Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The swordsman, the pirate and the hyena (closed)

It was a chilly midday at the port town of Kurinsport. This small place was thriving with activity as it was only a day's ride to the big city of Kurin's Pride. The main aspect about this town were its many docks and how busy they were. Kurinsport was noisy for such a small place. The village was divided into two areas; the Commoner's Living, where the workers lived with their familes, where stables could be visited, or where you could simply spend your time at one of the two local inns. The second area was known as Sailor's Home, but was called Sailor's Gold by the inhabitants. There stood many warehouses and docks, ready to transport and store goods from faraway countries. For a price, personal ships could get docked there as well for a limited time.

In the midst of the sailors arriving and going to their work walked Bender Of Iron Will, wrapping his dirty green cloak around him tightly to protect himself from the wind. With his rugged stubble and thick long silver hair he looked older than he really was. It didn't last long before the man reached a cozy looking tavern called 'The Drunk Shark'. Once he entered the place was decently filled with mainly workers from the nearby docks, enjoying their lunch break. Bender received many strange looks as he entered. He wore a long dark grey thick shirt and gloves in order to hide his arms. The town didn't have any engineers though, and it was strange to see a person wearing them over his forehead so casually.

Bender took a seat at the bar where a plump looking bartender with a great mustache and long hair that reached his shoulders took his order."Just some ale." Bender replied to him as he leaned on the bar, listening to the loud voices of the sailors.
"--and STAY out!" shouted an irate tavern owner as a young man with a blue cloak was hurled out of the bar and onto the street.

Arien slowly picked himself up out of the dirt and brushed himself off. He flinched as the tavern owner slammed the door shut. "Well fine! I was just trying to make a friend," he muttered to himself, shaking out his cloak and then checking to see that his sword was alright.

With a huff he turned to regard the rest of the port. He was no longer welcomed in the Commoner's Living area, so that left Sailor's Home. Well, he'd been on a boat twice; that might qualify him for a sailor.

He kept an eye open for bars as he went, before finding one that caught his interest. The Drunk Shark, perhaps they needed some excitement. He tromped up to the doorway, brushing what dirt remained out of his short, spiky black hair, and entered with a slight flourish of his worn cloak.
Bender Of Iron Will (played by Pirate) Topic Starter

Some of the sailors looked up at the robed man entering. An older sailor muttered something in the likes of 'there's too many strangers in The Drunk Shark these days'. Most of the sailors didn't pay any attention to Arien. A few would mention his robe though.

Bender Of Iron Will turned around to take a look at this newcommer though. He couldn't help but grin at him."I can see yer no native, boy." Bender said as he turned back around in order to grab a hold of his ale."I s'pose that makes us somewhat equal." He said, softer this time. After a hearty chuckle he took a sip from his ale and awaited a reaction.
Arien shrugged off the comments and made his way to the bar where the friendlier sailor, though dressed oddly for one, had spoken. He plopped down on one of the stools and grinned.

"Native? Not exactly. I prefer seeing the world and taking my time instead of staying in one place. I find I meet more interesting people that way." When the bartender came over, he ordered his usual: "A mug of ale, please." To the stranger next to him: "Did you just get into port then?"
Flavio (played by XinonHyena)

Yet another mug of mead was set down on the bar and with a wide grin Flavio picked it up to throw the honeyed beer back. Little streams of mead ran down his muzzle and into his clothes as he gulped loudly. A few sailors around him leaned in close, only to jump back when he smashed the empty mug back on the table.

“Three down gents!” The hyena announced with a high-pitched chuckle, grinning broadly at his companions. “That means you’ve already lost your best doesn’t it?” He asked, pointing at the smallest of the three men. “And you! Ahaha! You’re just one short!” He grinned pointing at the tallest. “You underesti-“ The mariner swayed in his step for a moment and his voice died away. “Undereshtimated meh…” He blinked a few times, trying to focus on one of the million sailors suddenly floating around in front of him. “And thesh mugs arr too shhmall for meh..” Flavio held himself steady against the counter and the tall sailor's lips twisted into a sly smirk.

Bender Of Iron Will nodded."Aye, been sailin' for three months straight. Nothin' but sea as far as the eye can see! Some o' the best three months I've spend, lad." His voice was rather raspy as he continued to boast about his love for the sea.

The sea captain let out a hearty laugh."Oh, lad, ya like to travel, eh? Trust me, nothin' beats traveling on the lady sea." In his talk he realised he forgot to introduce himself."Oh, I'm one rude basterd. ehehe, the name's Bender O' Iron Will. Just call me Bender, you land folk tend to have shorter names." He held out his regular hand, which was pretty large for a regular human being.

Bender turned his gaze to the Hyena, grinning widely."Oh, a drinking game I see?" He spoke to himself, not expecting an answer from anyone.
Arien shook his head, grinning at the man's love for the sea. "No hard feelings, but the lady sea seems to have it out for me a bit. Been on a ship twice and neither was pleasant. I much prefer the land. My name's Arien, Arien Chase. I'm a trapper and tracker by trade and necessity."

The drinking game going on behind him caught his attention and he turned to look; a sly grin crossed his face as his blue eyes lit up with mischief. "I'll be right back."

He stood up and approached the drunken hyena. "Good friend, you look to be in need of some sobering up." Slyly his hand slipped into a pocket to pull out a small vial filled with red liquid. "You interested?"

The drunken Flavio clutched the counter with a hand and turned, the effort was wasted though as he turned a touch too far and fell into the sailor on his right. The broad man rudely pushed him away which threw him into the arms of the sailor on his left, who was kind enough to set him upright again. "Eh... Thas cheating! S'no'nor in cheating. Ahahahehe." Despite that the hyena pathetically reached out for the vial, causing the sailors he had bet with to shoot him, and Arien, dangerous looks.

Bender Of Iron Will would soon follow Arien. Watching drunk people was his favourite way of passing time on the ship. That and the occasional monkey fight of course."Can't say I've ever seen a hyena this drunk before." When the vial was passed Bender took a gold coin out of his pocket, throwing it on the table and looking at the sailors of who'm he towered above."Let's bet, shall we? One gold coin that our hyena friend 'ere will regret drinking that stuff." He smirks as he took a look at Flavio, awaiting what would happen next.
Arien tried to hide the grin on his face as the Hyena swiped the vial from his hand. "One gold coin says he can't finish it," Arien replied.

His day had just got infinitely better. He took a sip from his mug when the bartender finally set it down.

Flavio doesn't seem to notice, or mind, that he becomes the butt of the new bet. The Sailors gladly join in on the bet, most of them follow Arien's side but a few braver ones claim the hyena'd be able to finish.

"Lesse." The hyena mutters as he pulls the cork from the vial and sniffs the contents.

Bender grins, the bet suddenly changed and he went in with it."He won't finish it. I'm with the landlubber on this one." He grabs his mug of ale and drinks in one big gulp until only half of the drink remained."Come on, hyena, while we're young!" He shouted as 'encouragement'.
Arien just sat back to watch, knowing there'd be only two reactions. He sipped his ale with a grin.

"C'mon, any longer and I think you're hesitating. Real men don't hesitate." Well, real men didn't exactly drink unknown potions in vials. Not that it was a potion, exactly. Just Tabasco sauce. But it was still potent stuff. Arien had only run into one other person who liked the stuff, and even then he was the only one who ate it by the vial.

"Smell's gooood." The hyena chuckles as he sniffs it, he isn't bothered by spicy! With his usual vigor Flavio raises the bottle in the air for a moment, and empties half the bottle in one gulp. He'd emptied all of it, if not for the fact that he dropped the little vial as he whirled around and to the door as fast as he could, yelping loudly from pain. "Fire! Fire! Fire! Mouth is on fire! Aaaarghh!"

The sailors had such a good round of laughter, those who'd lost the bet probably ordered a mug for Arien to enjoy, that was the best prank.

Bender Of Iron Will laughed loudly and rather obnoxiously as he gathered his part of the money. Another gold coin could now be added to his wallet.

"Lad, that was genius." He said as he patted Arien's back with a good amount of strength, luckilly not with his steel arm. He finished what was left of his drink and pointed his mug at Flavio."Hey, Hyena! Let me get'cha somethin' to drink." He said as he now pointed his empty mug at the bartender, who was hoping these people wouldn't cause any trouble."Give me, my new pal 'n the mutt 'ere another ale! My treat!"
Arien laughed, doubling over in his mirth. The hyena's reaction had been priceless; and his bet had been good. "Ale might make it burn more," he suggested as he recovered from Bender's good-natured wallop. "Milk or water might be better. Just a helpful tip."

He chuckled to himself, waiting for the hyena to recover before he properly introduced himself. Although, really, as introductions went, he couldn't have asked for better.

The hyena returned a few minutes later, water running down his face. Despite the prank that had just been pulled on him he seemed in good spirits. But rather than returning to his previous company Flavio made a beeline for Bender and Arien. There seemed the slightest hint of relief on his face.

Bender Of Iron Will grinned."Yer takin' it pretty well, considerin' almost the entire tavern must've been laughing at ya." He said, offering the hyena a mug of ale."Name's Bender O' Iron Will, lad. Just call me Bender. Got a name too?" He asked as he took a nearby chair and dragged it to the group, sitting down, but with his heigth it was as if he was still standing up.

Meanwhile most of the sailors were taking a leave. Lunchtime was over. The workers were still talking about the prank Arien had pulled on Flavio as they walked out of the tavern. All who remained inside now were the bartender, the group of three and four strangers. One elder man who most likely passed out at the bar, a bulky bald man in a chainmail armor, a large wooden shield on his back and a short sword hanging from his belt. He was enjoying a hot chicken leg. The other two were a rather large gutted man and a slender woman sitting in the back of the tavern at a table by themselves, drinking their drinks and talking to eachother softly.
"I'm Arien, Arien Chase," said the blue-cloaked man with mischievous eyes. "Sorry about that; usually a drop is enough to sober a man up. Half a vial..." he shook his head and tried not to grin too widely.

"I'll treat you to lunch, if you'd like. The burn should fade soon if you're not accustomed to spicy."

So saying, Arien picked up the vial and looked it over. He sighed as most of it had ended up on the floor, and then sat back down.

Flavio sat down as well, throwing looks around the tavern to make sure none of the sailors seek him out for their money, as fortune has it none do. "Ah, every man needs a good laugh now and then. Sobered me up too, powerful stuff." Another chuckle escaped the hyena.

"Flavio is what they call me." Fluffy round ears twitched and the musketeer's attention shifted to Arien in but an instant. "Lunch would be good. Yes." The hyena beckoned the bartender already, so Arien could order faster.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The swordsman, the pirate and the hyena (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus