Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Comics?

franky3.JPG

How I love them so ^.^
Anybody read anything good lately?
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I rather enjoyed Scott Pilgrim vs The World, so I bought the comic. Haven't had a chance to read it yet though.

Does that count?

The only other comics I've read recently have been The Guild.
Kim Site Admin

alabaster_snail wrote:
[img]http://pbmo.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/spider-jerusalem.png?w=300&h=398[/img]

Just so you know it's ticked because of the ?w=300&h=398 on the end of the filename. It thinks you may be trying to sneak code past it.

BUT on the original topic, I'm really loving http://www.other-worldly.com/ It just got started but already the first few pages are just so pro. She added an 18 years or older disclaimer, I have no idea why, it's totally PG so far. She is an amazing artist with a wealth of ideas.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

The art in that comic really is impressive, nice find :)

As for the age thing. Seems a little odd, I didn't see anything that would rate an 18 or above warning. Maybe has something planned.
OMG somebody said the magic word.

I am a HUGE comic book geek. I'm a major DC Comics fan, my favorites being Superman and The Flash (And Green Lantern, if Geoff Johns is writing it :D). I also love the Teen Titans, and have CBRs of issues dating back to when the sidekicks first started teaming up in the 50's.

My all-time favorites would have to be Superman: Earth One (A great modern retelling of how Superman became Superman, simply because it was written with little consideration for continuity), Kingdom Come (Seriously, look it up and read it, it is one of the BEST comics ever written in all of history), and of course the Blackest Night/Brightest Day arcs, simply because of how great a job they do of tying the entire universe together.

I also read Least I Could Do (NSFW about 50% of the time), Looking For Group (On occasion), The Dreamland Chronicles, 8-Bit Theater, Penny Arcade, Megatokyo (Until recently- Gallagher is losing his touch bigtime, the story just annoys me now), MacHall (I was SO sad when it ended), and 3Panel Soul.

I read a LOT of comics. A loooooot.
Andryn wrote:
I read a LOT of comics. A loooooot.
This is a truth.
alabaster_snail Topic Starter

Thank you, Kim. I was wondering about that. As far as online stuff goes, have you guys read any Goblins? I keep up with that, Zebragirl, and of course, this one;) Then regarding hardcopies, I'm into The Goon, Transmetropolitan, The Invisibles, anything by Richard Moore, Strangers in Paradise, and pretty much anything illustrated by Tony Moore, because I'm a sucker for his art. Oh, and Hellboy. Can't forget Hellboy ;p
Ilmarinen Moderator

Oh holy beans. I LOVE MGDMT.

I read Gunnerkrigg Court, Gastrophobia, and XKCD. I occasionally check for new comics of "Sucks to be Weegie!" too. A new comic I'm following is Thistil Mistil Kistil!

Also, everyone needs to read Ensign Sue Must Die. It's really short!

But if anyone says anything, ANYTHING about Marvel Thor, I will go on a murderous rampage. Just sayin'.
Heimdall; Ensign Sue Must Die!!! Yes! LOVE IT!

I read webcomics a lot because my library has a limited supply of actual comics.

My favorites;
Dominic Deegan
Looking For Group
Sinfest
The Gutters

If we're talking classics...

I'm in love with all things Spider-Man.
The Crow, anyone?

I keep up with these webcomics:
Lackadaisy
Sister Claire
Girl Genius
DMFA
Acrobat
..and some over at Snafu..

I plan on someday creating my own..hopefully.. xD If manga counts, then perhaps my list of comics I've read/will read might be longer..?
alabaster_snail Topic Starter

Oh man, The Crow made me cry... but in a good way. I read it in junior college and it's stuck with me ever since. Does anyone know if J. O'Barr went on to make any more comics?
Hahaha... *fistbump for MGDMT with Heimdall* I love the comic, I love Coelasquid's art style, and I especially love it when she notices a social issue and makes her point about it. She's so much fun to read.
Sinfest is awesome; Tat's been putting out good material for years. I like Girl Genius too.
and manga definitely counts!
:| < click it
Manly Guys Doing Manly Things is awesome: http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/

Y: The Last Man
The Walking Dead
Are two I've been reading. Recently I finished The Last Man.
I forgot about Least I Could Do...*goes to do some major catching up*
Dragonfire Moderator

Oh, man, I probably have thirty things in my webcomics bookmark folder. I don't follow much in the way of 'traditional' comics - used to read Archies when I was a kid, and on occasion some X-men or Batman, but never very seriously.

Faves in the webcomics, though, include Girl Genius, Penny & Aggie, Goblins, YAFGC, Lackadaisy, Girls With Slingshots, The Abominable Charles Christopher, XKCD, DMFA...

...I think I have things from just about every genre in there, sheesh.
For some good, old-fashioned paper reading, I'd suggest searching out The Light and Darkness War and Poison Elves at local comic stores, the kinds that have yellowing literature hiding in boxes in the back. I don't recall that there was too much to the former, but I believe I own them all; I was around 16 when I bought them, and I can remember being a huge sap for the main character's relationship 'issues'. I know both comics were interesting, but at this moment in time... all I can remember about Poison Elves is one of the comics having a hairy 'little person' on the cover. He was also dressed in a rather pimp, purple hat.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Comics?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus