Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Masquerade (Open)

Umbra Mortem (played by Lone_Otaku)

((I like that word, floofing))

Brow furrowed, Umbra asked in confusion, "Why would you want fear instilling? Why flashy? It just makes your job harder," Her voice lowered, an unpleasant feeling rose from the pit of her stomach, "If the lords and ladies, kings and queens have this fear, they bolster their defenses, put up countermeasures, it makes it difficult to kill a target. I understand if you're looking for more of challenge or whatever but, this isn't the way to go about it. Assassin's work in such a way in which they keep their activities anonymous, they have different strategies, yet it's all done with stealth," She sighed, "The posters are up as a public notice, they suspect me, not want me," with a resolute huff, Umbra hummed in annoyance.

Looking to Eike and Romulus, the elf sighed, "Now won't you two stand up? I feel like I'm speaking down to you, I suppose we should consider each other equals," Umbra seemed over her anger and had come to a decision, she wouldn't kill Romulus... or Atoli. Eike, well he didn't concern her.
Romulus Mannix (played by paranoid_party) Topic Starter

"And yet i've still killed every single one of my targets." Romulus huffed, "You women whine too much, this is why people consider you a second class." He stood, sighing, still holding his side, "I do it like this in hopes that one day they will stop altogether. Out of fear they attempt to look humble. Out of fear they will shed their old habits. They will recreate themselves, and Jester will become obsolete. And I can retire."

((He's mildly sexist, I dont mean to offend anyone with it. Sorry))
Eike Ortrun (played by Iltheyn)

To the harpy's inquiry Ortrun nodded; he begun rummaging through his pack for it when the other two spoke. He shot Umbra a friendly, if nervous smile and shrugged. Then Romulus spoke and he paused, not smiling anymore. Coyly the man closed the container and scooped it off the ground, standing himself and facing Mannix. He fidgeted with his brat while peering at the Jester.

"...Do you really think its possible?"
Simon Haydn (played by Thekaleidoscope)

(I'm not offended, my character embodies racism and discrimination so I guess I'm saying the same thing)

In the lavish entrance hall of the Haydn family mansion, there was a hubbub of noise while guards and employees rushed to and fro, carrying out orders issued by Manuel and others. Directly in the centre, Simon was rapidly discussing events with his twin sister Maria, the two doing their best to ignore the noise around them.

"So Lord Julius is really dead then... and at the hands of a magical attack too. Well, things couldn't have been better timed for the rise of the Haydn family, especially when that project is almost complete..."

It would have been hard to imagine that the smile which was already plastered across Simon's face could have widened any further, but he did the seemingly impossible and it grew. "I was meaning to ask you about that and now you bring me this news. We are one step closer to eradicating those filthy creatures, the nobles will be afraid now and we can make use of that fear. The ... project will ensure that they come to us for protection."

Maria nodded in agreement, "This shall be a glorious new age for the four siblings, speaking of the others Charles is still holding a meeting in his office and Thomas is overseeing the final touches to that. I've got people waiting to inform both of the news."

"Brilliant, have Thomas sent after me when he's done unless Charles has any other plans for him. I'll be taking Manuel and some others off to the palace to console the widow and talk to the nobles, show them how ..."

"Reliable our business can be at protecting them?" The interruption came from a man, dressed in the same Azure outfits as the other two, yet there was something different about him. In the graceful stride by which he moved and the elegant embroidery on his clothing, all of it oozed authority and confidence. "I think I will be doing that Simon, we all know that I have a better time at persuading people to our point of view. You and Maria should take some troops each and patrol the town, find every guard you can and ensure their loyalty to our house. Coin should do the trick and if not ... well you both know what to do."

The twins smartly saluted. "Yes, brother."
Atoli (played by Beetlebelle)

Atoli looked slightly relieved at the cloth that Eike proffered, grateful for his willingness. She took a step back now to give the man space, not feeling the need to be forceful.

She didn’t get to hear what Romulus’ response would be to Ortrun’s question as she glanced at the street beyond their alley; passerby’s were beginning to notice their group and were pausing to peer anxiously at them and murmur.

“…We don’t have much time left to be standing here…” Atoli said in a low tone directed at Romulus, “I have no love for any higher ups of these lands, if you are able to knock them down using your methods I will aide you as I can right now… and you can pay me back later...” The harpy glanced up to the roof tops, trying to figure out a route of escape. “--I’m already being accused of assisting you anyway.” She looked to Umbra now suspiciously, looking hesitant on what the elf's further motives were, since it was true that she could likely get a good sum of money by turning them in.

A flicker of disappointment ran across Umbra's face as Romulus mentioned whining. She dropped the topic and turned to Atoli as she spoke, her mind working out a plan of escape. A groan escapedher as a stupid idea came, she had never shifted anyone other than herself. There's a first for everything. Right?

Umbra tapped her foot on the cobbled stone path, it was their only way, probably. The woman looked to the harpy as she presented her idea, "I can't go into the details of how currently, but I have a way to get us out of here. It's not proven to be successful, but I can try. Before we do try though, is he-" She pointed to Eike, "coming with us?"

It would be smart to keep him here, but for the same reasons it wouldn't. He could potentially give information to local authorities about them, the appearance of Romulus and Atoli, as well as Umbra's guilt. If they took him with them, he would learn more about them and could potentially cry wolf. Why did everything have to be so complicated?

Romulus looked to Eike at his question, "If the world around us has taught me anything, it is that under pressure comes change. If that change will be good or bad, we will see. But I would like to think such a thing is possible, even for them." HE looked away to listen to Umbra, and as if Eike couldn't speak for himself he just shrugged, "I'd say bring him with. On the chance he attempts to run away and share our identities, we have two assassins and a...bird....thing...." He cast another wary glance at Atoli, "....we could hunt him down quite easily."

H spoke like Eike wasn't even there.
The Hanged Man (played anonymously)

Once Julius' wife and both her children were safely sequestered, the wanted posters had been carved and taken to the printing press, and a guard posted at almost every crossroad in the city, the Hanged Man permitted himself a few moments of peace and alone time. He stood atop the castle walls, looking down at the main gates with his hands resting on the battlements. Soon it would be time to host the slew of "well-wishers." Sharks, he thought to himself, sharks and vultures, the lot of them. Very briefly he pitied the lady, who would have to entertain the lot of them. She was in a dangerous and vulnerable position right now--and her children even more so.

Crow closed his eyes and saw the lord's lifeless face, the pool of blood slowly growing on the floor like the halo around the head of a saint. Crow sighed and hung his head. When he first joined Julius' court he had been bright-eyed and eager to serve, but the years wore on him as they always did. Now he wished he could forget those early months, for they reminded him of what he had lost. Even Julius' death did not invoke any sadness or rage. Now, he was just tired--he had been tired for twenty years.

The twins quickly moved out into the streets and alleys of the city, each accompanied by a selection of soldiers twenty strong. Their job of finding guards was made so much easier by how prevalent they had been posted on every street corner and crossroads. There the simple offer of doubling the guards' pay would be more than enough to sway a majority of the 'protectors of the realm'

Charles, on the other hand, was striding towards the castle, oozing confidence and command as he moved. Following in toe were thirty members of his personal guard, the normal uniform of the purple watch was emblazoned with gold and their helms were stylised and shining. In the centre of their formation, four of them were carrying a large wooden chest, its smooth oak surface emblazoned with the Haydn family crest.

At the gates of the castle, the group halted while Charles took a step forward. "I Charles Haydn the second and head of the Haydn dynasty would like an audience with the late Lord Julians widow."

Eike went from a nervous smile to a frown; he didn't really want to spend more time with this lot than he had to. Seeing as one of them was injured and the other were still debating their escape the sorcerer decided to take a few steps back; it was with the hope that he could slip into another alleyway and book it before they composed themselves enough to give chase. He didn't particularly hate the idea of change in the hierarchy but he didn't care enough for them to volunteer his presence.

“As long as your route doesn’t lead us into any worse traps than this alleyway, elf...” Atoli replied before flashing a brief glare at Romulus; being called a bird-thing was almost as bad as being called a Magpie.

“Oi!” She snapped at Mannix, annoyed, “I’m a harpy! Embodiment of the storm winds, an agent of chaos!” She straightened to her full height of 4’10” in an attempt to look like a menacing, albeit short, fluff of feathers and claws. Atoli momentarily forgot she was still wearing the pantaloons and bodice of her stolen dress. She relaxed her feral posture when she finished. “…You may call me Atoli."

Eike's movement caught the harpy's attention and she eyed him, "Don't make me chase you down..." She warned, and flexed her feet as if in preparation.

Chuckling, Umbra shifted her footing as eastward wind picked up, she looked to Atoli, "Like those? There's the scent of rain in the breeze, a storm is brewing," She breathed deeply and exhaled. Dispelling the butterflies thrashing around in her stomach, the elf inhaled, exhaled, then motioned for everybody to huddle up.

"Alright, try to stay close together, it'll probably make it easier to do this," She frowned, "So the plan, this'll sound like a load of tosh, but stay with me. I'm going to manipulate the darkness- well more specifically the shadows- around us to shift into them, then errr... teleport us to another location in which a shadow is present," Umbra's mouth curled into a grin, "How's that sound?"

When the Lady showed herself, it was not the image most would have expected. Already she had donned her black clothing, but her eyes were no longer red (though they were puffy). She expected this, it seemed; and she was fully ready to defend her husbands seat, "I do hope you've come solely to express your condolences, young sir." Her voice was chilling and firm, as she sat back in the seat that once belonged to Lord Julian. Her hands were folded on her lap, and the woman had a bitter frown at the sight of them, "I am in no mood to discuss the control of my husbands land. Nor is it open for discussion."

Romulus couldnt help but snicker. Such a short creature, the embodiment of chaos? It was quite amusing to him, in all actuality. But when Eike moved away, the half-naked man stood firm, staring him down, "I wouldn't make an escape if I were you. To be honest sir, you have no choice in the matter."

The Hanged Man watched the column of soldiers approach. He recognized that gaudy purple getup--House Hayder? Hardin? His own armor seemed a little shabby in comparison. It was in working order, but had gone a while without a polish, and the bottom edge of his cape was a bit dirty.

The man below introduced himself. Crow remembered now ... it wasn't House Haydn, it was the Haydn dynasty. He rolled his eyes, likely too far away for Charles to see. "Her l-ladyship is grieving," he said. "I cannot guarantee she will w-want to see you ..." He eyed the man again. The Haydns were notoriously wealthy. Crow did not trust them ... but nor did he want to upset them, especially with the lady in so vulnerable a position. "... b-but you may enter, provided you s-submit to a search of your possessions."

As Crow turned away to descend from the wall, several guards emerged from the gatehouse to conduct the search. Of most importance was the chest, provided Charles consented to it being opened--if nothing was obviously untoward, they would be permitted entry. After a moment Crow reappeared at street level. He did not introduce himself; this could be construed as a slight.

Charles tilted his head upwards to get a better look at the man who had replied to his call to enter the castle. To Charles, the man was just another soldier loyal to the late Lord Julian, yet since had replied Charles reckoned the man to be of at least a decent rank. The response brought little to no surprises, though its predictability bored the eldest Haydn sibling. Upon focusing properly on the soldier talking to him he was pleased to see it was a human, the thought of another species giving him an order was one he found distasteful.

The second Crow finished talking, his response was immediate, "I am sure her ladyship is having the most difficult of times right now and her sorrow must be immeasurable. I am a patient man and so will be willing to wait as long as necessary for her ladyship to recover enough to be able to face any visitors. As for a search of our possessions go right ahead, you will find nothing there that is a threat to anyone inside this castle, much less her ladyship."

The chest would be lowered then opened up, revealing thirty beautifully cut crystals. If any extensive search was committed there would be nothing else found that was not on immediate display. The lack of introduction did not construe any offence from Charles or his company of guards, most of them putting it simply down to natural lack of respect from castle guards.

(Sorry about not replying to you Paranoid Party, the response from The Hanged Man I felt was the one I needed to reply to first)

((No prob my dude :) ))

After the soldiers inspected the contents of the crate, the Hanged Man gestured for them to make way. The sound of groaning chains came from within the gatehouse as the portcullis began to lift, permitting Charles and his entourage entry. The knight didn't leave their side, however--he led them through the bailey towards the throne room, where the lady sat.

"My lady," he greeted, bowing stiffly to her. "I present M-Master Charles Haydn, eldest of the Haydn dynasty."

Having introduced the man, Crow stepped to the side to watch the proceedings--it wasn't his place to intrude, unless he needed to fulfill his duty as loyal guard dog.

Eike raised his hands and stopped, his mouth drawing into a thin line. "Ok." The sorcerer straightened and stopped stepping away; he was already starting to regret his decision to help Romulus. Despite his desire not to he walked toward Umbra, furrowing his brow and lowering his arms. He opened his mouth to question the female assassin as to her methods; despite the grim situation he really was curious about how she'd do it, but he'd have to ask later. If there was a later.

Charles and his company of guards would not move a muscle or even allow themselves to react as their chest was searched, all standing in the self-confident manner of people who knew they had nothing to hide and wouldn't even give the time of day to anyone who felt otherwise. If any of the soldiers of Crow properly examined them, they would see that not only was the armour spotless and undented, but everything about them was pristine: their clothes were perfectly preserved and without a fault and even their skin was scrubbed and free of dirt. All in a flaunting of wealth and luxury that did not for one second try to hide.

Charles did and would never show it, but he was somewhat pleased with the Knights introduction, the wording echoing his as he had arrived at the castle. Without a seconds hesitation, he strode towards the large ornate chair in which the lady sat, stopping just in front to bow deeply and gracefully towards her. "My lady you impune my honour by even suggesting that I would be coming after Lord Julian's seat, I think for anyone to do such a thing would be the absolute height of brutish behaviour and someone of that nature should not be one allowed in civilised company. No, I come to reassert mine and that of the Haydn dynasty support behind you and the ruling of this land."

He paused for a second before adding his next lines. "I also came because we in the Haydn dynasty have developed something we are certain would lead to the capture of the killers of your late husband. So we came to present it to you and seek permission to use our private army in hunting down these vile beings that ended our beloved lord's life."

The harpy frowned and looked up at the sky, her brows scrunching close to one another. Umbra’s explanation for their route out did not bode well as the closed in space of the alleyway already made her anxious. “You don’t sound very sure of your plan. I would rather fly…” She muttered. “And where would we end up at?”

Atoli glanced from them to the alleyway exit; the sound of heavily armored boots were marching their way. She took a step closer to Umbra at the noise, looking weary but willing to work with them.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Masquerade (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus