. "D-does it ... refill itself?" he asked. Still wearing that sly grin and emboldened by the brandy coursing through his veins, he reached out with his free arm to lay a gloved hand on top of the chalice's mouth. He was tempted to try to pull it back towards him, but even his current inebriation couldn't compete with his servile nature. Rather than attempt to wrest control, he simply trailed his index finger around the rim of the chalice.

The quintet of bards were still playing a quiet tune in the background. The once-knight tilted his head, glancing at each of his companions in turn. "D-Does anyone want to dance with me?" he asked in a small voice, still tracing a finger around the rim of Sauron's chalice. He didn't yet notice the arrival of the stately Aphrodite, though that wasn't surprising, given that he was quite drunk.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Mystic Tavern [CLOSED]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus