Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Inspirations for sci-fi webdesign?

Kim Site Admin

Does anyone have any links to some really nice science-fiction inspired web designs? I require inspiration.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

That depends on what you're looking for. I have noticed that a lot of official sites seem to adopt the idea of making it look like a computer terminal. Here are a few that came to mind.

Mass Effect
Star Trek Online
The Old Republic
Star Wars
Sins of a Solar Empire
Starcraft 2
Darkness Saga <- shameless self promotion but it is a scifi themed site :p
Space. Try doing things with space. :D I'M HELPFUL.

No, seriously though, maybe check out Halo and stuff. Less the "interstellar" part of sci-fi and more the technological side. Armored Core, Halo, etc.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Yeah, we've got some space templates and more on the way, but technological sci-fi has been badly badly neglected. I need to work up some computer roboty templates
Kim wrote:
Yeah, we've got some space templates and more on the way, but technological sci-fi has been badly badly neglected. I need to work up some computer roboty templates
Mmmmyyyesss......
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Robot themes? What happens if they rise up against their human masters?
Try checking out a bunch of sci-fi themed concept art, like wide-angle shots (panoramic, I think?). I'm also assuming you mean futuristic stuff too, instead of more modern/modern-esque. Like DA said, Sins of a Solar Emporia, and Star Trek would be massively helpful in this endeavor. I'm tempted to suggest Doom and Quake just because of their premise, but that is probably far too gory for what you had in mind.

Off the top of my head - and some of these were already said, and I'm just reinterating:
  • Warhammer 40k
  • Gears of War
  • Star Trek/Wars
  • Gundam/Armored Core/Giant Robo/generalized mech stuff
  • .hack series
  • Matrix trilogy?
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Hit up deviantart and cghub.com for concept art, it'd be massively helpful.
  • Halo (for art)
  • You might also try hitting some books or something just to get ideas rolling.
  • so i herd u leik mudkips?
darth_angelus wrote:
What happens if they rise up against their human masters?
Then we summon Ahnold.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Bonebag wrote:
Then we summon Ahnold.

And Galactica? ;)

Also, the concept art suggestion is a good one. I love this site for scifi concept art. It's a great place for inspiration.
darth_angelus wrote:
Bonebag wrote:
Then we summon Ahnold.

And Galactica? ;)
Never seen it. Hear it's decent, but it's become a soap opera or something.
darth_angelus wrote:
Also, the concept art suggestion is a good one. I love this site for scifi concept art. It's a great place for inspiration.
One thing I forgot to mention: Transformers. Not even kidding. Whether it's the abomonation of the current movies or any of the series, I think they have several alluring features about them.
Bonebag wrote:
One thing I forgot to mention: Transformers. Not even kidding. Whether it's the abomonation of the current movies or any of the series, I think they have several alluring features about them.
Hey now. What's wrong with the movies?
Nothing, I just think they could be better. Abomination was perhaps too strong of a word, considering I'm not a full-on Transformers purist.

Whoa, transformers are a fantastic idea.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys!
Bonebag wrote:
  • Warhammer 40k

To that effect, how about some Dark Heresy?

EDIT: There are many fancy, shiny-looking DNA helixes that would look great on a template, I'd wager, especially for genetically modified sci-fi characters. Or any random complicated molecule or network of molecules could do. Or how about some fancy artist's impression of DNA sequencing results like, here?
Sanne Moderator

Daft_Punk_by_endosage.png

I'm totally biased, but these guys have some serious colorful sci-fi stuff going on at times. I'm posting because most people make the mistakes to make Sci-Fi stuff boring dull grey with wires, and that'll blow. D: And we don't really have enough well blending templates with lots of colors, it's usually one color or rainbows crammed everywhere. So please, think of the colors! Use them, don't abuse them. <3

*scitters off*

Yes'm!
Yuka

Shamelessly suggesting Stargate SG1/Atlantis here <,<

891f258876z580o8.jpg.jpg

Stargate_Atlantis_intro.jpg
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Not Universe?
SG-1 or bust.
Bonebag wrote:
SG-1 or bust.
I liked SG:A better, honestly. I think it's because I think the Gwaldos (inside joke) were always a boring enemy imho.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I'm guessing that I'm the only one who enjoyed Universe?

And yes, I did enjoy the other two shows.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Inspirations for sci-fi webdesign?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus