Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Masquerade (Open)

Atoli (played by Beetlebelle)

She warily watched the doctor pass, turning slightly so that he would not be in her blind spot, before looking back to the Hanged Man. The wife’s reply caused the harpy’s jaw to drop slightly, incredulous; as if she were the one being gypped. At the knight’s comment, she wasted no time in promptly launching herself off the balcony to outside. The Jester’s hat jingled in the wind as she now carried it in one of her feet.

Atoli cursed quietly to herself now as she flew low and parallel to the river and scanned the shorelines for any signs of the wounded jester. When her sharp eyes locked onto a small smattering of blood on the rocky ground that led out of the water, she turned sharply to follow its direction towards the city. “Great… now how am I supposed to find him?” She flapped her wings hard till she could fly above the tiled roofs. She saw guards below talking to passerby; their expressions dark, and decided stick to less populated areas.

She was about to fly past an alleyway before something white caught her attention. She banked back and grasped onto the roof’s shingles before peeking down below… at a half naked man with grey hair. Her first thought was that it was an old homeless man, but his skin, though very pale, was youthful. The harpy’s eyes narrowed in assessment…his back was turned to her, but he seemed to be clutching his side... She grasped the hat into her hand now and gently shook it to create a soft tinkling noise from the bells. She wanted to see his face before she confirmed anything.
Romulus Mannix (played by paranoid_party) Topic Starter

The young woman sniffed, nodding as she took Crow's and hand and got to her feet quietly. Her gown was soaked through with Julius' blood, as were her hands.

When Romulus heard the bells, he took off running through the alley; he knew he had lost his hat in the river, which meant someone found it. The spell had made minor changes to his face, but knowing how keen the eyes of a harpy were, he couldn't risk her recognizing him. He needed this form to be a secret; if it got out, he would be dead. And more would follow him.

He took his hand from his side, stopping for only a second to bring his pantleg up and pull something from around his thigh; a dagger. And then he was running again, bare feet hitting the stone path.
Doctor Salih (played by Iltheyn)

"Do not fret for me, Ser. I was just going." The doctor was true to his word, turning and walking off of the balcony, across the ballroom and out of the building whether alongside the others or not. Either way he would take his own path once outside the mansion, vanishing for now into the dark.

_

Walking unwittingly down a web of city alleyways, Eike pulled his cloak around him to stave off the cool air of the evening. The temperature itself was not a big issue to the man but the confusing passages and unfamiliar buildings certainly were; as soon as he walked into most places the locals scoffed at his appearance and either shooed him away or casually denied him a place to stay for the night. It was getting late; the young man was considering that tonight may be another spent in the open after all.

The silence seemed to make his thoughts, as well as the slight scrape of his shoes against cobblestone much louder than they would be otherwise. Even so, he didn't hear the hasty footsteps of another until they were very close indeed. He turned his head, not quite on guard and uttered, "Huh...?"

(woo character swap)

Romulus had looked up a moment too late, ramming straight into Eike's chest. Had he been standing straight, he wouldve smashed his face into the other males, thanks to their lack of height difference. However, he only hit his chest, going stumbling across the cobblestones and smacking his face against the surface with a groan. He curled up, still clutching his side, but his knife clattered away and off the stone path.

Atoli blinked as the mystery man took off. She quickly put the hat back into her clawed foot and flapped after him, “Whoa whoa! Wait!” She flew after him, sticking to the rooftops. By that reaction alone she was sure her suspicion was confirmed. She thought that the hand that briefly came away from his side looked bloodied, surprised that he could still move so fast if he was injured. When he pulled a dagger she called out to him again, careful to not be too loud, “Wait, I’m not going to attack you, I just want to-“ She watched as he careened into another man, wincing a little as he sprawled onto the cobbled ground rather heavily.

Atoli quickly swooped down to take advantage of the situation and landed to try to grab the knife that had the assassin had dropped during his tumble. She didn’t know quite what to do now that she was there. Catching assassins wasn’t her forte; she mostly said that to try to get a rise out of the Crow… and now that she was being associated with the Jester she wondered if she should even be around him at all… She was hoping at this point to come to some sort of deal if possible, rather than turning him in. Since she too would likely be captured in the process.

She looked from him to the unsuspecting man he ran into. She still wore her exposed knee high pantaloons and the top of her torn dress, what an odd sight she must look… “Well then…” She murmured, mostly to herself.
Umbra Mortem (played by Lone_Otaku)

((Wait, Waitwaitwaitwaitwait, this is still open? Ohohohoho! Lemme find a way to squeeze in.))

Of course! She had waited too long, the Jester had already eliminated Lord Julius, as curses and disappointed phrases ran through her mind and spat quietly from her mouth, Umbra stalked down the streets. She had been present for the dance, the assassination and had been plotting to assassinate the Lord herself, but had waited too long. She had asked who had seemed to be The Crow for a dance, to hopefully get a drink with him and slip a bit of poison in his, but the arrogant bastard had turned her down for another woman, the harpy. As the elf tore down the street in anger, she spied Atoli on a rooftop, looking down upon a scene of two men, disoriented upon the ground, she watched her swoop down towards them.

Umbra growled quietly, baring her teeth, taking a deep breath, she moved forward, approaching. As she came within range of the three figures. The darkly clad figure whipped off her mask and threw it to the ground, running forward, "Are you alright?" She called out, stopping at the site of the two men's accident. She chuckled, "Quite the mishap, so, what are we all doing out here?"

((Revised))
Eike Ortrun (played by Iltheyn)

When poor Romulus careened into Eike he too scrambled and fell, letting a startled yip before landing on his side. The man hissed and sat up, staring at his hand to inspect the scrape he felt and then looking over at the Jester. "Woah, what is--" That was when Atoli showed up. His eyes widened like saucers at the sight of a harpy; it wasn't as though he'd never heard of them, simply that he never encountered one in person. In vain he tried to talk again, that was when Umbra arrived. "...Wow."

The sorcerer knew that there was something wrong with the man he'd just walked into, so he turned and made his way over to him. "Oh no. Let me see--" Eike drew his hefty pack off of his shoulders and let it sit on the ground, searching one of the side compartments for something to stifle the Jester's bleeding.

"This is all very strange, friends. I was alone just ten seconds ago." He called out to the other two, with a clear northern accent. Worldly or educated people would be able to pin it as Scandinavian.

Romulus had moved once Atoli landed, and once Umbra came running he scrambled backwards, his eyes big and wide, "No, no....this can't be happening..."

Besides for Atoli, no one would be able to recognize him as Jester. His appearance was completely different, save for the deep wound on his side. But he was still terrified; four people lurking in an alleyway was bound to attract attention, and at this point he felt too weak to run, shaking slightly both from the blood and the cold. Still, the male staggered to his feet, leaning on a wall. His eyes were pained as he looked to Atoli, "Just leave me alone, beast!" He had hardly acknowledge Umbra and Eike, besides for his fear towards their presence.

Atoli ignored Eike and the newcomer woman who began walking towards them; focused solely on Romulus, her green eyes calculating. She inspected the dagger in her hand quietly before tucking it loosely in the waistband of her pantaloons, the hilt sticking out against her feathery form. “I mean you no harm-” She paused for a second, not wishing to name his title aloud in front of the two other strangers. “-boy…”

She tensed momentarily as he got back to his feet, and crossed her feathered arms in front of her. “I will not. I’m in quite a bit of trouble now because of you…” Atoli replied in a calmer tone now, looking taken off guard by the pain and fear in his eyes. She was sure that this was the Jester, and had expected someone more steely and cold blooded than this frightened male before her… and judging by his looks must surely be around her age as well.

“I think would be in both of our best interests if you stayed quiet and allowed this man to help you.” She glanced to Eike, who seemed to be harmless and wanting to help the injured man. Atoli then turned to glare at the woman who was being quite loud. “None of your business, be on your way.”

"Oh, harpy, I think it is plenty my buisness. See," She gestured towards Romulus, "he stole my mark, and in a rather inefficient way I would say," Umbra turned her gaze towards the younger male, "Jester, you need to learn your place," She spat in disgust, her calm gaze shifting to a glare. A growl of sorts escaped her throat as she leaned on the wall opposite to Atoli, "Continue, act like I'm not here," the elf said, her golden eyes glowing in a threatening manner.

In truth, Umbra was shocked that Romulus would have the sheer audacity to assassinate the target in the open, with such a flourish. Due to his wound and short figure near her own height, her hunch had been correct, he was the Jester, or at least seemed like it. She cocked her head to one side, eyes closed, instead of dwelling on the matter, she tried to remember where she placed her armor and weapons.

((Revised))

((Actually Otaku, if you were to check his bio, Romulus is 21, Not a teenager. She wouldn't have been able to see him change forms either, as he had changed when he fell into the river under the water.
He's not a King, Julius was the lord of the region.))

He glared at the assassin, "You're the one who needs to learn your place, hag. Leave, you've got no business here. This is my territory, this region has been mine since I started my work." Short tempered too, it seemed; the young man seemed like a frightened deer, ready to strike at any threat without thought, "Efficient enough if he's dead. Every assassin has their own way, don't act snobbish just because of your special blood. You writhe in the dirt just like me, elf or not, when you take the name of an assassin." He growled.

Romulus Mannix wrote:
((Actually Otaku, if you were to check his bio, Romulus is 21, Not a teenager. She wouldn't have been able to see him change forms either, as he had changed when he fell into the river under the water.
He's not a King, Julius was the lord of the region.))

((Sorry, I skimmed over some of the plot, should I drop out?))

Umbra Mortem wrote:

((Sorry, I skimmed over some of the plot, should I drop out?))

((You're good to stay dude, just wanted to put that out there so you could revise. I just had an RP where someone was controlling my characters and inserting themselves into my characters history, so I'm kinda irritable. Sorry if I seemed like I wanted you to leave haha.))

Ortrun watched the trio bicker with huge eyes, slowly piecing together what was going on. "Oh..." The mustached man didn't understand how assassins worked very well and so was intimidated. Would they try to kill him for learning this much about them? Would he be arrested and thrown away for helping the man? Probably. Then again he really wished that Romulus would just stop bleeding, so perhaps he'd help anyway.

The sorcerer had no intention to try and force help on the clearly restless Mannix, so he just awkwardly offered him a bundle of gauze instead. "Uh... here."

Atoli blinked and looked at Umbra fully now, having not realized that she had been at the party. Though she supposed it wasn’t too surprising that there would be more than one killer with their eyes on the lord. And with a small hushed hiss replied, “Elf, you’ll have guards swarming us if you keep blurting out his title.”

She looked back to Romulus now, a little impressed at his tenacity despite having a hole in his side. Atoli seemed to concur with Romulus for the moment, adding, “Your mark has already been taken, so go prance off and look for some other score to eliminate.” She waved a hand as if shooing away the elf. Causing a small burst of air as her wing feathers moved.

“I on the other hand have some business with this one…” she looked to Romulus now, “Because of you I lost my chance of collecting a fortune from the guests, and now have a bounty on my head for apparently assisting you on your...job. Perhaps we can come to some sort of agreement that could help the both of us.”

The harpy didn’t believe that if she turned in the killer she would be cleared of her new bounty. Atoli fidgeted slightly and glanced at the end of the alleyway to check if they were being watched, wary of further discovery. Her gaze went to Eike briefly, worried he would cause a commotion.

((Sorry, I was busy most of the day, I apologize once more for any delays))

Umbra's glare grew dark as Romulus sent his retort her way. Instead of retaliation she stayed in place, her muscles tense as shadows writhed about her. The assassin's breath became shallow, wordlessly she walked away, head held low. The woman's figure faded into the inky darkness as she turned a corner in the alleyway. Instantaneously, she reappeared in a small room, away from curious eyes, her vision blurry. Umbra waited for her eyes to focus in the darkness of the area, soon catching sight of her black leather armor and weapons on a stand. Soon she had donned her armor, a rapier at her hip.

A sigh escaped her lips as she leaned on the wall, anger seemingly dispelled. She stared at Atoli with a neutral gaze, eyes hazy, then to Romulus. After a brief silence and a resetting of her gaze to the ground, Umbra spoke, "Guards would be welcome, given that both of you have bounties on your head, I could be paid with more than what was offered by killing Julius. Don't think I won't try, harpy," She placed a hand on the hilt of her rapier, "And you, Jester, I suggest the bloodline isn't discussed or... communications will be relayed, and not in a pleasant way. The fact of the matter is, with the way your target was dispatched and your recent assassinations have been carried out, you seem more the type to writhe in dirt with the title of glory-seeking bounty hunter,"

Romulus ignored Umbra for the time being, gazing warily at Eike's outstretched hand. The hesitation in his eyes was clear, but there was something about the blood on him that felt a little more urgent. He reached out, very gently taking the gauze-- Romulus made certain to do so without touching Eike's skin, "Thank you, stranger..."

Carefully, the young man began to bandage up his side, having gone quiet while he worked. He knew hanging around this Umbra woman would only get him caught, and he wasn't exactly sure what this harpy had in mind either; he had never been around her kind, in fact, and she almost...scared him.

Not wanting to use all of Eike's gauze, he wrapped his side sparingly, holding the roll back out to him, "I pick my jobs much more cautiously than a bounty-hunter." Romulus addressed Umbra now, his pale eyes sliding to her, "Though I do admit, I keep my work flashy. Quiet assassinations in private settings hardly ever instill fear in the crooked men of this kingdom. But when you kill them at their own parties, funerals, lavish weddings? That gets attention. That creates fear."

He paused, then gave her a sly smile, "But see, I've seen your face on the posters too. Calling the guard would only get you arrested as well, and then would you be, little elf?" He spoke as if he was much taller than her; without his boots, Romulus only had an inch or so on Umbra's height.

Once Romulus had properly tended to his wound the sorcerer sat back to watch the trio speak. Part of him wanted to flee or just remove himself from the situation but he wasn't certain that would be met well just yet. And since he just helped the wanted assassin, he might have to change his plans to leave the town as soon as possible anyway. Eike packed his gauze away, keeping an eye on the others and keeping his mouth shut.
Simon Haydn (played by Thekaleidoscope)

(Apologies for huge post)
Simon was lounging in his office, looking through the day's reports of payments made and money earnt. Occasionally he would glimpse up from his stacks of paper to admire the new crest he had purchased for the office not three days earlier. It displayed the Haydn coat of arms: a weighing scale with a stack of gold coins weighing far more than an octane symbol. Behind him on either side stood a member of the purple watch, their violet uniforms contrasting deeply with Simon's deep azure clothing.

A commotion outside the room pulled the merchant's attention away from the lodger in which the day's numbers were being recorded, after exchanging glances the two guards snapped to attention, always wishing to present a formal appearance to guests. The man who burst into the room, however, was no guest but Manuel: head of the purple watched, flanked by four more guards.

Bowing formally towards Simon he began to speak, "Sir! Julius has just been murdered! There are wanted posters for his assassins everywhere!"

Simon digested the information for a few seconds before working out the most important question he wished to ask. "So the Lord has finally died then... what a pity. What about his assassins, what information do you have on them for me?"

Manuel beckoned to two of the guards, both holding posters who displayed them to Simon before rolling them up again. "That's all the information we have at the moment, according to rumours they just strolled up to Julius and killed him! How should we respond to these events?"

Simon paused, slowly putting the book down on his desk, a sly smile growing across his face. "A clearly magical attack and one a non-human too, disgusting creatures." Pushing his chair back he stood up and manoeuvred around his desk, "You know I think we can make good use of this, clearly there will be a discussion about who will take his place. I think that we should ensure that whoever takes his place is very ... accommodating to us."

The guards exchanged looks before returning their gaze to Simon who was awaiting Manuel's response. "Are you saying we make them our puppet?"

Simon nodded, "In not so many words, yes. We fund them and they ... say allow us to help in law making." He paused for a few moments to allow the guards to mutter positively. "I think the first thing to do is go to the palace and present a few gifts to the grieving widow and perhaps while we are there we could ... remind the soldiers there about how good the pay is here."

With that said he exited the room, leaving Manuel to quickly make the arrangements.

(( No problem! Aww yeah, here come the fuzz to break up our little group in the alleyway xD ))

Atoli watched as Romulus bandaged himself, her eyes flitting from his wound to his pale face. She realized that his hat was still clutched under her left foot and quietly released it before pushing it behind her. It was no longer very useful… nor would the man probably want it back, she figured. She glanced down to look Eike, who was now sitting and staring at the three, the unfortunate bystander as he was... "You wouldn't happen to have a spare shirt for the man would you?"

She eyed his pack curiously now and took a step towards it, before Umbra reappeared. The harpy’s hackles began to rise at the elf's threat to turn them in; the feathers on her shoulders and neck floofing to make herself look larger instinctively, though she was smaller than all of them. Her eyes took on a guarded feral quality, glaring at Umbra as her hand went to her rapier.

She listened to Romulus's retort, and after a few moments for any further movement from the elf, Atoli shifted slightly to look back to Romulus, her dark green eyes glimmered with respect for his words about higher-ups. She held a special animosity for nobles herself.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Masquerade (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus